Discuss workplace equality challenges and initiatives

English vocabulary used to talk about economics and business.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Discuss workplace equality challenges and initiatives

Post by James Trotta » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:30 am

What has been done to improve equality in the workplace? What is being done now? What needs to be done in the future?

jai15

Re: Discuss workplace equality challenges and initiatives

Post by jai15 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Hey James,
In India, many leaders and social workers have endeavored persistently to bring the equality between men and women, not only in the workplace but also in all other places like schools, colleges, and temples, though their efforts have not yet been attained their goal whole heartedly. Even though current days, women come out from their nest and occupy the great positions like Politicians, fire fighters, truck drivers, army officers and some other jobs which have been considered only suitable for men, on the other hand still their opportunities are deterred because of their gender. For example, Mrs. Pooja was my team leader when I was working in the IT company. She had more than 6 years of experience and good knowledge about our project. We all expected her to become a manager in that year. But unfortunately Mr. Keen who was one of our team member and had less experience and knowledge than Mrs. Pooja, was promoted to be our manager. We were baffled when we got to know Pooja was not promoted even though she had all the qualities to possess that position. I was very shocked when I heard the reason for refusing Pooja. The reason was “Pooja is a woman, especially she is a married woman and have children.” Yes, The HR team thought that the Manager role should have had lot Challenges for women. And spending a lot of time in travelling, extended night duties, and The pressure to achieve the task with in the time period must not have not suited for a married woman who have children like Pooja. They had not yet discussed about this points to her. They made a decision their selves. In this example what was her mistake except born as a woman to lose her opportunity. Although many laws have been passed to help for women in workforce, still the discrimination against women is shown in many workplaces.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks for working on this tough assignment :D
jai15 wrote:Hey James,
In India, many leaders and social workers have endeavored persistently to bring the equality between men and women, not only in the workplace but also in all other places like schools, colleges, and temples, though their efforts have not yet been attained their goal whole heartedly. Even though current days, women come out from their nest and occupy the great positions like Politicians, fire fighters, truck drivers, army officers and some other jobs which have been considered only suitable for men, on the other hand still their opportunities are deterred because of their gender. For example, Mrs. Pooja was my team leader when I was working in the IT company. She had more than 6 years of experience and good knowledge about our project. We all expected her to become a manager in that year. But unfortunately Mr. Keen who was one of our team member and had less experience and knowledge than Mrs. Pooja, was promoted to be our manager. We were baffled when we got to know Pooja was not promoted even though she had all the qualities to possess that position. I was very shocked when I heard the reason for refusing Pooja. The reason was “Pooja is a woman, especially she is a married woman and have children.” Yes, The HR team thought that the Manager role should have had lot Challenges for women. And spending a lot of time in travelling, extended night duties, and The pressure to achieve the task with in the time period must not have not suited for a married woman who have children like Pooja. They had not yet discussed about this points to her. They made a decision their selves. In this example what was her mistake except born as a woman to lose her opportunity. Although many laws have been passed to help for women in workforce, still the discrimination against women is shown in many workplaces.
In India, many leaders and social workers have endeavored persistently for equality between men and women, not only in the workplace but also in all other places like schools, colleges, and temples. Though their efforts have not yet been attained, they work toward their goal whole heartedly. On the one hand, women have started to occupy great positions like Politicians, fire fighters, truck drivers, army officers and some other jobs which have been considered only suitable for men. On the other hand, their opportunities are still limited because of their gender. For example, Mrs. Pooja was my team leader when I was working in the IT company. She had more than 6 years of experience and good knowledge about our project. We all expected her to become a manager that year. But unfortunately Mr. Keen who was one of our team members and had less experience and knowledge than Mrs. Pooja, was promoted to be our manager. We were baffled when we got to know Pooja was not promoted even though she had all the qualities to possess that position. I was very shocked when I heard the reason for refusing Pooja. The reason was “Pooja is a woman, especially she is a married woman and has children.” Yes, The HR team thought that the Manager role would have had lot Challenges for women. And spending a lot of time travelling, extended night duties, and The pressure of deadlines must not have been suitable for a married woman who has children like Pooja. They had not yet discussed this with her. They made the decision themselves. In this example what was her mistake except being born a woman? Although many laws have been passed to help women in workforce, still the discrimination against women is shown in many workplaces

Though their efforts have not yet been attained :arrow: Nice present perfect passive

I can't believe they admitted they were passing on Mrs. Pooja because she was a woman with kids. In America that would be an easy lawsuit.

Nousheen

Post by Nousheen » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:52 am

I like this topic because I really believe in equality .I think in all field including study ,different jobs any work women can do however the men can do so if you have passion to do any work you can do other wise you can't face any challenges because the life is a name of facing challenges and you have to face it with passion and take initiative then you can successfully handle every problems and handle the any situations .I am belong to the Muslim country
where the parents are very very conscious about there daughters because the religious point of view some families still not give permission further studies and any job .But now the time change peoples knew the importance of study and they understand no difference between daughter and a son both are equal and both need equal education .And they both do any job.

Tibaijuka

Post by Tibaijuka » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Dear James,

In my country, not much has been done to improve workplace equality although we have equality laws. Women continue to be discriminated against based on cultural stereotypes. They are considered unproductive, but those in employment earn the same amount as their male counterparts in similar positions. Some employers believe that employing many women can be disruptive, especially when they go on maternity leave at the same time. There are few women heading organisations here.

