The role of women in the making of a sexually equal society

Discuss sexism, changing gender roles, feminism, etc.
frontdoor_kyoungson

The role of women in the making of a sexually equal society

Post by frontdoor_kyoungson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Discrimination in work places has decreased in many ways compared to decades ago. But that doesn't mean that disadvantages against women in the work force have perfectly disappeared. There still are many problems left to be solved for this society to move further towards sexual equality. Thankfully, circumstances are getting better, and nowadays women can raise their voice easily than the past so we still have chances to set things right. But before demanding change in social conditions, there is one thing I would like to mention about the role of women in sexual equality.

One example I want to discuss about happens often in the office; the usual 'women gets coffee and men carry heavy boxes' problem. Many women complain that they feel unpleasant when their male bosses ask them to make coffee even though there are men co-workers that can do that chore instead of her. During class last week, a fellow student who had job experience was sitting in our conversation group and he said that women complain about making coffee while they don't even try to move their fingers when guys move heavy loads. He said it was their 'moving boxes is your job' attitude that annoyed him.

And I have to agree there is a problem in that kind of behavior. Without doubt, there are physical and mental differences between man and woman, and the type of work they do should be assigned considering these differences. But if women really want to earn the benefits and privilege that seem to belong to men coworkers, they should at least try to do what would be usually assigned for men. They should show their male coworkers and their company that women can also do things that was thought to be the job of men. And it's not only about moving boxes I'm talking about.

I'm not condemning all business women in this society that they work with a lazy attitude. What I intend to say is that if women want sexual equality and more power within the work environment, they shouldn't just cry out loud for equality and wait for the society to change. They should actively participate to show that they can be as good or even better then men in the work force, and that they have every right to demand a better treatment from this society.

jccaliofrnia

Re: The role of women in the making of a sexually equal soci

Post by jccaliofrnia » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:58 am

Society is a simbiotic relationship you have to live with this. We all complement each other
And the way you put it seems more like a perssonal problem than a whole Society problem

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:24 am

What should women do in the workplace then? I guess I'm just not sure how they can overcome the common prejudice that women will quit work to start a family.

I also wonder what percentage of female workers quit to start a family and how many quit because they want to and how many quit because the company "encourages" them.
frontdoor_kyoungson wrote:And it's not only about moving boxes I'm talking about.

elevenoclock_kyungAOh

Post by elevenoclock_kyungAOh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 am

According to the survey from Han Kyo Reh newspaper, about 28% of women quit their job after marriage. Moreover about 80% of married women lose their job and 9.2% find another job after their childbirth. So, childbirth has cut totally 89.2% married female workers off their career. Most of them leave their job to take care of their child.

I think it is very difficult for an individual woman to change this situation. After childbirth, they are forced to quit the job in their workplace as well as at home even they want to continue their career. So, it might stand to reason that most companies avoid hiring women and encourage married or pregnant female workers to quit the job. Of course this is unfair and needs to be changed. If a female worker who is highly competent should quit her job only because she has too many household chores or needs to take care of her children, it would be a big loss in society in terms of an economy. So, I believe that the whole society, the government in particular should increase the investment for childcare system. For example, women in Israel usually continue their work after childbirth because they have well organized childcare system. For Israelis, women are not considered as the only one who is responsible for raising children. The whole Israel society is in charge of it. I think this is the most desirable condition for women as well as men.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sun May 08, 2011 9:08 am

I agree with most of what you said, but not this:
elevenoclock_kyungAOh wrote:Most of them leave their job to take care of their child.
Actually, based on the stats you gave, most women leave jobs because they are pushed out the door, leaving them with no option but to become a stay-at-home moms. My understanding is that this is currently against the law. Sounds like the Korean government is doing a horrible job of enforcing the law though. I think it's painfully obvious that enforcing the law would be good for Korea (more women in the workforce helps offset the declining population problems) and also what's holding back progress (corporations have too much influence on politicians).