Why are you studying English?

Say hello to people who are learning English vocabulary and grammar online. Tell us who you are, where you're from, why you study English, etc.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Two questions really. Your answer can be long or short. I just want to start learning more about you so I can help you better.

Why are you studying English? Why are you studying English at ESLgo.com?

Aziz

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by Aziz » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Why am I studying English?
There are some reasons that I am studying English.
First of all the English language is international language in the world that's why, I want to learn it.
Second, if you want to travel some where you should know English because most countries speak in English. In addition to when you know English language you can go anywhere you want and you are able to ask if you need something.
Well, English language has more advantages like English is international language and famous writers write their books in English and that's why I am studying English.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:39 am

All good reasons Aziz. Traveling and reading are two of my favorites.
Aziz wrote:First of all, I want to learn English because it's an international language. Second, if you want to travel somewhere you should know English because people in most countries speak English. In addition, when you know English you can go anywhere you want and you are able to ask if you need something. English language has more advantages than other languages. English is an international language and famous writers write their books in English. That's why I am studying English.
I love your last sentence by the way. That's why +subject +ing verb is very useful. That's why I'm telling you this. That's why I'm correcting errors. That's why she's exercising. That's why they're yelling at me.

Moregrace

Post by Moregrace » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:24 pm

I am studing english because it is the general language of the whole world. It helps us to communicate with people we have come across for the first time as well as people from different countries.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:14 pm

Excellent grammar Moregrace. To make this less formal you can say "English helps us communicate with people anywhere in the world." Not that what you wrote is wrong, but sometimes it's good to say what you want to say quickly. Short and sweet is the expression in America.
Moregrace wrote:I am studing english because it is the general language of the whole world. It helps us to communicate with people we have come across for the first time as well as people from different countries.
So you're learning English to talk to people worldwide about lots of different things, right?

Erika

Post by Erika » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi to all: Well, I'm studying English because I guess is the universal language of the world. I am from Puerto Rico and for us is very important to be bilingual. Recently I moved to Florida and I know a basic English, but I need to learn more to communicate effectively in both manners written and verbally with all the people.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:49 am

Hi again Erika! How are you? :D
Erika wrote:Hi to all: Well, I'm studying English because I guess is the universal language of the world. I am from Puerto Rico and for us is very important to be bilingual. Recently I moved to Florida and I know a basic English, but I need to learn more to communicate effectively in both manners written and verbally with all the people.
Well, I'm studying English because I guess it is the universal language of the world. I am from Puerto Rico and for us it is very important to be bilingual. Recently I moved to Florida and I know basic English, but I need to learn more to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English.

silvamani

Post by silvamani » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:17 am

Hi,
I am belong to tamil nadu in India. India has various language, every state has their own language.
English is universal language, if some know this he can sustain anywhere in the world. I am very excited to improve my speaking and writing skill.
As i am looking to upgrade myself in the corporate world, without fluent English i can not go up.
So i am studying English and like make the new friend around the world.
Regards
Silva

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Nice to meet you Silva :D
silvamani wrote:Hi,
I am belong to tamil nadu in India. India has various language, every state has their own language.
English is universal language, if some know this he can sustain anywhere in the world. I am very excited to improve my speaking and writing skill.
As i am looking to upgrade myself in the corporate world, without fluent English i can not go up.
So i am studying English and like make the new friend around the world.
Regards
Silva
I belong to tamil nadu in India. India has various languages, every state has their own language.
English is a universal language, if someone knows English, he can sustain himself anywhere in the world. I am very excited to improve my speaking and writing skill. :D
As i am looking to move up the corporate ladder, without fluent English i can not go up.
So i am studying English and I like making new friends around the world.

hollyce

Post by hollyce » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:14 am

Hello Everyone, Im studying English because its an International language. As an OFW its very important to me to learn English, so I can communicate with my Employer. Express my feelings and understand others. It will also help me so I can go out of my shell and not to be shy talking with other people.

silvamani

Post by silvamani » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:39 am

Dear Sir,
First and for most thank you very much for your kind observation on my mistakes and corrected that all.
I am taking to privilege to ask you something more from you which are as follow
Please also guide me, how can I utilize this website more helpfully to improve my English, grammar, speaking, vocabulary etc.
How will I get to know here where are going online classes?
I have decided to put my daily’s one hours to learn the English online through this website.
What is the best time to interact with forum members?
Please highlight on this.
With best regards
Silva

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Hey Hollyce - very good to see you here! This was very accurate :) A couple of punctuation things in the first few sentences and note the expression "get out of my shell." By the way, what is an OFW?
hollyce wrote:Hello Everyone, Im studying English because its an International language. As an OFW its very important to me to learn English, so I can communicate with my Employer. Express my feelings and understand others. It will also help me so I can go out of my shell and not to be shy talking with other people.
Hello Everyone, I'm studying English because its an International language. As an OFW its very important to me to learn English, so I can communicate with my employer, express my feelings, and understand others. It will also help me so I can get out of my shell and not to be shy talking with other people.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi Silva. First, taking an hour a day to work on improving your English is a big commitment and if you maintain that effort long term, you should improve your English a lot 8-)

Since the message board is asynchronous (people post any time from anywhere in the world), there isn't really a best time. But what some people have done is make friends on the message board and then meet up on Skype or whatever to chat. Then you would have to arrange a time with the friends you make.

If you are not signed up for a free class, you should email [email protected] but if you already emailed me and you're waiting, that's because i have so many people signing up. Please be patient.

And the other thing you can do is take the free classes and quizzes and then practice the language here on the forums or ask questions when you have trouble with a class or quiz.
silvamani wrote:Dear Sir,
First and for most thank you very much for your kind observation on my mistakes and corrected that all.
I am taking to privilege to ask you something more from you which are as follow
Please also guide me, how can I utilize this website more helpfully to improve my English, grammar, speaking, vocabulary etc.
How will I get to know here where are going online classes?
I have decided to put my daily’s one hours to learn the English online through this website.
What is the best time to interact with forum members?
Please highlight on this.
With best regards
Silva

hollyce

Post by hollyce » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:27 am

Hello Sir James,
Thanks for the reply and corrections.
OFW means Overseas Filipino Workers. Im from Philippines and working Abroad for few years now.
But still Im very shy talking with others ' cause I always thinking that maybe I used a wrong grammar and they will laugh at me. Im glad to be here, knowing someone could help me if Im wrong.

irma1

Post by irma1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:39 am

I have a more reasons why I am studyng English. .one because I living in America,I need English for school,for better job...I want know good English because on the future I want help my kid's learn well and corectli speak English. ...