One area in which significant effort has been successfully expended on gender equality is politics. Through affirmative action, the number of women occupying elective political positions has gone up. Currently, women account for forty percent of all the cabinet positions, which was unthinkable two decades ago.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:39 am

40% sounds almost equitable.
Tibaijuka wrote:Dear James,

In my country, not much has been done :D to improve workplace equality although we have equality laws. Women continue to be discriminated against :D based on cultural stereotypes. They are considered :D unproductive, but those in employment earn the same amount as their male counterparts in similar positions. Some employers believe that employing many women can be disruptive, especially when they go on maternity leave at the same time. There are few women heading organisations here.

One area in which significant effort has been successfully expended on gender equality is politics. Through affirmative action, the number of women occupying elective political positions has gone up. Currently, women account for forty percent of all the cabinet positions, which was unthinkable two decades ago.
In my country, not much has been done to improve workplace equality although we have equality laws. Women continue to be discriminated against based on cultural stereotypes. They are considered unproductive, but those in employment earn the same amount as their male counterparts in similar positions. Some employers believe that employing many women can be disruptive, especially when they go on maternity leave at the same time. There are few women heading organisations here.

One area in which significant progress has been made is politics. Through affirmative action, the number of women occupying elective political positions has gone up. Currently, women account for forty percent of all the cabinet positions, which was unthinkable two decades ago

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:45 am

I like equality too :D
Nousheen wrote:I like this topic because I really believe in equality .I think in all field including study ,different jobs any work women can do however the men can do so if you have passion to do any work you can do other wise you can't face any challenges because the life is a name of facing challenges and you have to face it with passion and take initiative then you can successfully handle every problems and handle the any situations .I am belong to the Muslim country
where the parents are very very conscious about there daughters because the religious point of view some families still not give permission further studies and any job .But now the time change peoples knew the importance of study and they understand no difference between daughter and a son both are equal and both need equal education .And they both do any job.
I like this topic because I really believe in equality. I think in all fields including academics and all kinds of jobs women can do whatever the men can do. So if you have passion to do any work you can do it. Otherwise you can't face any challenges because life is a game :?: of facing challenges and you have to face them with passion and take initiative. Then you can successfully handle every problem and handle the any situation .I live in a Muslim country where the parents are very very conscious about their daughters because of the religious point of view. Some families still do not give permission for further studies and any job .But now the times are changing. People know the importance of studying and they understand there is no difference between a daughter and a son. Both are equal and both need equal education .And they both can do any job

Shakema

Post by Shakema » Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 pm

I have been employed with the same company for 10 plus years and the equality between men and women is close to being equal. I held a few positions within the agency and one of the positions at the time was considered a predominantly male position. The title is referred to has Heating Plant Technician, primarily a boiler repair person. Repairing boilers meant I had to learn the mechanic of how a biker operated along with learning minor plumbing repairs. My first day on the job I realized I was the only female assigned to this particular area. I became concerned that I would be treated unfairly but to my surprise the men embraced me. They gave me all the tools I needed to survive my probation and to become one of the best female technicians within the agency. I was unfamiliar with the equipment and the process to preform my duties effectively. My only option was to read each manual and ask hundreds of questions. The group of men who became my co-workers had no problem answering the same questions over and over because they admired my enthusiasm. I even managed to advance my skills to and became an advance heat plant tech. Which meant the same responsibilities for more money.

Currently today there are over 100 female Heating Plant Technicians working. Who have maintained their position and even became instructors. They are writing some of the new procedures since the inception of new equipment that was installed. They are not viewed as men and women instead they are respected and admired for their accomplishments in making a difference in people lives.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Tue May 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Close to equal is pretty good :D
Shakema wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 pm
I have been employed with the same company for 10 plus years and the equality between men and women is close to being equal. I held a few positions within the agency and one of the positions at the time was considered a predominantly male position. The title is referred to has Heating Plant Technician, primarily a boiler repair person. Repairing boilers meant I had to learn the mechanic of how a biker operated along with learning minor plumbing repairs. My first day on the job I realized I was the only female assigned to this particular area. I became concerned that I would be treated unfairly but to my surprise the men embraced me. They gave me all the tools I needed to survive my probation and to become one of the best female technicians within the agency. I was unfamiliar with the equipment and the process to preform my duties effectively. My only option was to read each manual and ask hundreds of questions. The group of men who became my co-workers had no problem answering the same questions over and over because they admired my enthusiasm. I even managed to advance my skills to and became an advance heat plant tech. Which meant the same responsibilities for more money.

Currently today there are over 100 female Heating Plant Technicians working. Who have maintained their position and even became instructors. They are writing some of the new procedures since the inception of new equipment that was installed. They are not viewed as men and women instead they are respected and admired for their accomplishments in making a difference in people lives.
I have been employed with the same company for 10 plus years and the equality between men and women is close to being equal. I held a few positions within the agency and one of the positions at the time was considered a predominantly male position. The title was Heating Plant Technician, primarily a boiler repair person. Repairing boilers meant I had to learn the mechanics of how a boiler :?: operated along with learning minor plumbing repairs. My first day on the job I realized I was the only female assigned to this particular area. I became concerned that I would be treated unfairly but to my surprise the men embraced me. They gave me all the tools I needed to survive my probation and to become one of the best female technicians within the agency. I was unfamiliar with the equipment and the process to perform my duties effectively. My only option was to read each manual and ask hundreds of questions. The group of men who became my co-workers had no problem answering the same questions over and over because they admired my enthusiasm. I even managed to advance my skills to and became an advanced heat plant tech. Which meant the same responsibilities for more money. :D

Currently today there are over 100 female Heating Plant Technicians working. They have maintained their position and even became instructors. They are writing some of the new procedures since the inception of new equipment that was installed. They are not viewed as men and women instead they are respected and admired for their accomplishments in making a difference in people lives.

Shakema

Post by Shakema » Wed May 31, 2017 1:32 am

Thank you for reviewing my writing.