How do people exchange business cards in different cultures?

Share your culture and ask questions about other cultures. The idea is to learn something interesting while practicing English. Topics from this forum will slowly be moved to more specific forums.

Moderator: Soon Mi

James Trotta
Site Admin

How do people exchange business cards in different cultures?

Post by James Trotta » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Here's the discussion for the business card culture class. How do people use business cards in your culture?

Tibaijuka

Re: How do people exchange business cards in different cultures?

Post by Tibaijuka » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Dear James,

Just like in America, the culture of exchanging business cards in Uganda is pretty casual, and is taking root. Here, not everybody carries business cards as majority of people works in the informal sector.However, those in formal employment do have them in plenty. In a get-together function, say a corporate party, people often exchange business cards. If a person gives a card to another, it is customary for the receiver of the card to read it before putting it in a case. Likewise, if the recipient of card has some on themselves, they will give out one to their colleague.

There are no restrictions on what you can do with the card once received: you can write on it without the issuer of the card taking offence. It is common these days for some cards to bear the holder's photograph; others don't. There are times when business cards are collected at a venue's entrance for following-up attendees later.

Mind you, it is also normal but rare for someone to turn down a card offer.

Naimah

Post by Naimah » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:17 pm

In my country I don't remember how they exchange the business cards, but I guest when they are exchanging the business cards they shake their hands. Peaple who have small business don't have a business card. In USA peaple our culture they exchange business cards and when they are exchanging cards they look and they but on their wallet.

jai15

Post by jai15 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Hi
The Indian culture is an ancient culture and It labeled as an amalgamation of several cultures. Because it is a country where people follow different religions and customs. Business card culture is not ours. But we have adopted this culture from foreigners. 25 years back, Only the high society people, who are well educated and rich, could have business cards. Now a day most people like taxi drivers, auto drivers, retailers, salesmen, service workers, employers have their own business cards.
Business card culture differs from place to place in our country. If a person meets a married couple, it is formal to give the business card to man instead of woman. And It is uncommon to give a business card to a girl or a woman who stands or walks alone in the street. Then, if a card is given to someone, it is usual to place a card in his pocket immediately without noticing anything. Giving a good quality and good looking card is one of the best business strategies to attract customers. Typing fancy mobile numbers, fortune slogans behind the card are current trends of service workers in order to remind their services to customers.
Sometimes politicians who have their own business make funny business cards. One of my friends, a politician, who is a motor bike dealer in our town, makes his business card in the shape of turtle. Because the symbol of his political party is turtle. We teased him like “you indirectly mentioned the speed of your bikes by the symbol of your card. “After this incident he changed his card as a normal shape. In India writing back on the card is normal. My mom has a habit of putting all the business cards in her bag, though some cards are not required for us. When I was cleaning her bag, I was astonished. There were thousands of business cards. After spending 2 hours to clean her bag, I requested her not to keep all the cards. And asked to trash the cards which she does not want. But still her bag is filled with business cards. She says “Any one of this cards is needed at any time.so it is better to keep all the cards. “ I have no word to say.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:08 pm

Hello again :D
Tibaijuka wrote:Dear James,

Just like in America, the culture of exchanging business cards in Uganda is pretty casual, and is taking root. Here, not everybody carries business cards as majority of people works in the informal sector.However, those in formal employment do have them in plenty. In a get-together function, say a corporate party, people often exchange business cards. If a person gives a card to another, it is customary for the receiver of the card to read it before putting it in a case. Likewise, if the recipient of card has some on themselves, they will give out one to their colleague.

There are no restrictions on what you can do with the card once received: you can write on it without the issuer of the card taking offence. It is common these days for some cards to bear the holder's photograph; others don't. There are times when business cards are collected at a venue's entrance for following-up attendees later.

Just like in America, the culture of exchanging business cards in Uganda is pretty casual and is taking root. Here, not everybody carries business cards as majority of people work in the informal sector.However, those in formal employment :?: do have them in plenty. At a get-together, say a corporate party, people often exchange business cards. If a person gives a card to another, it is customary for the receiver of the card to read it before putting it in a case. Likewise, if the recipient of the card has one on them, they will give one to their colleague.

There are no restrictions on what you can do with the card once received: you can write on it without the issuer of the card taking offence. It is common these days for some cards to bear the holder's photograph; others don't. There are times when business cards are collected at a venue's entrance for following-up with attendees later.

:arrow: By formal employment, do you mean white collar workers?

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi :D
Naimah wrote:In my country I don't remember how they exchange the business cards, but I guest when they are exchanging the business cards they shake their hands. Peaple who have small business don't have a business card. In USA peaple our culture they exchange business cards and when they are exchanging cards they look and they but on their wallet.
In my country I don't remember how they exchange the business cards, but I guess when they are exchanging business cards they shake hands. Peaple who have small businesses don't have business cards. In the USA when they exchange business cards they look at each other and put them in their wallets.

