Why are you studying English?

Say hello to people who are learning English vocabulary and grammar online. Tell us who you are, where you're from, why you study English, etc.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:55 am

Hi Irma. I've always admired people who study English in order to help their kids - I think that's very noble.
irma1 wrote:I have a more reasons why I am studyng English. .one because I living in America,I need English for school,for better job...I want know good English because on the future I want help my kid's learn well and corectli speak English. ...
I have more reasons why I am studying English. One, because I am living in America, I need English for school, for a better job...I want to know good English because in the future I want to help my kids learn well and speak English correctly.

Jessy1108

Post by Jessy1108 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:54 pm

I'm here as an Au Pair for 1 year and I will improve my english.
It's very important for me that my english goes better and better.
Please help me to improving my english! :)

Ann'JJ

Post by Ann'JJ » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:27 am

Hi all,

I am Ann from South East Asia. Currently I'm worked for the top three telecommunication operator in my country. This is my first job. I was placed under Intelligence Division. As others company, the spoken and written language here is also English. In office or during meeting, I am a kind of silent person not because I don't have idea or question to ask, but it is just because I'm scared to do mistake (whether for sentences or importantly for pronunciation) when I speak to all superior and bosses. Well, I'm new officer here, I just want to be out spoken but I don't have that confidence. I learn English until sometimes I feel give up. My written skills also broken. It is hard for me to communicate in English and writing with no grammatical errors.
Also I have limited vocabulary knowledge. I only have a will that I'll mastered my English in future. I cannot go far if I don't know English. I feel worst as an Analyst but not good in English. Overall, the reasons I want to learn English are for my future in studying or working environment. Last 10 years I hate English because its hard to learn, for now I try to love it, I have no choice, I must learn and keep learning. Please guide me in this learning process.

Sincerely,
Ann

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi Jessy, nice to meet you. Where are you doing the au pair work? When I was younger I applied for a few au pair jobs so I could see life in other countries. No one wanted me :cry:
Jessy1108 wrote:I'm here as an Au Pair for 1 year and I will improve my english.
It's very important for me that my english goes better and better.
Please help me to improving my english! :)
I'm here as an Au Pair for 1 year and I will improve my english. It's very important for me that my English gets better and better. Please help me improve my English! :)

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi Ann and sorry about your love/hate relationship with English. We can help with grammar, vocabulary, and writing here. Hopefully we can have some fun :D
Ann'JJ wrote:Hi all,

I am Ann from South East Asia. Currently I'm worked for the top three telecommunication operator in my country. This is my first job. I was placed under Intelligence Division. As others company, the spoken and written language here is also English. In office or during meeting, I am a kind of silent person not because I don't have idea or question to ask, but it is just because I'm scared to do mistake (whether for sentences or importantly for pronunciation) when I speak to all superior and bosses. Well, I'm new officer here, I just want to be out spoken but I don't have that confidence. I learn English until sometimes I feel give up. My written skills also broken. It is hard for me to communicate in English and writing with no grammatical errors.
Also I have limited vocabulary knowledge. I only have a will that I'll mastered my English in future. I cannot go far if I don't know English. I feel worst as an Analyst but not good in English. Overall, the reasons I want to learn English are for my future in studying or working environment. Last 10 years I hate English because its hard to learn, for now I try to love it, I have no choice, I must learn and keep learning. Please guide me in this learning process.

Sincerely,
Ann

I am Ann from South East Asia. Currently I'm working for a top three telecommunication operator in my country. This is my first job. I was placed in the Intelligence Division. As with other companies, the spoken and written language here is also English. In the office or during meetings, I am a kind of silent person not because I don't have ideas or questions to ask, but it is just because I'm scared to make a mistake (whether for sentences or importantly for pronunciation) when I speak to my superiors and bosses. Well, I'm a new officer here, I just want to be out spoken but I don't have that confidence. I learn English until sometimes I feel like giving up. My written skills are also weak. It is hard for me to communicate in English and write with no grammatical errors.
Also I have limited vocabulary knowledge. I only have a will that I'll master English in the future. I cannot go far if I don't know English. I feel bad as an Analyst who is not good in English. Overall, the reasons I want to learn English are for my future in studying or working environment. For the last 10 years I have hated English because its hard to learn. For now I try to love it, I have no choice, I must learn and keep learning. Please guide me in this learning process. :)

I'll try. I would suggest focusing more on the things you do well than the things you're not perfect at. For example you wrote that it's hard to write without making any grammatical errors. I'm afraid that might always be true. As we advance in a foreign language our errors become more complex but the errors don't go away completely for most adult learners. And that's OK. My wife works for a big cell phone producer and does everything in English. Her English is good but she still makes errors. She just keeps working and keeps learning.

So anyway, concentrate on doing things well enough to share your ideas and contribute at work - I think you're almost there :D . Don't worry about being perfect - just keep getting better.

Kamila

Post by Kamila » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:51 am

:D hi im Kamila im from Poland but im live at uk now. So my language is are poorly i want lorn more .

James Trotta
Site Admin

Re: .

