How to use a vocabulary list

How do you (or how should you) study vocabulary?
James Trotta
Site Admin

How to use a vocabulary list

Post by James Trotta » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Just got this question from a member of our forum and I thought maybe some other people would be interested.
I have created my own list of vocabulary. In fact its almost like 5000 words now spread over 100 pages. Usually its a daily job and keep adding words - at least 7 to 8 - everyday. But the struggle has been to keep those in my mind and using them as often as I can. Can you suggest what I can do in this regard for really want to master the vocab that I have created. Any tips in this regard would be very very useful - perhaps a website where I can link my created list to images or whatever that you think be possible in this case.
Here is my answer:
That's a tough one because it's not how I would suggest learning vocab. I have done flash cards so I can study a few words when I'm on the subway or something but mostly you'll learn vocab in context while using language to communicate. Listening, reading, writing, speaking - they all beat making lists. If you could take the words on your list and use them in real life, then you'd be on the right track.