Discuss idioms and slang from different English speaking countries.
- Site Admin
- Posts: 1140
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
- Location: South Korea
Every once in a while I see someone trying to thumb a ride but I never stop to pick them up. I would have back when I was in college but these days my sense of adventure is gone.
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:55 pm
I have seen people thumb a ride in movies but I never saw a person thumb a ride in real life.
- Posts: 43
- Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:23 pm
The road is notorious because there are always some hitchhikers waiting for a chance to thumb a ride.
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:08 am
I think it is too risky to thumb a ride. You never know who you'll meet.
lee geo wool
- Posts: 50
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:29 am
In big cities, hardly any people thumb a ride because they can always take buses, taxis, or subways.
Han Dong Geol
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:58 am
I tried to thumb a ride once. But no one was stopping for me. So i had to walk almost 5 miles to get home.
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm
I never saw someone thumbing a ride in Korea. I just saw it only in foreign films.
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm
I heard to thumb a ride for a single woman is too dangerous. So, I sometimes wish that I was a guy to enjoy my journey alone.
- Posts: 52
- Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:04 am
Thumbing a ride is unusual in Korea, and is considered as dangerous to Koreans. Kang ho soon used his car for hitch hiking women to kill them.
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 pm
There were so many people who want to hitchhike to get a chance to thumb a ride that the road was very crowded.
Jae Eun Lee
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:45 am
I've never tried to thumb a ride in Korea, because it hardly works.
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:49 pm
In Korea it is not normal to see a person thumbing rides because we think it’s dangerous to get rides from a stranger.
Ye Suel Jung
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 am
I've never hitchhiked before, and I won't in the future.
Many criminals commit a crime by hitchhiking and maybe that's the reason why people are reluctant to tumb a ride.
I think that it is very dangerous to be in a locked place with strangers.
Shin Ye Sung
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:17 pm
One of the lists that I want to do is thumbing a ride.
- Posts: 52
- Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:44 pm
I haven't had any experience to thumb a ride.