Single or In a Relationship?

Talk about dating, breaking up, getting married, etc. This is where you can talk about units 2 & 4 in Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students.

Is it better to be single or in a relationship?

Single
37%
In a Relationship
63%

Total votes: 79

(lab102)hyeeunlee

Re: Single or In a Relationship?

Post by (lab102)hyeeunlee »

I have always recommended people to be in a relationship with their significant others for the following reasons, even though there may be demerits in the course.

First, the realationship which couples share is different from various relationships that are webbed in our lives. In a realationship between a man and a woman as a couple, we can experience a very strong intimacy, which can never be experienced in other relationships. And in this kind of intimacy, knowing that there's someone who will be on the person's sideno matter what happens makes the person feel a great stability and happiness. This will lead the person to hold his or her confidence when the person feels weak and fragile.
And second, this kind of close connection can make us become mature hunman being, beacuse the relationship can only be lasted through the effort of the both parties envolved : the efforts for thoughtful considerations and mutual respects through a good deal of communications. In other words, trying to keep the relationship on the go can teach us a lesson even for other human relationships.

Most of all, being 'the only one' for each other gives a magnificant feeling. :P
(apple) ohseunghyun

Post by (apple) ohseunghyun »

what if i think of myself single but others think that i have a gf?

then what do i have to choose ? anyways, i prefer to be in a relationship with someone, though. it seems to be very hard to date with a REALLY nice girl.

I personally put the first for honesty, but i doubt that many Korean women are honest. i mean, they are somewhat sly in some points. :)
starbucks_KyungAOh

Post by starbucks_KyungAOh »

I fully believe being in a relationship is much better than a single. As a married woman, I admit that I have to give up many things which I was able to enjoy when I was a single. I can’t go out with other men, I can’t drink with my friends all night long, and I can’t enjoy my freedom on holidays any more. However, I have my own family in return, which is much more valuable. I can go out with my husband, I can drink with my family all night long, and I can share our “Family Love” on holidays.
(starbucks)Han Sun Joo

Post by (starbucks)Han Sun Joo »

Actually, I'm in a relationship now. So I think In a relationship is better than single. Because I have a boyfriend, I'm more happy than past. And we can help each other when we are in adversity. In my opinion, it is the most important fact. We always help each other and through these process we can do better. Of course, somebody said single is better than in a relationship because of freedom. But I consider that the freedom contains feeling of solitude. Therefore I think "In a relation ship" is better than single.
(sixzero7)JungKarim

Post by (sixzero7)JungKarim »

hey Sunjoo, I know you're having a boyfriend in our department, and wonder why you suggest this question haha.
Anyhow, Single or in a relationship both have advantages and disadavantages.
However, I think having boy or girl friend would better choice.

Why people get married ? This is because people want to beloved.
When feels I have someone who I could rely on, this could give you fundamental happiness.
So being in a relationship help individuals to be relaxed and make life happier.
Apple-GyeYeonCho

Post by Apple-GyeYeonCho »

Wow!! Is it really true that 65% of people who are in our class get a girlfriend or boyfriend??

It's interesting enough!

I thought there are only 30~40% of people who are in relationship just right before I devoted and saw the graph.

Actually, I'm in relationship.

I know, it can be seen very uncomfortable for many people :(

So what I just want to say is,

Guys, be ambitious!! Cheer up!! :D
102 Jun Kyoung Ah

Post by 102 Jun Kyoung Ah »

I think being in a relationship is better than single.
Both of them have their own merits and shortages, but I believe two is better than one. That's why people take marriage as important part of their life.
When we stay single, we can have our own time and could enjoy our own life. But the problem is loneliness. I think humans are social animals that require close relationships with other people. We always want to be with our fellow. It could be friend, family, fiance whatever. It's the instinct every humans got. So I think this is not different in the relationship between man and woman.
(Lost)Ju

Post by (Lost)Ju »

I'd like to stand on the later side, in a relationship.

Although it's pretty tough to keep the good relationship steadily, there are much more benefits than just being a single.

Especially for me, I really need a girlfriend because I don't want to watch a movie alone or with guys.
Also, as being in a relationship, it really helps me feel safe mentally.
(starbucks)Hong ji eun

Post by (starbucks)Hong ji eun »

well, i'm single women. and in fact i don't have any experience relationship.
but when i consider my friend's experience, i think that relationship is so complicated thing.
but it's not a good ideal to maintain single. becuase relationship means that we have another dependent absence. furthermore through the relationship, we can learn social relation. of course single have lots of advantage things. for example we don't have to care other's mood. but i think that through the relationship, we have to develope ourselves.
(sixzero7)Leekwanhee

Post by (sixzero7)Leekwanhee »

I want to be single.
Because I want to be free.
If I gat married, I should take care of my husband and children.
Others may think that I am selfish.
But right now I don't want to get married.
However, this think can be changed.
I can't make sure.
angelitonegro

Post by angelitonegro »

201020811 Peter Park wrote:I think being in relationship has adventages and disadventages.
For example, if one is in relationship that pereson has somebody to date with but at the same time that person alson has somebody to spend money with. Being in relationship is really cost of money... :( but if you are rich, being in relationship would be okay...:D
Hi Peter.

I am single but I agree with you when you say "relationship has adventages and disadventages"

but I am in desagree when you say if you are rich, you can be okay.......
you don't need spend money all time. you can do many things........ whacth movies, have a dinner in home,.........well just i think.
I am understand many women thinking diferent. maybe this is the reason I am not have somebody.

I'm sorry about my english i try practice it.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

angelitonegro wrote:Hi Peter.

I am single but I agree with you when you say "relationship has adventages and disadventages"

but I am in desagree when you say if you are rich, you can be okay.......
you don't need spend money all time. you can do many things........ whacth movies, have a dinner in home,.........well just i think.
I am understand many women thinking diferent. maybe this is the reason I am not have somebody.

I'm sorry about my english i try practice it.
No worries - let's keep practicing. Just a suggestion or three:

I am in desagree when you say... -> I disagree when you say...
well just i think -> Well, that's what I think.
maybe this is the reason I am not have somebody. -> Maybe that's why I'm single.
(102)Wonjae LEE

Post by (102)Wonjae LEE »

Actually i don't mind being single. I don't know exactly why, maybe because i have a lot of things to do ? And being in a relationship seems to me quite tiresome. But if i get old, then maybe i would feel lonely :lol:
(103)Choi Wankyu

Post by (103)Choi Wankyu »

I would like to marry. Wedding partner is not only just a partner, but a life mate who can share all the sadness and delight. There is a research result that marrying people live longer than unmarried people. I think this is what shows how wife or husband can be a credible soul mate. I want to have this kind of relationship with whom I love, so I would marry someone.
(103)JunhoLee

Post by (103)JunhoLee »

Its deffinitly better to be in a relationship BUT only if you are with the right person at the right time.
Everyone knows that dating with an unfitting person can be a pain in the ass but even if you are dating the right person,
it can be a trouble if your doing it at the wrong time.
For example, having a boyfriend/girlfriend when you are a senior in highschool is a bad idea. Keeping the relationship working
will just take too much studying time away. However, getting into a relationship after being admitted into a University (in case of Korea)
can be mutually beneficial.