fight against the male-dominated society

Discuss sexism, changing gender roles, feminism, etc.
elevenoclock_kyungAOh

fight against the male-dominated society

Post by elevenoclock_kyungAOh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:04 pm

While reading the article "The Miracle Is Over. Now What?", I was extremely sorry for the Korean work environment which is unfavorable for women. The wage differentials between men and women are huge in Korea, which ranks top in the wage gap among developed countries. In addition, Korean women often have to endure discriminations at work. They come to realize that their opportunities for advancement are quite limited compared to men. This is because Korea is still a male-dominated society. I think we should fight off the shameful anachronism because it will eventually hamper the growth of Korea. Women have a great deal of economic potential. Hyun Jung Eun, a chairwoman of Hyundai group is a good example. If all the women go to work, some people can ask “Then who can take care of children and house choirs?”. I believe that the whole Korean society should be in charge of child care and men should do housework, too.

elevenoclock_min-jungchun

Re: fight against the male-dominated society

Post by elevenoclock_min-jungchun » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Aren't they..? I see lots of men working at their houses nowadays, which I think in a positive way.

Moreover, yes, as you said, I agree with the idea that 'the whole Korean society should be in charge of child care and men should do housework'; and I believe it has already changed. It's only people from old days. However, they are going to retire soon; and young people who think like you and I do will rule this world. Therefore, we may say the Korean society has already changed or maybe will be totally changed really soon as old people take their hands off from the leadership one by one.

Just wait patiently. Dreams come true!

elevenoclock_kyungAOh

Re: fight against the male-dominated society

Post by elevenoclock_kyungAOh » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:21 am

I admit that more men among young generation are doing household chores nowadays. But do you think they are doing those chores as their own work? I don’t think so. When they do the chores at home, they think they are helping their mother or wife. If they don’t feel like to do it, they just don’t. Then, their mother or wife is the one who has to do it. For example, my husband sometimes vacuums our house and takes care of children. But he thinks that he is just helping me and even expects me to be thankful. As you mentioned, Korean society has been changing. However, I think we still have so many things to be changed in order to root out the ingrained stereotype of the male-dominated society. If we just wait for it, there will be no change any further.