What are some typical jobs for men and women?

Discuss sexism, changing gender roles, feminism, etc.
James Trotta
Site Admin

What are some typical jobs for men and women?

Post by James Trotta »

In your country, are there jobs that are mostly performed by women or jobs that are usually performed by men? Also, how has your country changed in the past 50 years? Fore example, 50 years ago in America we said "police man" and indeed police were normally men. Now we say police officer and it's more common for women to join the police force (though I suspect we still have more male than female cops in the US).

smile-Park SungSoo

Re: What are some typical jobs for men and women?

Post by smile-Park SungSoo »

In the past, Korean women were usually viewed as the “lower” gender compared to men, mostly due to the fact that Korea was influenced by Confucianism. Women had to be gentle, calm, and quiet, and mainly do housework. Therefore, there were more housewives in the past, than the present. Men were expected to earn for their families; thus, they had a larger range of jobs compared to women. These days, the line seems vague upon which gender does what job. Both genders share the same opportunities for every job (except those which require man power). Women get equal rights to work in companies, armies, and even become members of the National Assembly. However, many women have a hard time controlling their jobs and housework (such as baby care) at the same time, and this is becoming a big issue in Korea. Some typical job fields women work in are: kindergarten teachers, flight attendants, nurses, insurance company workers, help desk ladies etc. Typical job fields of men are: firefighters, car engineers, car racers, army generals, soccer players etc.

smilekwakbaekseung

Post by smilekwakbaekseung »

I am pretty everywhere has the same issue, not just only in Korea and US. When i was in Singapore, men still dictate the high level of jobs, such as CEO, directors and physical jobs, as they are capable of these kind of works. However, women in Singapore work as sales or waitress, more like services sector

Nelly

Post by Nelly »

Well I am a woman and I am a civil engineer. The men believe that thats a man's job...I dont think so! Now we are 4 women engineer and one man! But I think there is not a specific job for a woman either for a man...you can be whatever you want!

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

Where are you from Nelly? I love the idea that people can be what they want, but that's easier said than done in most countries. For example a Korean man that wants to be a home-maker would be looked at pretty strangely. A Korean woman who wants to be a pilot would likely have a tough time as well...

Sun-Bora-Han

Post by Sun-Bora-Han »

Obviously, there has been some biased thoughts about jobs in Korea. It's like the best job for girls is teacher and boys should be doctors... And in the very past girls could not even get a chance to be educated. They were coerced to do some housechores like sewing, cooking ...like that. In this regard, I am very happy that i am not born in Chosun. Although the gender prejudices are improving there are some serious problems in Korea that hinders perfect equality of job. Working moms don't have places to leave their lovely children while they are in work. Private childcare institutions are too expensive and public institutions are insufficient. Companies do not care them cuz It is more profitable to them to lay off moms and hire men. For these reasons, women feel hard to keep their working after they get babies except few freelancers. I think before we solve this problem the gender district in jobs will not disappear in Korea.

(102)SeongEun Park

Post by (102)SeongEun Park »

I think typical jobs for men is engineer.
Because engineer is danger for women which has to handle with fire.
And typical jobs for women is nurse.
Today there are many man in hospital for nurse, but still nurse is remained for women.

(101)Limseounghoon

Post by (101)Limseounghoon »

I think that typical jobs for men is soldiers, because this job needs to take danger and physical challenge for women I think. Also typical jobs for women could be baby sitter. This is quiet true that usually women have more sophisticated skill fot this job and good at dealing with baby. I think this kind of classification is based on some gender dicrimination but also innate factors too.

(102)YangChulJoo

Post by (102)YangChulJoo »

I thought these days, professional jobs are more popular than others because nowadays there's a lot of anxious in the economy so people prefer more stable jobs. so Korean girls most likely to become a teacher. And korean men love to become a lawyer or fund manager

(CVI)Jaesoon Hwang

Post by (CVI)Jaesoon Hwang »

In Korea, people call the nurse 'unnie' which refers to only women, but there are no tilte for a male nurse. Nurse is considered as women's job, because of its nature of caring. These days, male nurses are increasing.

As upper case, genderrole in labor market is being collapsed.

(102)TaeHyeon Lee

Post by (102)TaeHyeon Lee »

I think the miner is typical jop for men. The miner is a hard physical job.
So, up to this day, miners are mostly men.

mi song choi

Post by mi song choi »

I think the typical job for men is architect.
Because I think men have a good sense of building structure.
and typical job for women is nurse.
Because delicate sense and acute observation is proper to women.

eva.lawdavis

Post by eva.lawdavis »

Hello, I'm a teacher from Australia who has students from many different countries. they are posting their opinions on jobs for men and women today.
Please follow their posts and respond.
many thanks from Australia.

cinzah

Post by cinzah »

I think that the typical jobs for men and women are very different in my country. Men are very hard job like building, farming, head of hard job for men.
Women are hard job too they take care their children, cooking, cleaning etc... I'm from Burma but I live in Australia. :) :D

van

Post by van »

I believe that the typical job for a man is to be a person that can help his family and others when they need help that is a real man, in last 50 years my country had civil war or i would say my country past three dicate war but in last ten years my people developed in every part specially on their education and other activities like sports and etc, now men and women has an equal rights in every part, before women were not allowed to join the army and now they can join army . I know some guys might mention taliban, actually I have no idia who are they and for who they work or actually their exist, please no comments on those people i mean Taliban. Regards