Paint his toenails pink and mess him up for life?

Discuss sexism, changing gender roles, feminism, etc.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Paint his toenails pink and mess him up for life?

Post by James Trotta » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:14 am

Interesting controversy on gender getting started in the US right now - even made it to the front page of Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou ... ontroversy

smile Moon Tae Ho

Re: Paint his toenails pink and mess him up for life?

Post by smile Moon Tae Ho » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:03 pm

It is quite amazing how a color of a boy's toenail can be a controversial issue.
I do not see any significance in the color of the boy's toenail. He seems just like a kid with a bright smile !
Pink is just a color that can be loved by both boys and girls. Colors are just colors !
As a person pointed out in the video, i doubt that anyone would have said anything if they saw a girl playing with trucks in the mud.
This is just a weird stereotype.

smilesuyeonjeong

Post by smilesuyeonjeong » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:27 am

I agree. I think they are overreacting about this advertisement. People are so sensitive and say that the mom is encouraging the child to be gay. This is ridiculous! If a girl was wearing a blue shirt, then is THAT encouraging the girl to be a lesbian? And if the child that likes pink turned out to be gay, so what? I think in US or just any other places they say that they are not discriminating gays but deep in their mind, they are.

boxcar

Post by boxcar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:55 am

smilesuyeonjeong wrote:I agree. I think they are overreacting about this advertisement. People are so sensitive and say that the mom is encouraging the child to be gay. This is ridiculous! If a girl was wearing a blue shirt, then is THAT encouraging the girl to be a lesbian? And if the child that likes pink turned out to be gay, so what? I think in US or just any other places they say that they are not discriminating gays but deep in their mind, they are.
This brings up a good point to my mind. Why is it ok for parents to encourage children to be heterosexual by buying them things that are considered normal for their gender? Is this just in line with religious morality?