Reading

How do you (or how should you) study vocabulary?
James Trotta
Site Admin

Reading

Post by James Trotta »

If you take a look at the vocabulary learning principles thread you should note well reading fits the ideal way to learn vocabulary:

1. Vocabulary is learned incrementally (multiple exposures)
2. Learning requires multiple contexts
3. Vocabulary processed more intensely will be learned better (the depth of processing notion, or learning involvement)
4. Vocabulary is learned through spaced exposures and not fewer massive exposures)

So reading stuff with new vocabulary in it is good for you, but how much new vocabulary? You should understand more than 90% of the words when you tackle a new reading - if you understand any less, you might have trouble getting the main idea of the story / article / whatever. Since vocabulary is learned in context, you must understand the reading to benefit from the exposure to new words.

So find something that's fun to read and that you can understand. Do a lot of reading this way and you're vocabulary will increase (gradually).

johnrambo

Re: Reading

Post by johnrambo »

Really good information thanks for sharing.

entrepreneurweek

Post by entrepreneurweek »

Reading is always a good step for increasing vocabulary.

Jariz

Post by Jariz »

I totally agree reading is the best way to learn a foreign language. The main reason is because it's not boring, unlike many other methods. And when I'm not bored I learn more efficiently.

karinag01

Post by karinag01 »

I usually read a lot and I think I understand almost everything but my pronunciation and when i am in the movie theather they speak so fast.

Tekle

Post by Tekle »

Reading is one of the most important thing to acquire knowledge about anything.
In order to practice how to read, one should read different types of books, newspaper, magazines etc.
It helps to improve your writing skills and personal communication with people.
It also builds confidence about the current situation. Personally, i used to hate reading newspaper,
but these days i have started reading some. This made a difference in my knowledge of English vocabulary..

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

Reading and listening are different skills, so being an excellent reader doesn't always mean you're listening comprehension will be great. To improve listening comprehension, you need to practice listening.
karinag01 wrote:I usually read a lot and I think I understand almost everything but my pronunciation and when i am in the movie theather they speak so fast.

unsaamir

Post by unsaamir »

i am interested in english and i want to speak like a native person. i wish you help me and my determind will come true.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

An admirable goal, but depending on your age, you need to set realistic short term goals. It's possible for an adult to study a second language for a lifetime and never achieve native-like accuracy. On the other hand, sometimes it happens. So while we work toward perfection, it's important that we don't get discouraged.
unsaamir wrote:i am interested in english and i want to speak like a native person. i wish you help me and my determind will come true.