Do you exercise and eat right?

Say hello to people who are learning English vocabulary and grammar online. Tell us who you are, where you're from, why you study English, etc.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Do you exercise and eat right?

Post by James Trotta » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:07 pm

Here is the discussion for http://eslgo.com/classes/vocabulary/dan ... besity.php

Please talk about your philosophy on staying healthy.

Khin Sandy

Re: Do you exercise and eat right?

Post by Khin Sandy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:49 am

No. I am not doing exercise during a year although I have an idea to do exercise one hour for a day. Reasons might be so many. The first one is I am very tired to do exercise as like running or swimming after my working time. However I know that I am at good condition right now. I am under BMI limits and I am not obese. I think I eat right even I love to eat many spicy foods for my every meals. I eat not many as much as I want. I agree that doing exercise and eating right foods will go my life to be healthy. I love to do exercise but I have no time. That is my first and big reason for not doing exercise everyday.

gandaka

Post by gandaka » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Yes. It's been almost 3 years now since I started exercising. I was fat before and it really scares me. I didn't care about my appearance before. :D And one time I posted a photo of myself on FB, all the comments were not good. They were all shocked and didn't like what they see. LOL. And my mom starts to worry about my health. So I realized it is time for a change. First, my exercise was zumba, and then walking, and later on extreme yoga. But now that my husband and I are planning to have a baby, I changed my exercise a little to light yoga, as heavy/extreme exercise is not advisable. I changed my diet as well. I eat right/good food: veggies, fruits and plenty of water. But sometimes when I have cravings I indulge some of my fave food, like burgers, french fries, sweets, etc. but very seldom only. By the way, I got back the weight I had before when I first got here in the US. Thank you.

Nancy

Post by Nancy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:02 pm

I believe that exercising is good for our health, but then when I think about the fees that I have to pay for the gym I change my mind as I can not afford it. I eat what I cook. I avoid eating fast food, although I crave it sometimes. Every day I walk from home to the work. Also I work at home, cleaning, cooking and playing with my daughter. I consider it daily exercise.

jai15

Post by jai15 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Hey,
Today about 1 in 3 children is affected by obesity. More than 35%of adults suffer with overweight and obesity. Before going to the further discussion about obesity, We have to get to know “what is obesity? ”It is simply defined as excess body fat. There are myriad reasons for a person to become over weight. There are genetic disorders, hormone imbalances, stress and so on. But I think the main two factors are less physical work and the current food habits.

One of the reasons for decreasing physical activities in our day to day life is our modern technology. It is true, technologies and inventions save our time and makes our life easier and better. But at the same time they lead us to turn into a sedentary life style. The most children and teenagers always prefer to play video games, spend time with smart phones and iPod instead of playing outdoor games. The another reason for obesity is our fast food culture. For example when my mom was a child, she did not know about packet food and frozen food .whatever she ate was homemade food which was prepared by her mam and fresh vegetables and fruits which grew up in the form with out pesticides. ‘But the current generations like packet food, fries, greasy food more than fresh vegetables and fruits. Eating fatty food and staying inside with video games are making our children to become over weight.

I neither criticize nor support weight lifting. Because I never try this exercise and I don’t know whether this exercise is suitable for women. Some physicians says that lifting heavy weights is not good for women. But It depends on one’s own interest. My suggestion is ‘something is always better than nothing. ‘Choose any kind of physical activities which is interested you like walking, swimming, dancing, doing yoga etc.. And allocate some time for practicing that activity every day.

As a mother or father, it is our responsibility to prevent our children from obesity. Play some outdoor games like Tennis football to your children ,even though you don’t know those games very well. And spending time with children is one of the best physical activity for you getting in shape. Fill your fridge with vegetables and fruits instead of ready-made and packet foods. Though you are a 24/7 busy man or woman,Don’t forget to drink plenty of water. Peaceful mind, Healthy food, fit body make our life happy.

