Why are you studying English?

Say hello to people who are learning English vocabulary and grammar online. Tell us who you are, where you're from, why you study English, etc.
Post Reply
Tijani
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by Tijani » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:06 pm

hello i am Tijani,

First of all i wanna thank you for my first assighnment i want to start by introducing my self i have been in the USA for 2years now the reason why i want to learn English is because, i want to get my GED to pursued my dream, i want to go to college to and study nurse i am going to be communicably with people in English if i become nurse that is why i want to study English i hope i explain my self clear

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks for posting.
Ping Klein wrote:The reason is why I am studying English because I'm living in a English country, trying to involved into the local culture, custom, and making new friends. Secondly, I need a better job here, and I am trying to get a certificate for a position. So I have to improve my English skill to achieve my goal.

I think, taking a online writing class is very convenient, and I can practice with my writing whenever I want. I would be a good idea, so I'd like to give it a try.
Living in an English speaking country, trying to be involved in the local culture and customs... Everything else was very accurate.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Great to have you here. I am sorry to hear that you are struggling and even harder to say that the struggle is normal and will last your whole liftime. We just need ot have some fun as we struggle.
kyawzaw wrote:I have been learning English for two years , and I can not improve very much speaking, writhing and listening. Reading is not bad, but I still have lots of problems with new words . I try to read and listen news and watch the
English movies to improve my language skill , but I can not make big difference. I am learning English because English is international language and language is powerful.
...I haven't improved my speaking, writing, and listening very much.
I try to read and listen to the news and watch English movies...
...I can not make a big difference.
...English is an international language...

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi Madar. Thanks for trying out some very complex grammar.
madar wrote:I am learning English because my work is dependant on it. I work for an organization which English is the common language of communication. I need to read, write emails and reports. When I do a task and want report how it is done I need to write comprehensive, informative and persuasive report to convince the audience of the report shake their heads and agree what my message is conveying. I want to interpret the actions into the simple language that people in far places can understand what is going on and can respond to me to further production of the business.

Thanks
I work for an organization in which English is the common language...

I need to write comprehensive, informative and persuasive reports to convince the audience to nod their heads and agree with the message I am conveying

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:00 am

Yoka, you are correct - using English is better than studying about English grammar. But you will benefit from feedback so you know when you use it correctly and when you make errors. Good thing you're here so I can give you feedback!
yoka wrote:Hey! The English I had been learning in school was completely useless, and now i'm having a lot of problems, especially about finding work. I need to practice EVERYTHING, and i find it much better, more practical and interesting, to simply talk whit someone on English, than spend ours and ours in endless learning grammar by heart. Don't get me wrong - i do want to learn grammar, just think this makes it easier and more efficient. I especially need to improve my writing skills.
I find it much better, more practical and interesting, to simply talk with someone in English, than to spend hours and hours learning grammar by heart.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:08 am

Hi Apple. Welcome!
Apple29 wrote:I want to study english because I want to be more competitive, I have so many ideas & i love talking to other people but sometimes it hinders me to tell what I want & what I think because I am not fluent in speaking english. I want to have a mastery of the language so that I can talk to someone, expresses my opinion & have a conversation to whatever nationality he/she is. So I hope that this site will be a great help to me to have the mastery of the language & I want to meet new people hopefully to be my friends across the world.
sometimes I have trouble saying what I want or what I think because I am not fluent in speaking English

...so that I can talk to someone, expresses my opinion & have a conversation regardless of what nationality the other person is.

I want to meet new people to hopefully be my friends across the world

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:47 am

Hi Juliz - thanks for the details! I like your advice about tolerating errors. You have to make errors - they are part of the learning process.
juliz1985 wrote:I have always considered myself as a long life learner. It means, although I am not studying English, since I am already an English teacher and professor; I have always thought, learning a language is a process where you are always acquiring and learning itself. It is amazing how every single day, I learn a new word, an expression, or even I recall or remember some words I have learnt, through this schooling process, and I have not used them for a while. All this is just one of the aspect I can mention about my learning process, which is also align with the idea of practicing and improving my skills by performing activities such as: Listening to music, watch TED videos, listening to conferences, lectures and academic presentations, reading authentic materials (mainly literature) and of course, finding excuses to practice my speaking (everyday conversations) with colleagues, students and friends who either speak or know the language.

