The Next Miracle: reading for Professor McLallen's classes

Share your thoughts on various discussion topics. Think of this as a conversation class where you can talk freely and practice your English fluency.

Re: The Next Miracle: reading for Professor McLallen's class

Postby Elevenoclock_JoonhoKim » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Korea is still in the transition period. Since Korea has achieved so many things in short period, it is inevitable that these kinds of problems occur.
As it's written in the article, it was not untill 1990s that the text book says mother goes to workplace. Korea is changing now. When the children who are learning from younger generation parents and new textbook come out to society, these problems will resolve themselves. It doesn't mean that we just should watch without doing anything. We are already doing what we need to do. We are on the right direction. But just it can't be change in one day.
Elevenoclock_JoonhoKim

Postby elevenoclock_woosungkim » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Sexual discrimination at work places and many other job related places
But my opinion is that the main problem is that this problem has always been an issue and issue only.
There aren't really any social or governmental movement that does anything to try and change it.
elevenoclock_woosungkim

Just thinking

Postby elevenoclock_Hwang Hee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm

I think there are 3 major problems in South Korea

1. The fact that South Korea has the lowest birth rates in the world
2. The fact that South Korean students are the most depressed and act individually. (According to a recent survey)
3. The fact that so much money is needed for child education.

And I think these 3 problems are related.

First, Korean universities accept students 100% according to grades. Extracurricular activities, sociality and teamwork do not matter at all.
This inducts the increase of private tutoring and institutes. So it takes a significant amount of money to educate children.
I believe this is one factor of low birth rates. Anyways, students get tired and stressed out for studying all day long at school and institutes.
They learn that grades is what really matters for their future, so a sense of individuality forms. What about the parents?
Parents would probably be at work or at home waiting for their children to come back from private institutes.

Lets compare this to the United States.
Universities prefer students who are not only smart but also athletic and social. Students who have actively participated in extra curricular activities.
In fact, doing extra curricular activities(American football, soccer, swimming, cheer leading etc.) is a privilege because you cannot do any unless you have decent grades. Students study, exercise, become social and learn teamwork. Parents? Parents have fun watching the games of the school league, cheering for their children.

Of course, there are exceptions.
But to me their seems to be a tendeny of..

Koreans LIVING FOR their lives
Americans ENJOYING their lives

Whatever the reason is; although I may be wrong, we can see that SOMETHING is wrong here and SOMETHING is different there.
I would be glad to receive any different or opposing opinions :)
elevenoclock_Hwang Hee

Gisaeng and prostitution

Postby elevenoclock_kyungAOh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:52 am

I think that Korean male-dominated culture goes back to the culture of the Gisaeng, Korean geisha and concubine. Most noblemen in Chosun dynasty, which is called Yangban, often went to Gisaeng house to entertain people who were in higher position. I think this is similar to the “room” culture today. Also, they had several concubines who they can dominate over.

As for the prostitution, I think it shows the worst example of male-dominated culture. Men can buy a woman for sex. They can ask everything as they pay for it. I am not sure whether this woman has a right as a human being or not. A few months ago, well-known talent committed suicide because she was in extreme grief of her situation because she was often compelled to sleep with producers. This might be an extreme example of male dominance in our society.
elevenoclock_kyungAOh

Postby Woo youl lee/mac morning » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:18 am

There is no doubt that koree have drawn steep development curve during last decades, but it is not hard to find pessimistic views about its continuing. Some guys blame korean gorvernment and cooperations. Expanding even further some analyst say that korean economy is on a crisis. However I really cannot agree to these negative ideas. Actually economic problem which we've got is not only ours. All of the world has same. In my experience, I've been san diego last ten monthes, One of the richest states in The USA even has a depression, their gorven already went bankrupt. It's very natural thing , every economy has the highest point and the lowest point, because it moves on a cycle (Of course you should not go bankrupt though.) We, korean , already got a great present from our parent's generation. It is not a miracle, it a thing they acheived, with their desperate effort. We have to thank about it and get rid of negative opinions. It really dosen't help anything. The only thing we must do is that do our best in our areas, then we can get over this crisis, and we can make something our next generation will tell a miracle.
Woo youl lee/mac morning

Previous

Return to Conversation class