Shakema

Post by Shakema » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Eating healthy and committing to an physical active lifestyle is difficult for me to commit to. I am aware of the benefits of eating healthy and exercising regularly. I do not eat the correct foods to maintain a healthy life. One of my bad habits is drinking soda which is high in sugar and calories. I look forward to drinking a soda with my dinner every night. If I continue drinking soda I may endure other health issues. Such as becoming over weight and possible diabetes. I am at risk of developing one of the two side effects if not both. Diabetes runs in my family and I know first hand how a person changes once they are diagnosed with diabetes. Once diagnosed with diabetes you are forced to change your eating habits. To avoid developing any of the conditions I have to start exercising and eating healthier.

Amyhernandez

Post by Amyhernandez » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:02 pm

Is really important to exercise a lot and to eat healthy. I exercises only when I am taking a class at my school, but other than that no I think I should exercise more. I like exercising but I am lazy. The only thing that I like to do as an exercise is to swim and to strech my all body. I don't really eat healthy. I don't eat junck food but I don't either eat healthy. I rarely eat vegetables I only like brokoli and squash these are the only two vegetables I like. I think is important to eat healthy and to exercises daily. If we don't do all this things we will earn weight this could take us to obesity, and other diseases. my dad is 53 and he is over weight from his stomic he is fat from his arms he is alright, but still just with his stomic he looks bad. I don't want to look like my dad. Today in our society more than half of the people who live in the United States are over weight. This is happening more in children under 8 years. Because they don't know how bad is to be fat this is due to the reason that they parents don't teach them the right habits. Before people used to think that if you were fat you were pretty. Now is different although if you are too skinny people judge you. If people see you skinny they tell you that you should win a little be of weight. People make jokes of you they laugh of you. After my friends told me I was to skinny I started eating more and not exercising. now I am not fat, but I won a little more weigh than what I had. Now my dad I telling me that in 3 o 5 years if I don't do exercises I will be more fat them him. I don't want to be more fat than my dad now I am going to start doing exercises every day. I don't promise to eat vegetables because i don't really like vegetables. Let's see how it goes by just doing exercise.

Komella

Post by Komella » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:47 am

Well,I am happy that you asked that question as it took me so long to start eating right and give my body some of its rights .
In the past few years I gradually gained weight and I had several trials to lose it but whenever I lose some weight (even with the help of a nutritionist),I gain it again and even more. My overall health kept retarding, I discovered that my cholesterol level increased and I had back problems that kept me awake at night suffering from back pain, had migraines, bad memory and I felt that I am really getting old and Most of my clothes did not fit . I hated that feeling because In a way that wasn't me.
I started reading about healthy food and healthy habits and exercises as I receive daily emails concerning having good health from (Harvard Medical School) in different health topics .
I discovered that everything is related together as a chain; eating healthy food,having exercise in the proper way that suits you, having good quality of sleep and trying to be positive and live happy. That must be your life style.
As for me, it's been a month and a half now for which I started swimming and walking in addition to eating healthy food, I lost 5 kilograms and my back is much better now.
I hope that I am on the right track of having good health .

sarahm991

Post by sarahm991 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Ever since I was a child, I have struggled with my weight and body image. My mother and sister both have a fast metabolism so they can eat whatever they want without gaining a pound. My mother therefore doesn't believe in exercise and has never encouraged me to try that as a way to regulate my weight. I would just eat tiny portions and lose weight but put it back on as soon as I start eating like a normal person. When I moved to college, I finally had the freedom to do whatever I wanted. That's when I signed up for various fitness classes and joined a gym. I've never felt healthier in my life, I enjoy working out and I have no problems maintaining my weight anymore. These days, I lift weights 3 times a week and do classes whenever I feel liked doing a little cardio. I also changed the way I eat: I'm now following a plant-based diet. I think this is why I rarely get sick anymore. I don't even get a cold when everyone is lying down with the flu. So I take exercise and healthy eating very seriously! But it's also important to treat yourself once in a while and not be too hard on yourself :)

