Differences in cultures(from movies and tv shows)

Share your culture and ask questions about other cultures. The idea is to learn something interesting while practicing English. Topics from this forum will slowly be moved to more specific forums.

Moderator: Soon Mi

SilviaRina

Re: Differences in cultures(from movies and tv shows)

Post by SilviaRina » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:33 pm

You’ve got a point there! It’s really interesting to watch those clashes of cultures happening before our eyes. I’ve always loved watching Gilmore Girls, not only for its plot, but also for the picture given by the writer and the producers of some American values and beliefs. When watching a scene like that, which shows the awkwardness generated by the lack of cultural literacy, one can find oneself thinking (or even feeling) how stupid a situation like this one is. “Removing or not the shoes, ok, whatever!” Cultural diversity in a country like the US (and I must say in my own country as well) is something that is taken for granted – it’s there, but anybody really knows about it, or even understand it. What is really important for some is completely irrelevant for others, even nonsense. It’s amazing how blind can we be!! Completely disabled to perceive the OTHER, to respect the OTHER. It’s only when we are out of the comfort zone of our own culture, I mean living or visiting another country, that situations like that one lived in Gilmore Girls strikes.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:43 am

Thanks for the insight into Brazil. I also think it sounds silly to argue about shoes on or off but I've been through it. For example if I leave the house but forgot my wallet, I'll run in with my shoes on, grab the wallet, and run back out. I'm American. My wife, who is Korean, hates it when I "walk all around the house" with my shoes on. She wants me to take my shoes off, then go get my wallet, then put my shoes back on, then go to work (or whatever). Of course, then in some parts of America it's pretty normal to take shoes off before entering someone's home.

Can you tell us more about Brazil's shoe culture?

Oh and I'll put a few suggestions in bold below but overall your English is very advanced.
SilviaRina wrote:You’ve got a point there! It’s really interesting to watch those clashes of cultures happening before our eyes. I’ve always loved watching Gilmore Girls, not only for its plot, but also for the picture given by the writer and the producers of some American values and beliefs. When watching a scene like that, which shows the awkwardness generated by the lack of cultural literacy, one can find oneself thinking (or even feeling) how stupid a situation like this one is. “Removing or not the shoes, ok, whatever!” Cultural diversity in a country like the US (and I must say in my own country as well) is something that is taken for granted – it’s there, but nobody really knows about it, or even understands it. What is really important for some is completely irrelevant for others, even nonsense. It’s amazing how blind can we be!! Completely disabled to perceive the OTHER, to respect the OTHER. It’s only when we are out of the comfort zone of our own culture, I mean living or visiting another country, that situations like that one seen in Gilmore Girls strikes.

SilviaRina

Post by SilviaRina » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi James,
Can I call you by your first name? This is another cultural aspect that varies a lot from country to country. In Brazil we’re on a first name basis, we also use nicknames a lot. Let me know what you prefer, please. First of all, I’d like to thank you for your suggestions, they were valuable and it’s exactly what I’m looking for, this sharing on form and content. Learning is an ongoing “for life” process and I believe that this is what keeps us going on. About my saying above, I hope I didn’t give the impression that all Brazilians think that removing one’s shoes when entering a house is silly. I just wanted to make a point about the differences in cultures. Here in Brazil we usually don’t take off our shoes when getting into a house or any kind of sacred shrines, temples or churches, a part from the Buddhist shrines, of course. On the other hand, there are some families that I know that are adopting this shoe-off way in their houses, either because they have converted into philosophies like Buddhism, or because they recognized some kind of clean or even sanitary purpose to this way. In Brazil shoes are very important. Wearing the right shoes for the right place is a kind of a must here. “Smart shoes” as the British would say, are necessary if you want to show people that you’ve got on, or even because you need to work and live among people with money. Flip-flops (here called by the famous brand Havaianas) are a trend among all social classes, but, again, you must be careful on when and how using it. Women in Brazil are completely crazy about shoes, most of us have more than 20 or even 30 pairs – boots, high-heels, flats, pumps, even oxfords are a MUST HAVE!! And we have all range of colors; you think of one, we have it!! Our shoe industry is a major one, even international. We export to countries traditionally recognized by this industry, such as Italy. Coming to think of it, I’ve just realized that we don’t take off our shoes here because we simply love them, we can’t be apart from each other!! Just kidding. :lol:

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:19 am

James is fine. And thank you for the insights into Brazilian culture.

Just a couple suggestions:

if you want to show people that you’ve got on -> show people that you've got style?
Coming to think of it -> Come to think of it

SilviaRina

Post by SilviaRina » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:52 am

Ok James.

if you want to show people that you’ve got on -> show people that you've got style? - Actually I've chosen 'get on' for the meaning 'to be successful in your career, in life, etc'. What I should have done, maybe, is to add "in life" after it, as in "you've got on in life".

Thanks once more for the suggestions.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Gotcha - show people you're doing well, show people you're a success.
SilviaRina wrote:Ok James.

if you want to show people that you’ve got on -> show people that you've got style? - Actually I've chosen 'get on' for the meaning 'to be successful in your career, in life, etc'. What I should have done, maybe, is to add "in life" after it, as in "you've got on in life".

Thanks once more for the suggestions.

(102)SeongEun Park

Post by (102)SeongEun Park » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:04 pm

I think there are a lot of differences of cultures between Korea and America.
For example, Many Koreans live in parents house after graduation of high school.
However, it is usual for Americans that they have to independent life after graduate.

Jun-Hyung-Noh

Post by Jun-Hyung-Noh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:12 am

Understanding other culture is very important. I think there is no superiority in cultures. There is no inferior culture that exists in earth. When we go other countries, we should acknowledge the difference and follow their rule. If we do not regard them, we can get to confront a plight.

friesman007

Re: Differences in Cultures: putting shoes or not putting them while walking in the room...

Post by friesman007 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:10 pm

James Trotta wrote:James is fine. And thank you for the insights into Brazilian culture.

Just a couple suggestions:It's a very simple answer to such as question... It's depends first of all on where you put the shoes...In bed room and guests we have some special flip-flops. We cannot walk in in bed room with any kind of shoes...It's nasty and insanity... It's not a matter culture... It's a matter of Sanity and order in Mind...
Thanks

if you want to show people that you’ve got on -> show people that you've got style?
Coming to think of it -> Come to think of it