Are Korean girls all lesbian?

Discuss sexism, changing gender roles, feminism, etc.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Re: Are Korean girls all lesbian?

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:11 pm

I hear my students say all the time, "it's very unusual for two guy friends or two female friends to hold hands or walk arm-in-arm." However, from my American perspective it happens a lot, so to me it still seems quite common.
Mcmorning/nagyeongahn wrote:Well, those kind of expressions happen between little girls. These days, not many grown up girls don't do that.
But for little girls you can't say that they look like lesbians.
I guess today many girls are taking the Western style of concept in friendship.

Daeun Lee

Post by Daeun Lee » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:38 pm

I agree with you however, i think this may be restricted up to high school studets. I rarely saw in University that women have their arm crossed or taking each other's hands. And actually, it's Korean Culture, as every korean knows, and I'm also curious that why the boys can't do that.

Although I live in Korea during 21 years, I don't know why the differece is occur. In Korea, I think, the BOYs must be individual and seperately from GIRLS. And girls usually lean on each other, however, boys show off their own abillities separately. This can be showed differently even in ordinary situation, I think. :)

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:54 am

I often see university students with their arms around each other or whatever. I see male on male and female on female more than I see male / female couples. Not holding hands usually, but arm in arm and the like I see all the time.
Daeun Lee wrote:I agree with you however, i think this may be restricted up to high school studets. I rarely saw in University that women have their arm crossed or taking each other's hands.

(102)SeongEun Park

Post by (102)SeongEun Park » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:56 am

Not all girls hang out with taking their hands. But sometimes they feel closely each other and take hands.
Calling lesbian who take hands is close thinking.

(CVI)Jaesoon Hwang

Post by (CVI)Jaesoon Hwang » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:13 pm

People have to try to accept the culture they are facing. Of course it's difficult to understand other cultures but it depends on individual maturity. Foreigners should not see the girls shaking hands as lesbians and Koreans also try to be care about others when they are in other countries.

Like proverb, When in Rome, Do as Romans do.