:arrow: I wasn't totally sure what you meant with the last sentence so I tried to help but I may have changed your meaning.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:59 pm

jai15 wrote:Hi
The Indian culture is an ancient culture and It labeled as an amalgamation of several cultures. Because it is a country where people follow different religions and customs. Business card culture is not ours. But we have adopted this culture from foreigners. 25 years back, Only the high society people, who are well educated and rich, could have business cards. Now a day most people like taxi drivers, auto drivers, retailers, salesmen, service workers, employers have their own business cards.
Business card culture differs from place to place in our country. If a person meets a married couple, it is formal to give the business card to man instead of woman. And It is uncommon to give a business card to a girl or a woman who stands or walks alone in the street. Then, if a card is given to someone, it is usual to place a card in his pocket immediately without noticing anything. Giving a good quality and good looking card is one of the best business strategies to attract customers. Typing fancy mobile numbers, fortune slogans behind the card are current trends of service workers in order to remind their services to customers.
Sometimes politicians who have their own business make funny business cards. One of my friends, a politician, who is a motor bike dealer in our town, makes his business card in the shape of turtle. Because the symbol of his political party is turtle. We teased him like “you indirectly mentioned the speed of your bikes by the symbol of your card. “After this incident he changed his card as a normal shape. In India writing back on the card is normal. My mom has a habit of putting all the business cards in her bag, though some cards are not required for us. When I was cleaning her bag, I was astonished. There were thousands of business cards. After spending 2 hours to clean her bag, I requested her not to keep all the cards. And asked to trash the cards which she does not want. But still her bag is filled with business cards. She says “Any one of this cards is needed at any time.so it is better to keep all the cards. “ I have no word to say.

The Indian culture is an ancient culture and it is as an amalgamation of several cultures. Because it is a country where people follow different religions and customs. Business card culture is not ours. But we have adopted this culture from foreigners. 25 years back, Only high society people, who are well educated and rich, could have business cards. Nowadays most people like taxi drivers, auto drivers :?: , retailers, salesmen, service workers, and employers have their own business cards.

Business card culture differs from place to place in our country. If a person meets a married couple, it is formal to give the business card to the man instead of the woman. And It is uncommon to give a business card to a girl or a woman who is standing or walking alone in the street. Then, if a card is given to someone, it is normal for a person to place the card in his pocket immediately without noticing anything. Giving a good quality and good looking card is one of the best business strategies to attract customers. Typing fancy mobile numbers and catchy :?: slogans on the back of the card are current trends of service workers in order to remind their customers about theirservices.

Sometimes politicians who have their own business make funny business cards. One of my friends, a politician, who is a motor bike dealer in our town, makes his business card in the shape of a turtle. Because the symbol of his political party is a turtle. We teased him like “you indirectly mentioned the speed of your bikes by the symbol of your card." :lol: After this incident he changed his card to a normal shape. In India writing on the back of a card is normal. My mom has a habit of putting all the business cards in her bag, though some cards are not required for us. When I was cleaning her bag, I was astonished. There were thousands of business cards. After spending 2 hours to clean her bag, I requested her not to keep all the cards. And asked to trash the cards which she does not want. But still her bag is filled with business cards. She says “Any one of these cards could be needed at any time. So it is better to keep all the cards." I have nothing to say.

misslarios

Post by misslarios » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:01 am

Hello,
In El Salvador, Central America the exchange of business cards its pretty similar to the United States. Altough nowadays people chose to exchange social media contact info instead of a business cards. It's very usual to exchange a social media contact instead of handing out a business card unless it is a high executive that will most likely carry on business cards all the time. People usually exchanges business cards at any type of reunion in order to expand their networking since El Salvador its a very small country its very common to know everyone or one person can connect you with other colleagues and its very easy to get to know people and usually your colleagues will recomend you with others.

zshaur

Post by zshaur » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:18 pm

In my country of Somalia the business owners spread the word out about businesses through word of mouth. But now they send messages electronically. They like sending information about their businesses with texting. Sometimes other business owners help new businesses. They tell customers there is a new store that will be opening at that address or popular place they know. They still use word of mouth but they also use posters too.

MEW

Post by MEW » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:58 am

Exchanging business cards in India great emphasis, addition to your name and job title business card should say your education and university. The business card is English and native language. In India always use right hand to exchange the card. Mutual respect is important in India. You should take some time to read the business card.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:06 am

misslarios wrote:Hello,
In El Salvador, Central America the exchange of business cards its pretty similar to the United States. Altough nowadays people choose to exchange social media contact info instead of business cards. It's very usual to exchange social media info instead of handing out a business card unless it is a high executive that will most likely carry business cards all the time. People usually exchanges business cards at any type of reunion in order to expand their networking. Since El Salvador is a very small country it's very common to know everyone or one person can connect you with other colleagues and its very easy to get to know people and usually your colleagues will recommend you to others.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:20 am

zshaur wrote:In my country of Somalia the business owners spread the word out about businesses through word of mouth. But now they send messages electronically. They like sending information about their businesses with texting. Sometimes other business owners help new businesses. They tell customers there is a new store that will be opening at that address or popular place they know. They still use word of mouth but they also use posters too.
In my country of Somalia the business owners spread the word about their businesses through word of mouth. But now they send messages electronically. They like sending information about their businesses by texting. Sometimes other business owners help new businesses. They tell customers there is a new store that will be opening at that address or near a popular place they know. They still use word of mouth but they also use posters too.

Very interesting that most people do not use business cards.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:24 am

Hello :D
MEW wrote:Exchanging business cards in India great emphasis, addition to your name and job title business card should say your education and university. The business card is English and native language. In India always use right hand to exchange the card. Mutual respect is important in India. You should take some time to read the business card.
There is great emphasis placed on exchanging business cards in India. In addition to your name and job title, your business card should say your education and university. The business card is in English and the person's native language. In India always use your right hand to exchange the card. Mutual respect is important in India. You should take some time to read the business card.