Vocabulary learning principles

How do you (or how should you) study vocabulary?
James Trotta
Site Admin

Vocabulary learning principles

Post by James Trotta » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:01 am

These come from a presentation I saw, but the English teacher's name is not on the handout. I'll give due credit as soon as I figure out who deserves it.

someone wrote:1. Vocabulary is learned incrementally (multiple exposures)
2. Learning requires multiple contexts
3. Vocabulary processed more intensely will be learned better (the depth of processing notion, or learning involvement)
4. Vocabulary is learned through spaced exposures and not fewer massive exposures)
5. Learning requires recycling
6. Learning tasks need to be manageable
7. A supportive learning environment is needed
8. Metacognitive awareness enhances learning
9. Motivation enhances learning

Tamorr

Try a vocabulary trainer

Post by Tamorr » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:23 am

I could not agree more with the principles you mentioned. And I know a flashcard-based software, VTrain (Vocabulary Trainer), that helps complying with those requirements:

1., 4., and 5.: Vocabulary is learned incrementally (multiple exposures): VTrain is based on spaced repetition of Question & Answer flash cards. It includes an exclusive Scheduling Facility that reduces the time spent on repetitions to a minimum.

2. Learning requires multiple contexts: You can add contexts by way of the "remark" format in VTrain. You are tested solely on the word in question, the rest of the sentence is commented out as a "remark".

3. Vocabulary processed more intensely will be learned better (the depth of processing notion, or learning involvement): In VTrain, you can schedule minute-wise repetitions at first, or you can use a slideshow to browse through a small selection of cards.

6. Learning tasks need to be manageable: You can feed the "training cardfile" with a few flashcards (= word pairs) only.

7. and 9.: A supportive learning environment is needed: Multimedia-enhanced flashcards and a stress-free environment foster the student's autonomy and self-confidence.

8. Metacognitive awareness enhances learning: This is something you have to do for yourself :) Thinking about your goals and about how your mind works is up to you.

Best regards!

espindle

Re: Vocabulary learning principles

Post by espindle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:34 pm

My son uses a website LearnThatWord.org for studying vocabulary. He improved his spelling and vocabulary a lot, and I would like to recommend this program to everyone who wants to improve English vocabulary.

elevenoclock_jiminyoon

Post by elevenoclock_jiminyoon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:44 pm

I'd say, good o' fashioned writing by hand.
I rewrite my vocabulary over and over again so I can familiarize myself with how the word looks first..
As I write, I think of ways to connect it to my personal life.
I make up sentences with that word so that I would easily remember the definition.
It's also good to think of easier synonyms for that word..
and try to see why I would use the new word for a specific situation over the easier synonym.

blogmybrain

Post by blogmybrain » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:16 am

Vocabulary is a continues learning process. It is not a one fight. So if you want to improve your vocabulary you have to add some words into your database daily.

johnrambo

Post by johnrambo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:31 am

Hi Everybody,
I am very poor in English languages please help me.

word.game.lover

Post by word.game.lover » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:35 am

Hey Everyone!! I am having a hard in speaking English and constructing a sentence. Can you help me so I can learn more. I am having a hard time in looking for a job because of my poor English. I hope you guys can help my problem

boxcar

Post by boxcar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:23 am

Keep practicing. are there any particular questions you have maybe I could help answer?

danny debose

Post by danny debose » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 pm

I agree with your jugdement on this method and your honesty aswell .what great principles and learning english.

Word Genius

Post by Word Genius » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 am

Vocabulary has a lot to do with memorization. Everyday I learn a set of new words and just repeat the word and its meaning several times. It works if you keep practicing over and over again. Repetition is key when learning new words. I use Anagrammer.com site to learn new words and their definitions because there are Flashcards I have found that flashcards are great and really helpful in learning and memorizing new words.

englishforme001

Post by englishforme001 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 pm

hi im trying to learn engligh i have been in america for over 20 years but i have very lazy in learning

silvamani

Post by silvamani » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:22 am

it is true that if we want to learn new word there is required to use that word on regular basis other wise there is not use of noting down and just read. until unless we could not use that in our daily life will be erased from our memory

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:19 pm

If I remember correctly, Ronald Carter in his book Vocabulary wrote that 25 experiences with a word is about normal for learning it. You might start off reading the word a few times, then trying it out on these forums ;) and then getting error correction when you use it wrong (because using it wrong is normal - you learn when to use the word but also when NOT to use the word). And then you hear the word a few times. Then maybe you try to use the word when you're speaking...
silvamani wrote:it is true that if we want to learn a new word there we have to use that word on aregular basis. Otherwise there is no use noting it down. Unless we use that in our daily life, it will be erased from our memory.
Absolutely right. Learning a word can be a long process that involves using it multiple times.

mzjay1982

Post by mzjay1982 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is mzjay1982, I am trying to learn how to write and speak proper English.