When do men and women cry in your country?

Discuss sexism, changing gender roles, feminism, etc.

When do men and women cry in your country?

Postby James Trotta » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:56 am

Are there different times when it's OK for one gender to cry but not for the other?
James Trotta
Site Admin

Re: When do men and women cry in your country?

Postby tam » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:19 am

when they get married on that time thay will crying for ten minutes
tam

Postby James Trotta » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:58 am

For both men and women? I think it's changing in Korea but traditionally men and women had to look quite serious during their wedding ceremony. No smiling or crying. That's changing though. In America, I think you have to smile - if you look serious people might think you're unhappy or upset about getting married or something. Crying is OK in America but more OK for the bride than for the groom.
tam wrote:when they get married on that time thay will crying for ten minutes

Where are you from again Tam?
James Trotta
Site Admin

Postby boxcar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:53 pm

I think it all depends on the situation either person is in, who is around them, and why they are crying.
boxcar

Postby smile jun-yeong yeo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:30 pm

In korea, there is a word that man should cry only three times in his life: when he is born, when his parents die and when he loses his country. Of course, this word is a big gap in its logic. But older adults actually teaches a little young boy. Then, how will this be possible?
smile jun-yeong yeo

Postby Happy Chan il » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:06 am

I think in Korea, men are supposed not to cry in almost every cases. if one men who are already adult cries, people around him would consider it little strange and even shamful.
I believe it came from traditional Korean society. Korea is a patriarchal society originally even though it has changed a lot. In this society, of course men should be strong both physically and mentally. this characteristic of our culture makes it difficult for men to cry.
Happy Chan il

Postby Mcmorning/nagyeongahn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:33 am

I don't think that there are certain situations when men or women are "allowed" to cry.
Anyone can cry when they feel the sadness. I think that no one should be ashamed of crying or repressing their tears because it is not allowed.
Feeling of sadness is something that toatally depends on individuals.
Mcmorning/nagyeongahn

Postby smile HYEWON KIM » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:53 pm

As for me, when a man and a woman is watching movies or TV shows together, if a guy cries for sad scenes, it is really not okay!
Since I am not used to observe a 'Korean' guy crying, I would get perplexed and not know how to react. And I think some Korean guys don't want their girlfriend to talk about their tears even if they know their girlfriends saw it. Also, there are some Korean girls who don't expect guys to show their weakness by crying which makes guys look feminine.(:D)
smile HYEWON KIM

Postby archie ward » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 pm

i think when got hurt by something or by somebody hurts their feelings to much . I came Philippines, i don't think you guys do the same. :lol:
archie ward

Postby James Trotta » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:53 am

Do you mean that men cry when they get their feelings hurt? And what is too much?
archie ward wrote:i think when got hurt by something or by somebody hurts their feelings to much . I came Philippines, i don't think you guys do the same. :lol:
James Trotta
Site Admin

Postby Teresa gea » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:32 pm

In my country Spain, although both genders have the right of doing if the situation required it, it is generally accepted that women do it more frequently and easily. It is a bit strange to see a male grown-up showing publically their emotions by using tears.
Teresa gea

Postby pinay_ako » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:34 am

archie ward wrote:i think when got hurt by something or by somebody hurts their feelings to much . I came Philippines, i don't think you guys do the same. :lol:

well, in my country, the Philippines, women are still viewed as the weaker sex and they cry for a variety of reasons and for a variety of emotions. to the Filipino woman, crying isn't always equated to being sad (like the losing of a loved one or being hurt physically or emotionally) but may also indicate an overflowing happiness, as when one meets a relative one hasn't seen for a very long time, or when one receives an unexpectedly abundant material blessings. likewise, women may cry because of depression or hopelessness or even just to release pent-up emotions.

men crying however, is a different story. because men are still seen as the stronger sex, the man is expected to refrain from shedding tears and only when there is an extremely emotional reason can one see a Filipino man cry. these reasons may include losing somebody who is extremely important or perhaps losing everything he has. however, with more and more women movement being formed in the country, and the gender equality roles being disseminated more open-minded Filipinos don't anymore adapt a stereotypical attitude as regards crying between genders
pinay_ako

Postby SunYuRim » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 pm

There is saying, "The man only have cried three times after he had born." in Korea. "When he was born", "before he join the army", "when his parents pass away" are those. Actually this means their will to be a strong man as a male. I think it is false(i used to watch my brother crying). But in common, the saying is right. Men cries less than women.
Women can cry whenever. Even they're not sad, they could cry! As can l :) That is not for cunning, i wanna say that women can cry whenever they want(There might be a lot of exception). When she is sad, when she acheived something, when she is angry, when she is embarrased!!!!
Women cries quite many times.
SunYuRim

Postby Floressal » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Mcmorning/nagyeongahn wrote:I don't think that there are certain situations when men or women are "allowed" to cry.
Anyone can cry when they feel the sadness. I think that no one should be ashamed of crying or repressing their tears because it is not allowed.
Feeling of sadness is something that toatally depends on individuals.

Hello, I totally agree with you. I'm from Mexico and sadly the majority of men think that if a men cries is because he is weak or gay, I do not agree with that, in the other hand for women is ok to cry for almost everything, jaja funny
Floressal

Postby James Trotta » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks for talking about Mexican culture. I look forward to hearing more! Let me give you a few language things:
Floressal wrote:Hello, I totally agree with you. I'm from Mexico and sadly the majority of men think that if a man cries, it is because he is weak or gay. I do not agree with that. On the other hand for women it is ok to cry for almost everything, jaja funny
James Trotta
Site Admin

Next

Return to Gender