Now, as an English teacher, I have heard millions of reasons people have to study the language, they range from personal matters and interests (like of the language, desire to travel abroad, interest in the music) to institutional requirements and policies that ask people to study it in order to graduate or receive a diploma. There are also those people who have to take international tests to either study a post-degree program overseas or to apply for job that requires this item as part of the selection process, and they have to do it as the main reason to study this foreign or second language, depending on the situation and context they are in.

Regardless the reason you have or have chosen to study English, my advice is to do it with passion, look for constant and appropriate practice and always remember, errors and mistakes occasionally occur, even in your language one, so do not feel intimidated or bad, if you make a couple of them, from time to time, when speaking or writing, just do it, and feel happy with the little achievements and improvements you get while working on this process of being proficient in a second or foreign language.
I have always considered myself as a lifelong learner.
Learning a language is a process where you are always acquiring and learning.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:56 am

Traveling around the world sounds fun :D
khansharani wrote:I am learning English because i am gonna travel all over the world .and i like English .and i wanna be an educated person so people can understand me better. I wanna know more about vocab that why :D
I want to know more about vocab - that's why.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 am

Hi Latoucha.
latoucha wrote:i'm latoucha. i study english because i want to go back to school and have a degree
...and get my degree.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:04 am

Seems like an important job that requires clear communication. I think we can help!
jktarrobal wrote:I am studying English because I want to improve my writing skills and my language in English. I work as a customer service at the drug store here in Canada and some customer commenting that I need to speak fluenly. And just few weeks ago I took an exam to upgrade my acedemis but sadly I didn't passed. They said that I need to improve my writing skills. I hope you can help me in this matter. Thank you!
I work as a customer service representative at a drug store here in Canada and some customers have commented that I need to speak fluently.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:05 am

Hey Willis. Welcome! What do you mean by the idiom universal?
Willis19 wrote:Hi, my name is Ale. I´m studing English for four reasons, one is very importan for my carrer, two is the idiom universal, three I want to travel aroand the woed and four I want to word in other contry for example U.S.A OR Canada.
I want to communicate in other contries, for example U.S.A OR Canada.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:07 am

The same things happened to me in Korea.
Hammad wrote:Hi I moved to US like 3 years ago.iam 30 years old. Now the situation is that I have alot of gramatical mistakes, I have pronunciation problem some time when I speak with native they say me sorry what you say. So I want to overcome my difficulties. Thank you
I have pronunciation problems sometimes when I speak and native speakers might say "sorry what did you say?"

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:20 am

Welcome :D
Bibis90 wrote:Well where do I start? I came to the states when I was young (high school) and even thou I had English classes I never had grammar so I really feel that I need some kind of guidance with my future perfect tense , punctuation etc. In additIon, I started a new job that requires me to do a lot of reports and I don't want to look unprofessional. I strongly believe that any little thing would help me become better on what I think is my weakness. Believe me, when it comes to writing essays I suck . I can't put my thoughts in writing .
Well the future perfect isn't easy, but in a few weeks you will have had several opportunities to practice using it. Overall, your grammar is accurate but as you try out more difficult grammar, I'll be here with feedback.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:23 am

Warm greetings to you!
jai15 wrote:Hey James,
Warm greetings.
First of all I thank you for giving the First assignment 'Why are you studying English?' which remember my purpose of learning to me.There are three reasons that I would like to learn english.

First,I would like to perceive a Master degree in US.For that I have to get good marks in TOEFL.I think this platform should be very helpful to improve
my english skills in Reading ,writing and listening.

Second,I have a plan to go to work in IT field.Before going to that,I need to improve my communication skill and businees writing.

Last But not least ,English is my passion.I am very proud when I talk or write in english fluently with out any errors.

Thank you James!!!
Have a wonderful day.
...which reminds me of my purpose for learning.

I would like to earn a Master's degree....

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Why are you studying English?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:25 am

Thanks for posting :D
Tijani wrote:hello i am Tijani,

First of all i wanna thank you for my first assighnment i want to start by introducing my self i have been in the USA for 2years now the reason why i want to learn English is because, i want to get my GED to pursued my dream, i want to go to college to and study nurse i am going to be communicably with people in English if i become nurse that is why i want to study English i hope i explain my self clear
I want to get my GED to pursue my dream.
I want to go to college and study nursing.
I am going to be communicating with people in English if I become a nurse.

Post Reply