Post by James Trotta » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi Kamila. So you're studying English for a better life in the UK? In some ways you are lucky because you can try some online exercises and then go try the language out in real life. You have to be brave - you'll make some errors and confuse some native speakers. But you'll be getting better. Of course you can try the language here too, get your corrections, and then go try it out in real life. The important thing is to keep using your English.
Kamila wrote::D hi I'm Kamila. I'm from Poland but I live in the UK now. So my English is poor and I want to learn more.

Gallantine

Post by Gallantine » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:33 am

Hi :) My name is Gallantine Antony, I'm from Papua New Guinea..I want to learn English because here, to be employed means to be good in English or at least know some English(verbal/written). English is so important especially when someone has dreams to further his/her education. For me, I feel the need to learn more English because I don't speak fluent English, and secondly I have dreams to pursue. English is spoken and written In every institutions in PNG and most importantly, English is the most common language spoken worldwide. All these are the reasons I want to learn English. :) Currently I'm not doing anything. When free opportunities like this pops up, I go for it.

sodza Dennis

Post by sodza Dennis » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:35 am

I want to study English because I want to have command over it ,since it is a general language in the word for easy communication with new people we come across. :D
Secondly ,during my basic education my English foundation was abysmal .It even got to a time when your collegues will laugh at you due to common mistakes we made , whiles the are also bad as you are .Because this I develop the behaviour of timidity towards the language English.
Moreover, I have problem with puntuation.I dont know where to put puntuation marks and :D i make spelling mistakes too alot. Hope you will help me achieve my aim here.Thank you.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi Gallantine and welcome. If I can help you get closer to achieving your dreams, I guess that will make us both happy :D
Gallantine wrote:Hi :) My name is Gallantine Antony, I'm from Papua New Guinea..I want to learn English because here, to be employed means to be good in English or at least know some English(verbal/written). English is so important especially when someone has dreams to further his/her education. For me, I feel the need to learn more English because I don't speak fluent English, and secondly I have dreams to pursue. English is spoken and written In every institutions in PNG and most importantly, English is the most common language spoken worldwide. All these are the reasons I want to learn English. :) Currently I'm not doing anything. When free opportunities like this pops up, I go for it.
My name is Gallantine Antony, I'm from Papua New Guinea. I want to learn English because here, to be employed means to be good in English or at least know some English (verbal/written). English is so important especially when someone has dreams to further his/her education. For me, I feel the need to learn more English because I don't speak fluent English, and secondly I have dreams to pursue. English is spoken and written In every institution in PNG and most importantly, English is the most common language spoken worldwide. All these are the reasons I want to learn English. :) Currently I'm not doing anything. When free opportunities like this pop up, I go for them.

Nice accuracy here. You may want to say "I'm Gallantine" instead of "My name is..." - some people claim that my name is should be considered an error because native speakers don't usually say my name is (they say I'm). The grammar is fine so it's up to you.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Nice to meet you Sodza :D
sodza Dennis wrote:I want to study English because I want to have command over it ,since it is a general language in the word for easy communication with new people we come across. :D
Secondly ,during my basic education my English foundation was abysmal .It even got to a time when your collegues will laugh at you due to common mistakes we made , whiles the are also bad as you are .Because this I develop the behaviour of timidity towards the language English.
Moreover, I have problem with puntuation.I dont know where to put puntuation marks and :D i make spelling mistakes too alot. Hope you will help me achieve my aim here.Thank you.
I want to study English because I want to have command over it, since it is the wolrd's lingua franca for easy communication with new people we come across. :D Secondly, during my basic education my English foundation was abysmal. It even got to the point where my colleagues would laugh at me due to common mistakes. Because of this I became timid towards English. Moreover, I have problems with punctuation. I don't know where to put punctuation marks and :D i make a lot of spelling mistakes too. Hope you will help me achieve my aim here.Thank you.[/quote]

Thanks for the introduction. I hope we can help you use English with more confidence. For spelling, have you tried a spellchecker? For example when you spelled punctuation wrong I just fixed it with my spellcheck instead of fixing it myself. For punctuation, let's start with putting periods and commas right after the word (not after a space). That should be a big help for your readers.

Welcome aboard!

sodza Dennis

Post by sodza Dennis » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:38 pm

Thank you.

Emusha

Post by Emusha » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:03 pm

Because, since i am leaving in USA i should learn English for my work and for my future education.
Also it's important to learning English for traveling around the world.
I aporictiat you for your help.
Thank you.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Hello Emusha!
Emusha wrote:Because, since i am leaving in USA i should learn English for my work and for my future education.
Also it's important to learning English for traveling around the world.
I aporictiat you for your help.
Thank you.

Since I am living in the USA I should learn English for my work and for my future education.
Also it's important to learn English for traveling around the world.
I appreciate you for your help.
Thank you.

ionedomingo

Post by ionedomingo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:25 pm

I live in the Philippines and my job would require me to make sure that I can communicate in English well. I usually conduct initial interviews and I would like to make sure that when I communicate and pronounce words they are correct. I would love to learn more on how to improve my communications skills. Thank you.