aimee

Post by aimee » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:11 am

I don't exercise on the regular bases. I know it is very bad for me and I tend to motivate myself to get out walking or runing but it never worked. I dislike runing becasue I oftern get pain in my chest and that just not my cup of tea. I tried to do some yoga and I really like it. It does not require much of warming up cardio movement however with a busy family life and a shcool kid, yoga rarely was on the top of the list. I know I am over weight compare to my size and I often look myself in the mirror and thinking it would be nice if my tummy is flat, or if my angle wings are smaller, or if my legs are slimmer... well, I guess sitting here and day dreaming isn't gonna help me at all. The best thing to do is just get up and do it.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks for going first :D
Khin Sandy wrote:No. I am not doing exercise during a year although I have an idea to do exercise one hour for a day. Reasons might be so many. The first one is I am very tired to do exercise as like running or swimming after my working time. However I know that I am at good condition right now. I am under BMI limits and I am not obese. I think I eat right even I love to eat many spicy foods for my every meals. I eat not many as much as I want. I agree that doing exercise and eating right foods will go my life to be healthy. I love to do exercise but I have no time. That is my first and big reason for not doing exercise everyday.
I don't exercise but I wish I exercised for an hour a day. There are so many reasons. The first one is I am too tired to exercise like running or swimming after working. However I know that I am in good condition right now. I am under BMI limits and I am not obese. I think I eat right even though I love to eat many spicy foods for every meal. I don't eat as much as I want. I agree that doing exercise and eating the right foods will make me healthy. I love to do exercise but I have no time. That is my first and biggest reason for not doing exercise everyday.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:46 pm

Hello :D
gandaka wrote:Yes. It's been almost 3 years now since I started exercising. I was fat before and it really scares me. I didn't care about my appearance before. :D And one time I posted a photo of myself on FB, all the comments were not good. They were all shocked and didn't like what they see. LOL. And my mom starts to worry about my health. So I realized it is time for a change. First, my exercise was zumba, and then walking, and later on extreme yoga. But now that my husband and I are planning to have a baby, I changed my exercise a little to light yoga, as heavy/extreme exercise is not advisable. I changed my diet as well. I eat right/good food: veggies, fruits and plenty of water. But sometimes when I have cravings I indulge some of my fave food, like burgers, french fries, sweets, etc. but very seldom only. By the way, I got back the weight I had before when I first got here in the US. Thank you.

Yes. It's been almost 3 years now since I started exercising. I was fat before and it really scares me. I didn't care about my appearance before. :D And one time I posted a photo of myself on FB, all the comments were not good. They were all shocked and didn't like what they saw. LOL. And my mom started to worry about my health. So I realized it is time for a change. First, I started zumba, and then walking, and later on extreme yoga. But now that my husband and I are planning to have a baby, I have changed my exercise a little to light yoga, as heavy/extreme exercise is not advisable. I changed my diet as well. I eat right: veggies, fruits and plenty of water. But sometimes when I have cravings I indulge in some of my favorite food, like burgers, french fries, sweets, etc. but very seldom.

:arrow: By the way, I got back the weight I had before when I first got here in the US.

I'm not sure what this last sentence means exactly. "I got back to my weight from before I moved to the US" would be grammatically correct but I don't know if it would be good or bad (if you got heavier or lighter). Plus if you're getting heavier because you're pregnant, then that's good :D

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi :D
Nancy wrote:I believe that exercising is good for our health, but then when I think about the fees that I have to pay for the gym I change my mind as I can not afford it. I eat what I cook. I avoid eating fast food, although I crave it sometimes. Every day I walk from home to the work. Also I work at home, cleaning, cooking and playing with my daughter. I consider it daily exercise.
I believe that exercising is good for our health, but then when I think about the fees that I have to pay for the gym I change my mind as I can not afford it. I eat what I cook. I avoid eating fast food, although I crave it sometimes. Every day I walk from home to work. Also I work at home, cleaning, cooking and playing with my daughter. I consider it daily exercise.

I think walking on an empty stomach is good for burning fat. I walk my dogs a lot but I also do pushups and things at home. Gyms are too expensive :(

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:13 pm

Good to see you again :D
jai15 wrote:Hey,
Today about 1 in 3 children is affected by obesity. More than 35%of adults suffer with overweight and obesity. Before going to the further discussion about obesity, We have to get to know “what is obesity? ”It is simply defined as excess body fat. There are myriad reasons for a person to become over weight. There are genetic disorders, hormone imbalances, stress and so on. But I think the main two factors are less physical work and the current food habits.

