greenhouse effect

chemistry, geology, etc.

greenhouse effect

Postby won719 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:32 pm

Meteorogists cannot yet be certain, but the hotter summers and decreased rainfall of the eighties may be early indications of the greenhouse effect.
from Making Peace

The summers getting hotter and the reduced rainfall is an indication of the greenhouse effect.

The greenhouse effect is a warming of the Earth's surface, because of the hot climate and getting very little rain.
won719

Re: greenhouse effect

Postby DavidB » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:54 am

won719 wrote:
Meteorogists cannot yet be certain, but the hotter summers and decreased rainfall of the eighties may be early indications of the greenhouse effect.
from Making Peace

The summers getting hotter and the reduced rainfall is an indication of the greenhouse effect.

The greenhouse effect is a warming of the Earth's surface, because of the hot climate and getting very little rain.

I don't understand. Are you writing statements that refer to the quote and asking for feedback? If so, here are my comments...

"The summers getting hotter and the reduced rainfall is an indication of the greenhouse effect."

Nice try, but this is better:

Hotter summers and reduced rainfall are an indication of the greenhouse effect. (We're talking about TWO things - hotter summers and reduced rainfall - so you need to use "are" instead of "is."

"The greenhouse effect is a warming of the Earth's surface, because of the hot climate and getting very little rain."

Very good. It's kind of hard to critique this one because it represents a mixture of English and science. I think I'd replace "because of" with "caused by"...

The greenhouse effect is a warming of the Earth's surface, caused by the hot climate and getting very little rain.

Notice that "warming of the Earth's surface" and "hot climate" are very similar. Rather than saying "the hot climate" causes the greenhouse effect, it would be more accurate to say that a WARMER climate is a SYMPTOM of the greenhouse effect.

So we might change this sentence to something like this:

The greenhouse effect is a warming of the Earth's surface caused mostly by air pollution. Its symptoms include diminished rain. (or decreasing rain)
DavidB

Postby won719 » Tue May 03, 2005 10:09 am

The greenhouse effect is a natural process. Sunlight passes through the atmosphere, warming the Earth’s surface. In turn, the land and oceans release heat, or infrared radiation, into the atmosphere, balancing the incoming energy. Water vapour, carbon dioxide and some other naturally occurring gases can absorb part of this radiation, allowing it to warm the lower atmosphere.

This absorption of heat, which keeps the surface of our planet warm enough to sustain us, is called the greenhouse effect.
won719

Postby DavidB » Tue May 03, 2005 10:40 am

won719 wrote:The greenhouse effect is a natural process. Sunlight passes through the atmosphere, warming the Earth’s surface. In turn, the land and oceans release heat, or infrared radiation, into the atmosphere, balancing the incoming energy. Water vapour, carbon dioxide and some other naturally occurring gases can absorb part of this radiation, allowing it to warm the lower atmosphere.

This absorption of heat, which keeps the surface of our planet warm enough to sustain us, is called the greenhouse effect.

By the way, do you know what a greenhouse is? It's a building used to grow plants. I think they're usually translucent, allowing the sun's rays to pass through and warm things up. But the building is closed, preventing the heat from escaping.

In a sense, pollution turns Earth into a giant greenhouse, allowing the sun's rays to pass through but stopping heat from escaping.
DavidB

Postby antonhoton » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 am

Greenhouse effect is really a big issue for all of us. And people should have to aware from this. Because ultimately it is about life on earth. Here I would like to put an open request for every one who read this that they can help in this matter by using paper bags and avoid plastic bags.
antonhoton

Postby James Trotta » Sun May 08, 2011 9:30 am

Don't paper bags require us to chop down trees though? Now environmentalists seem to be recommending reusable (often canvas) bags so we never have to throw out paper or plastic bags.
antonhoton wrote:Greenhouse effect is really a big issue for all of us. And people should have to aware from this. Because ultimately it is about life on earth. Here I would like to put an open request for every one who read this that they can help in this matter by using paper bags and avoid plastic bags.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Postby danny debose » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:32 pm

The greenhouse effect is also a sign of the end of the world.
danny debose

Postby Albion » Sat May 18, 2013 9:18 am

They have lack of safety regulation,
They results depression and stress, They are expensive....
Albion

Return to Science vocabulary