Intercultural Wedding Experience

Talk about dating, breaking up, getting married, etc. This is where you can talk about units 2 & 4 in Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students.
elevenoclock_yoonahkang

Intercultural Wedding Experience

Post by elevenoclock_yoonahkang »

I was surprised to read 'chapter 2. Intercultural Wedding Experience'.
Thai marriage tradition is too complicated to understand.
However, It is their own culture that it should be respected by everyone.

I think Intercultural Wedding is a matter to be desired.
The culture can be prosperous when it meets other culture.
Intercultural Wedding is one of the way to carry out this.

Sun-Bora-Han

Re: Intercultural Wedding Experience

Post by Sun-Bora-Han »

I was also surprised to read chapter 2 for the same reason. It is too complicated. But I also came up with the thought that It-all the complicated ceremony-shows Thai tradition is well preserved.
Thesedays Korean wedding ceremonies became too simple and ostentatious I think.
Most Korean do the wed in western style and there is few symbol and meaning. In this respect, Thai wedding has some positive aspects.
And about international marriage-I think there is no reason or right to discourage it. But we need to be more open minded to those couples and their children.

(sixzero7)YooTaeKwan

Post by (sixzero7)YooTaeKwan »

I agree that intercultural wedding is too complicated. However I also think that intercultural wedding should be considered to indivisual stuff.marrige is one of the most important thing in our lives. Marrige should not be considered with social stuff. It's indivisuial thing.

Ban Hye Jin

Post by Ban Hye Jin »

I agree to some extent in your opinion.But many rituals that is complex seems to be bad.Nowadays,a lot of tradition has been simplifying.
TO focus having inherited the traditional mening is needed.I do not think that to simplifying rituals would narrow the meaning of tradition.
I think change matching time is more important.

(103)ChoSunhee

Post by (103)ChoSunhee »

I like what you wrote,

"I think Intercultural Wedding is a matter to be desired.
The culture can be prosperous when it meets other culture.
Intercultural Wedding is one of the way to carry out this."

and totally agree with you.

In fact, when we see just animals, cross mating does bring interesting results especially when it comes to two different species, and since there is a tendency to take only dominant genes, there's a great chance of getting a genetically superior one as a result of intercultural wedding, then. Now, I'm seriously considering planning the intercultural wedding.

(starbucks)Hong ji eun

Post by (starbucks)Hong ji eun »

I also agree with your opinion.
Above of all, i was also surprised at chapter2 contents. of course intercultural wedding can make lots of trouble.
because there are lots of different thing in that their culture. so we need to respect other's cultures and customes.
and also we need to accept diffenrent things. but i think that the most important thing is our mind. then love can be overcomed by another things like marriage culture.

woogayeon(sixzero7)

Post by woogayeon(sixzero7) »

I think yous idea is good. "The culture can be prosperous when it meets other culture. Intercultural Wedding is one of the way to carry out this."
And I was suprised too when I first encounter Thai wedding. it is really complicated.
And today's wedding culture is the example of combination of Korea's wedding culture and America's wedding culture.

(102)Min je Jung

Post by (102)Min je Jung »

Intercultural marriage is these days a trend going on throughout the world. Numerous couples from different cultural backgrounds have marched their weddings. I do know the limitless power of love would overcome hardship aroused by differing backgrounds. However, it is important to investigate the side effects brought by intercultural marriage. First thing to be considered is language barrier. Since marriage is not only a union of two individuals but a union of two families, a communication between two sides of the families should not be neglected. Yet the language barrier could bar the interaction between the two families. Secondly, a number of intercultural-married couples have failed to raise their children to get accepted well into the society. Children often become outcast forming a minority in the society arousing an alarming societal problem. Therefore it is wise to reconsider carefully when it comes to the intercultural marriage.

(101)Junho Richard Lee

Post by (101)Junho Richard Lee »

The first writer of this thread said that the way to wedding seems to difficult to him, but for those who are living in other cultural area could consider our merrige culture so difficult just as same as us. Actually the wedding shown in chapter 2 looks so odd to me, too. The groom have to give dowry to bride, and giving golden things, and etc... But after grasping some knowledge related to background of the culture, it was very reasonable. However those kind of good-intentionally started costume could be toxic to the member of society who are sharing same culture, since there are so many examples which means substitutes end, in Korean, '목적 전치 현상'.

(103)LimChan

Post by (103)LimChan »

Exchanging with other cultures would make our's unique, but perhaps if we try to accept too much at once it would make things way to unorganized and complicated, as the marriage in the chapter did. Personally I thought does long ceremonies would make anyone exhausted if he's not used to it. I think when accepting things from foreign cultures must go through some limitations, so we could make it much more acceptable.

(102) Youngju Song

Post by (102) Youngju Song »

I agree that intercultural wedding is quite complicate. However, what is more important in marriage is one's home background, not the society. Lots of young couples got divorced because of the difference between their home background in Korea. Though they are both Korea, the environment they have been raised are quite different and they have some troubles because of the background. Because wedding is private thing, I think culture is not that important.

(102)SeongEun Park

Post by (102)SeongEun Park »

Intercultural Wedding is one way of realizing a love overcoming the boundary of nation.
I thought in young age I want to marry foreigner. Yet my parents generation have a conservative spirit.
They can't understand Intercultural Wedding.

(102) cho hye ryung

Post by (102) cho hye ryung »

I don't agree with your idea that marriage tradition should be respected by everyone, even if it's too complicated.
Of course, it is their tradition that has been passed on for a long time, but I think this kind of unnecessary tradition and custom should be abolished.
The one and only thing that is needed in wedding is love and trust of each other.
Other thing like money, house to live in or education background is not a prerequisite to a marrige.
In Korea,especially, the process of marriage is too intricate and extravagant.
Most of men and women save their money for long to get married.
I think this custom in Korea and other country should be abolished or simplified.

(103)Jin Hyeongho

Post by (103)Jin Hyeongho »

One of the obstacles in intercultural wedding is the linguistic problem, I think.
If we have spouses who are from other countries, you cannot usually express your thinking 100%.
But, without that, kind of expression problem, I think there is not that big problem on intercultural wedding.
The ceremony of the wedding is not that big problem, too.