Let's Discuss Culture -- Jason M. Ham Introduction

Share your culture and ask questions about other cultures. The idea is to learn something interesting while practicing English. Topics from this forum will slowly be moved to more specific forums.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Have you ever experienced culture shock?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes : 27

Let's Discuss Culture -- Jason M. Ham Introduction

Postby Jason M. Ham » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:22 pm

Hello. My name is Jason Ham and I am currently teaching full time and The Catholic University of Korea--Seongsim Campus in Yeokgok. I also teach ICC for a TESOL program in Incheon. ICC stands for Intercultural Communication and it is all about getting teachers and learners to understand more about the relationship between language and culture and become more culturally aware and culturally sensitive. I threw up this new introduction because the other one in this forum is outdated. If you have any interesting stories about cultural differences, it would be neat to hear them and discuss them here. Talk to you soon. 8)
Jason M. Ham

Re: Let's Discuss Culture -- Jason M. Ham Introduction

Postby 201020612 Jinseon Hong » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:40 pm

How do you think about gay or lesbian?
Most korean see the people negatively. but the some East Asia or Europe or America or etc...nation's people see positively.
I think we have to understand and respect them in my head.
but when I went to the philippines, I realized that's very hard.
because in that country, gay or lesbian is very natural situation. very very natural.
That is very different from Korea. That's a shock! *-*
201020612 Jinseon Hong

Postby Jason M. Ham » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:01 am

That's a good question. It has become a big issue and society's views are changing at a rapid pace. Do you have any friends who are gay or lesbian?
Jason M. Ham

Postby tanvi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:37 am

hi jason
im tanvi from india and i am also very interested in cultures of different countries. in my country the culture is very rich.....u must visit india once and you will see and definately like the food, dresses,traditions, places here...
tanvi

Postby mary_h19 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi, I am Mary, I am from Matamoros, Tamps. Mex., but I have like 11 years living in U.S.A, the thing is because I live in the valley, actually at the border with Mexico, every body speak spanish, that's why I need to practice more my english, I hope this forum can help me in improving my english.....
mary_h19

Postby lingjiang » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:15 am

hi i am ling . i live at USA now. i know a friend who is a lesbian.
i respect her sexual orientation too.
she feels good now beacause it is america. her parents ask her for dating some guy . she can not tell them truth
beacause it can not be accepted at china. man with woman . woman with man. it is nature. it is tradition.
but big city at china just like america. the fusion of diffrent culture has been accepted.
lingjiang

Postby mahmood chopra » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:47 am

hi i am mahmood chopra from Pakistan and working as deputy district officer at bahawalnagar.
Culture is any thing learend and shared by a majoriety of people living in a specific area. Customs,traditions,festivales, dress, meals, heros, language, religion are elements of a culture. Culture is a face of a society and gives recognition to its individuals. it unites the people, sets the values, assigns the objectives of life and creates motivation to achieve them.
mahmood chopra

Postby Umarndiwalana » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:47 am

That is wonderful question, personalty have experience cultural shock in many ways from my first day arrived in USA unto day i saw many unusually things to my Buganda culture like women putting on min skirt and walking almost nake, some people kiss in public especially of the same sex ,way people talk, beautiful thing like variety of difference delicious food, transport system, buildings,well -organized and clean city,
Umarndiwalana

Postby Mohammad Altamas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:29 pm

[quote="Jason M. Ham"]That's a good question. It has become a big issue and society's views are changing at a rapid pace. Do you have any friends who are gay or lesbian?[/quote
can we talk instead of chatting , is there any option where we can voice chat ?????
Mohammad Altamas

Postby wai myo hla » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:42 pm

hi, i am waymyohla. we also have gays and lesbians a lot in myanmrar. as we are buddhist, our relegion not allow such thing. as a buddhist, we must not do such kinds of bad manner. not to commit stealing, killing, drinking alcohol, saying lies and doing sexual misconduct like this is a big sin and we have to get away from those things every day in our life.
wai myo hla

Postby Floressal » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi! I think that everybody has to make an effort to respect other people as individuals and respect their beliefs, religion, sexual orientation etc. I personally know many people whom are homosexual, some of them are friends of mine some are not and I accept them as they are and respect their convictions.
Floressal

Postby Leticia55 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:32 pm

Jason M. Ham wrote:Hello. My name is Jason Ham and I am currently teaching full time and The Catholic University of Korea--Seongsim Campus in Yeokgok. I also teach ICC for a TESOL program in Incheon. ICC stands for Intercultural Communication and it is all about getting teachers and learners to understand more about the relationship between language and culture and become more culturally aware and culturally sensitive. I threw up this new introduction because the other one in this forum is outdated. If you have any interesting stories about cultural differences, it would be neat to hear them and discuss them here. Talk to you soon. 8)[

Hi my name is Letty and i live in Los Angeles, CAlifornia. As many knows California has a many cultural differences, but most of the poeple living in california speaks spanish so is really hard to practice english. Every were you go there always someone how can speaks spanish including people from another races. Is amazing how can people learn spanish so easily so i always think if they can learn so fast my first language i can do it to. So i consider myself a smart enought to learn how to write in an apropiate way. I stil have a lot of gramar mistakes and i hope with this awesome website i will be able to improve myself.
Leticia55

Postby maria012 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi! I am Maria and I am from Philippines. Yes it is true here in our country third genders are very well accepted but before it wasn't. Maybe because of the fast growing society and how people live in this new era too. Actually, Me myself is a Bi-sexual :). But i guess it's not really a big deal for many people. Anyway, I am new here hope we can help each other guys.

Love
Maria
maria012

Return to Discussing culture