DO you know 'yaja'???

Share your culture and ask questions about other cultures. The idea is to learn something interesting while practicing English. Topics from this forum will slowly be moved to more specific forums.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Did you have to attend "yaja"?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 12

DO you know 'yaja'???

Postby Inha(53)HwangWooRyong » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:30 am

Do you know ‘Yaja’ it’s one of the way study. Yaja’ means extra self study but that’s not true. It’s control not by the student, but by the school. What do you think about this system? I think it is so useless but almost of high school student in Korea do that. Is there that kind of education system in your country?
Inha(53)HwangWooRyong

Yaja

Postby Jason M. Ham » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:22 am

I'm not too familiar with the term "yaja," but from what you say (and what I have witnessed here) the bulk of the extra studying going on seems to be a colossal waste of time. Most kids stop paying attention (after 5-6 hours of school in one day) and teachers just go through the motions.

I mean, do you remember much of what you studied during these late nights and early mornings? Is it all a miserable blur?

There is no formal system in the U.S. like this, and I hope they never decide to adopt one. I feel sorry for the Korean students who have to go through it--mostly because I don't think they're really learning anything of value in the real world. Short-term, declarative knowledge may get you a high score on some invalid exam, but it's not going to help you with problem solving down the road. Most of the knowedge is forgotten after the exams anyway.

You could do your little brothers and sisters a favor by writing to your congressmen and asking them to change the system. :)
Jason M. Ham

The extra study of the high school student

Postby Inha(53)KimByungKyu » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:53 am

I have an experience the extra studies too. Anyway I think that the extra study help to go on to the university. If The system guarantees real free it will be helpful to a person who has not no place to study. But actuality it isn't. :?
Inha(53)KimByungKyu

Postby hufs/ eunsol park/ 32 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:26 pm

I don't see 'Yaja', self studying system in Korea, useless. However, it has many possibilities to be useless because, mostly in korean high school you have to study in your classroom with all your friends. :) It can be a way of hanging with your friends if you do not want to study or you may
be disturbed by your friends who talk so loudly. Furthermore, I think almost every form teachers do not supervise every 'Yaja' time because, they are tired after long time of teaching students.

Therefore, I think we have to give students right to choose whether they want to study at home or study in school. Also, we need to seperate students who want quite room and who don't really mind. More teachers who have to supervise students during 'Yaja' time are needed too. So I think we need to find out an effective way to satisfy both students and schools. :P
hufs/ eunsol park/ 32

It is a kind of duty of all of the Korean students.

Postby Inha(53)KimJiHo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:05 am

"Yaja" is a time to study at night in a school. But, it is quite mandatory. I can seldom avoid it. Till now, I think that most of the students in high school are doing that probably. It is quite beneficial to me. I did not lke study deeply. And at that time, Starcraft was just come up. So, if I did not study by pressing from school, I could not enter a good university.

Anyway, "yaja" is a mandatory one. It must be got rid of surely.
Just in my case, I think of it now. It was good for me; however, nobody want to do that.
Inha(53)KimJiHo

Yaja

Postby Jason M. Ham » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:18 am

I'm sitting here with one of my students. She is in high school. She doesn't like it either. She says everybody wants to go home. She said kids can't skip it unles they're sick, but the teachers don't like it. Did you ever skip it to play StarCraft? If the education ministry gets rid of yaja, what time will high school students be finished? She says around five. If that happens, what will they all do with their extra time?
What do the parents think of yaja :?:

By the way, yaja is short for (야간자율학습), which means optional study according to my student; however, she says it's actually mandatory--not optional anymore. Some Seoul high schools don't have it because the students go to academies.

Perhaps the students should rise up and protest together-"No more yaja!"
Jason M. Ham

Postby Inha(906)LeeDongHun » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:44 am

Yes. I have an experience the extra study at the hihg school.

"Ya-ja" means "self-study after school".

But, I think "Ya-ja" means "forced study after school". (--;;)
Inha(906)LeeDongHun

Re: DO you know 'yaja'???

Postby EunsolPark » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:48 am

Korea should not encourage 'Yaja' system in school.

