what are the difference between scare up,scrape together ...

Discuss idioms and slang from different English speaking countries.
english-learner

what are the difference between scare up,scrape together ...

Post by english-learner » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:44 am

Hello,

Could you help me understand these three phrases: scare up,scrape together and scrape up?

What are the difference and common between three of them?

Thanks a lot!
english-leaner

DavidB

Re: what are the difference between scare up,scrape together

Post by DavidB » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:02 am

english-learner wrote:Hello,

Could you help me understand these three phrases: scare up,scrape together and scrape up?

What are the difference and common between three of them?

Thanks a lot!
english-leaner
1) They can all mean about the same thing - to find something. For example, imagine a person living in the outdoors. He's hungry, and he wants some food, so he says, "I think I'll go out and try and scare up some fish." Or "I'm going to try and scare up some blueberries."

2) I think I would generally use "scrape up" about the same way. However, I might be more likely to use it when referring to something I already have - like money. You don't need to scare up money if it's already in your pocket. But you don't know if you have enough money to buy something. So you reach in your pocket and say, "I hope I can scrape up enough money to buy some milk."

3) Scrape together would probably be an even better example of referring to something you have when you aren't sure if you have enough of it. You could look around your house, trying to scrape together enough money to buy something. Or you could try to scrape together enough bluberries to eat witih your meal.