Does a medicine work on the common cold?

Share your thoughts on various discussion topics. Think of this as a conversation class where you can talk freely and practice your English fluency.

Does a medicine work on the common cold?

Post by (102)김은정 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:33 am

Hi~ we discussed the common cold in class after we read the script 'Ah-Choo!'. And I want to discuss a medicine for the common cold online.

In the words of the old saying, when we have a cold, if we take a medicine the cold lasts a week and if we don't take a medicine the cold lasts 7 days. It means the medicine doesn't work on the common cold. And I agree with the saying. When i had a cold, even though i took the medicine, the cold just didn't let up. I hardly feel the virtue of the medicine. When i have a fever, i just take a fever reducer. How about you ? Can you feel the virtue of the medicine for the common cold ?

I saw the news that Korea has the highest overuse of antibiotics in OECD contries. Korean doctors put the common cold patients on antibiotics. But pharmacists say that actually the common cold patients without a secondary infection don't need antibiotics. So the hospitals in Korea are trying to reduce the use of antibiotics but the use of antibiotics is still excessive. The big problem is that the overuse of antibiotics kills the germs which are necessary for our body so this causes disease. I hope you take this information when you catch a cold :)

(106) Sanggyun Kim

Re: Does a medicine work on the common cold?

Post by (106) Sanggyun Kim » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi, I also heard that some kinds of medicines such as antibiotic are not good for our body. So I try not to take a medecine when I have a cold.
But I think cold medicines work in some ways. When I take them, I feel they reduce some symtoms such as runny nose, fever, cough, and sore throat. So, I thke them when I have to do something; exam, study, or appointment. And sometimes I take them before going to bed because it makes me sleepy.
So I think it is okay if we don't overdose on them.

(106)Seokjin Hong

Post by (106)Seokjin Hong » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:57 pm

When I catch a cold, I try to stop myself as much as possible from taking drugs or antibiotics.
The pills don't seem to have any effect anyway.

And if I keep taking in pills that don't really help me,
then it's the same thing as wasting your money on increasing unnecessary drug tolerance.

Home remedies seem more better, such as drinking hot beverages or taking a nap.

I think colds usually have something to do with stress, or how you feel at the moment.

(102)Cho Yoon Jeong

Post by (102)Cho Yoon Jeong » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:23 pm

I've heard that having too many pills can trigger tolerance in our body, and thus cannot use them later on when we have heavy cold. So, I usually don't take pills as long as I feel serious pain. What I do when I catch a daily cold is drinking a cup of juice and then getting some sleep. Vitamin C in juice helps body cure cold more easily. And taking a nap makes my condition better. After a nap with a cup of juice in my stomach, I feel a lot better without any pills.

(104)July Ban

Post by (104)July Ban » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:32 am

"Too much is as bad as too little." as the saying goes. However, in my humble opinion, this not appropriately refers to the antibiotics for common cold. Last winter, I caught a cold and I thought it was a minor. Nevertheless, I went to the department of internal medicine since I should not be sicker until my university entrance exam is completely over. The doctor prescribed the antibiotics to me. Even though I thought it was a little too much, I took it as I was ordered but I soon realized that it was a total mistake. Much serious symptoms started to torment me. Symptoms included diarrhoea and vomiting. In sum, I am strongly opposed to using antibiotics when you ever catch a simple cold.

(104)Kim Ji-hyun

Post by (104)Kim Ji-hyun » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:45 pm

I also heard that Koreans are taking in antibiotics excessively, and those pills doesn't help us overcome a cold.
Rather that getting well, you may feel worse or not better.
I suupose, the cause of this fruitless usage is that we catch a cold once or twice a year.
Because of the lapse of time, we get to forget the result of those pills and repeat what we did a year before.
Therefore, I think we need to keep it in mind consciously that common cold pills are not that effective and taking a rest
would help you more.