One of the reasons for decreasing physical activities in our day to day life is our modern technology. It is true, technologies and inventions save our time and makes our life easier and better. But at the same time they lead us to turn into a sedentary life style. The most children and teenagers always prefer to play video games, spend time with smart phones and iPod instead of playing outdoor games. The another reason for obesity is our fast food culture. For example when my mom was a child, she did not know about packet food and frozen food .whatever she ate was homemade food which was prepared by her mam and fresh vegetables and fruits which grew up in the form with out pesticides. ‘But the current generations like packet food, fries, greasy food more than fresh vegetables and fruits. Eating fatty food and staying inside with video games are making our children to become over weight.

I neither criticize nor support weight lifting. Because I never try this exercise and I don’t know whether this exercise is suitable for women. Some physicians says that lifting heavy weights is not good for women. But It depends on one’s own interest. My suggestion is ‘something is always better than nothing. ‘Choose any kind of physical activities which is interested you like walking, swimming, dancing, doing yoga etc.. And allocate some time for practicing that activity every day.
Today about 1 in 3 children is affected by obesity. More than 35% of adults are overweight and suffer from obesity. Before going further into the discussion about obesity, We have to get to know “what is obesity? ”It is simply defined as excess body fat. There are myriad reasons for a person to become over weight. There are genetic disorders, hormone imbalances, stress and so on. But I think the main two factors are less physical work and current food habits.

One of the reasons for decreasing physical activities in our day to day life is modern technology. It is true, technologies and inventions save our time and makes our life easier and better. But at the same time they lead us to turn toward a sedentary life style. Most children and teenagers always prefer to play video games, or spend time with smart phones and iPods instead of playing outdoor games. Another reason for obesity is our fast food culture. For example when my mom was a child, she did not know about packet food :?: and frozen food .whatever she ate was homemade food which was prepared by her mam and fresh vegetables and fruits which grew on a farm without pesticides. ‘But the current generations like packet food, fries, greasy food more than fresh vegetables and fruits. Eating fatty food and staying inside with video games are making our children to become over weight.

I neither criticize nor support weight lifting. Because I have never tried this exercise and I don’t know whether this exercise is suitable for women. Some physicians says that lifting heavy weights is not good for women. But It depends on one’s own interest. My suggestion is ‘something is always better than nothing. ‘Choose any kind of physical activities which interests you like walking, swimming, dancing, doing yoga etc.. And allocate some time for practicing that activity every day.

As a mother or father, it is our responsibility to prevent our children from obesity. Play some outdoor games like Tennis or football with your children ,even though you don’t know those games very well. And spending time with children is one of the best physical activities for you getting in shape. Fill your fridge with vegetables and fruits instead of ready-made and packet foods. Though you are a 24/7 busy man or woman,Don’t forget to drink plenty of water. Peaceful mind, Healthy food, fit body make our life happy.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Diabetes runs in my family too. Scary.
Shakema wrote:Eating healthy and committing to an physical active lifestyle is difficult for me to commit to. I am aware of the benefits of eating healthy and exercising regularly. I do not eat the correct foods to maintain a healthy life. One of my bad habits is drinking soda which is high in sugar and calories. I look forward to drinking a soda with my dinner every night. If I continue drinking soda I may endure other health issues. Such as becoming over weight and possible diabetes. I am at risk of developing one of the two side effects if not both. Diabetes runs in my family and I know first hand how a person changes once they are diagnosed with diabetes. Once diagnosed with diabetes you are forced to change your eating habits. To avoid developing any of the conditions I have to start exercising and eating healthier.

Eating healthy and committing to a physically active active lifestyle is difficult for me. I am aware of the benefits of eating healthy and exercising regularly. I do not eat the correct foods to maintain a healthy life. One of my bad habits is drinking soda which is high in sugar and calories. I look forward to drinking a soda with my dinner every night. If I continue drinking soda I may endure other health issues. Such as becoming over weight and possibly diabetes. I am at risk of developing one of the two side effects if not both. Diabetes runs in my family and I know first hand how a person changes once they are diagnosed with diabetes. Once diagnosed with diabetes you are forced to change your eating habits. To avoid developing any of the conditions I have to start exercising and eating healthier.