The concept of 'yaja' is basically after styuding. After normal shchool finishes, students cannot go home
and they have to be remained at shool to study more. The government and school keep using this system
because they think it is the best way for students to stuty more. But according to Korea times in 2002,
only 17% of students said 'yaja' is effective. On the other hand, more than 60% of students said
'yaja' is not effective way to study. This shows that most students are not satisfied with 'yaja' system.
Students should study when they want to study. But having 'yaja'
means it is mendatory to remain at school to study. I think this is wrong. Students are humans too.
They have right to choose when to study and where to study. Therefore, I think Korea should not
encorage 'yaja' system.
EunsolPark

Postby ksh8299 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:34 pm

When I was high school student my school had special education method. .

It is called 'YAJA'. It means 'extra study at night in school'. I think it is only in korea.

I had to stay at school until 9PM. We really hate 'YAJA'. Actually,It was hard to find high school which had 'YAJA' in Seoul.

However, It is kind of helpful way to study so my high school is very nice.
ksh8299

Postby James Trotta » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:44 am

So you hated yaja but your parents searched extra hard to find a high school that did it?
ksh8299 wrote:When I was high school student my school had special education method. .

It is called 'YAJA'. It means 'extra study at night in school'. I think it is only in korea.

I had to stay at school until 9PM. We really hate 'YAJA'. Actually,It was hard to find high school which had 'YAJA' in Seoul.

However, It is kind of helpful way to study so my high school is very nice.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Postby Parkjunghyun » Mon May 17, 2010 5:34 am

There is another meaning of "YAJA".

When you hang out with your Korean friends. Some of them might want to paly "YAJA" game, in which seniors have to play as juniors and dittor.
Koreans paly this game because we believe it can soften age boundary among generation.
Parkjunghyun

Postby Rachelle Koo » Mon May 17, 2010 7:38 am

Inha(53)HwangWooRyong wrote:Do you know ‘Yaja’ it’s one of the way study. Yaja’ means extra self study but that’s not true. It’s control not by the student, but by the school. What do you think about this system? I think it is so useless but almost of high school student in Korea do that. Is there that kind of education system in your country?

<Error analysis>
It’s control not by the student-> It is not control by the students
<L1 transfer- making errors by affecting the first language ex)order>
Rachelle Koo

Re: The extra study of the high school student

Postby Rachelle Koo » Mon May 17, 2010 7:43 am

Inha(53)KimByungKyu wrote:I have an experience the extra studies too. Anyway I think that the extra study help to go on to the university. If The system guarantees real free it will be helpful to a person who has not no place to study. But actuality it isn't. :?

<Error Anaysis>
a person who has not no place to study-> a person who doesn't have a place to study
<overgeneralization of "not or no"/simplification>
Rachelle Koo

Postby jieunjang » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:25 pm

'yaja'
When I was in highschool I really hated yaja !
Because I needed to stay in school at 11 or 12 o'clock.
I thaught it was crazy thing for highschool students.
Because most of other countries don't have 'yaja'

Still, I don't like yaja
becuase Studying is not only one important thing to live our life.
However, students need to study in school until 11 or 12 o'clock even they dont like and they dont want to study.
In American and many other countries, they dont emphasis and push studnts to study hard.
Truely Studying is only one way to live well. There are also many other ways !
However, Korean only emphasis studying to studets.
It is really a problems!

Many Korean students have stress and pressures because of studying
Korean educational system need to change !
I like American educational system much more than Korean's
jieunjang

Postby Daeun Lee » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Oh, i actually received help from YAJA. When i was in my high school, 3 hours of yaja is the most important time for study. There were so many interrupt things outside such as TV, computer, even singing room or game room. And with yaja, I could ask some questions to teachers easily. They took care of me, so that I couldn't sleep deeply and couldn't play with cell phone and it really helpful to concentrate.

And, let's look at it the other way round. Yaja can be a good memories. I also have many good memories from yaja. It gaves secret joy between friends. In Korea's educational environment, which is totally different from other countries', Yaja would be the best solution to help students go to a better college. We need different way because we already have different environment. So, in my opinion, yaja is necessary for students before Korea change it's education system completely different!
Daeun Lee

Return to Discussing culture