(102)kyungwon Min

Post by (102)kyungwon Min » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm

I agree the opinion of post. Really, Koreans are addicted in the medicine. If they have a little fever, headache etc, people always go to hospital and take medicine. In fact, when people catch a cold, take enough rest and sleep much are most effective cure. But, Koreans just take the medicine, and after taking the medicine, they think they won the cold and do not rest enough. Medicine is just a thing that remove the pain of cold. It can not cure the cold in reality. If people don't rest and just take medicine, their cold cannot cure fast. So, for their own health and body, Koreans should not take every medicine when they have a cold or ill in their body. Medicine does not work on the common cold.

Post by (103)LimChan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm

I heard the medicine for cold is mostly for the symptoms, not the virus itself. Even the best solution of the passage we discussed in the class was methods ot make us 'feel better' not to 'cure.' I heard in a news this is why in some countries doctors don't subscribe anything for the cold. Perhaps it is right to say there is no medicine itself for the cold than virtue of the cold. I always wondered why some doctors gave me whole lot of medicine while the others gave me little, but I found out they were all just pills to make me feel better, and they did little to fix me back to the right state. I wonder when our technology would finally be able to treat the virus itself.

(102)Kim su yeon

Post by (102)Kim su yeon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you for the information.
I think medicine works on the common cold,anyway.
But self-management is more important,I think.
When I went to a hospital second time because I thought the medicine didn't work in another hospital,
the doctor said, "If you don't manage your condition, the medicine will not work."
So I think it is good to use medicine and manage one's condition when someone catch a cold.

Jho MunYoung

Post by Jho MunYoung » Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Well, in my opinion, medicines work only when a person has really bad cold and very ill. Even those cases, the medicince just 'supports' the person's healing. I think, more then the medicine, sleeping a lot and taking a rest are most important for curing cold. What I'm saying is that if you only take medicines and do not rest, keep working or studying like you did normally, you might never get better and even get worse. The medicines do work of course, but when it comes to cold, I'd prefer some home remedies.

(102)Min je Jung

Post by (102)Min je Jung » Sat May 18, 2013 1:03 pm

I loved your idea; however, I just want to be clear. Is the cold a normal respond from our body? I think there are few people to say "yes". The clod might be the minor issue or nothing important to care for. Nonetheless, despite the seriousness of its nature, it is definitely a warning sign! So we should take some pills for the precaution. I mean some pills. Overdosing is the one which we should be aware of, but appropriate use of medicine should be recommended.

(104)Hyejin Ji

Post by (104)Hyejin Ji » Thu May 30, 2013 5:21 am

I think, instead of taking a pill, the best way to cure common cold is a taking a shower frequently. Through the radio clip, an expertise said like me: do not touch face and wash own hands. These methods take a lot of germs and viruses away from human bodies. In the contrast, another way 'medicine' is not effective despite of population.

(104) Jisung Park

Post by (104) Jisung Park » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:35 am

I think it can be dangerous to think that taking lots of pills is the only way to cure cold. Because this kind of thinking is proved that it does not works that effectively than patients expect. So it is important to prevent cold and some ways are well known. Some way of them are washing hands frequently and not touching face in hands cause lots of germs that cause cold are in human hands. And best ways that cold patient can do is just taking a rest and getting enough sleep. Although those things would not rid cold virus directly, will make speed of curing cold faster.

(106)Jeon Hyeonjeong

Post by (106)Jeon Hyeonjeong » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:56 am

First, thanks for sharing information about overusing the antibiotics. That was new. In my case, I also can't feel the difference in lasting period of the common cold whether I take the medicine or not. However the virtue of medicine is in how you can spend those hard days. I really hate the feelings like dizziness, headache, fever, and muscle pain. I don't think medicine can't shorten the period but at least it can help us to go around in much more better conditions. It can relieve pains. But because of the antibiotics, I think I should find another way of getting medicine without antibiotics.

Post by (101)SungMinAhn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:59 pm

I think a medicine`s effect depends on our mind. When we take medicine if we believe that cold lets up, our body feel well. However when we take medicine if we don`t believe that cold doesn`t let up, our body doesn`t feel well. Placebo effect. We say this effect Placebo effect. In addition to Placebo effect, Rest is very important. Even though we take a medicine if we can`t take a rest, Cold doesn`t let up. In sum except taking a medicine, the other factor should be considered.