Dating and marriage

Talk about dating, breaking up, getting married, etc. This is where you can talk about units 2 & 4 in Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students.
Front door - Ko Yun Jeong

Dating and marriage

Post by Front door - Ko Yun Jeong » Thu May 19, 2011 2:13 pm

I think at least dating and marriage are a inseparable relationship. But we should think that 'marry for love' is really ideal. Because those days people usually marry through 'meeting each other with a view to marriage'. Why does this happen? Nowadays, most people put emphasis on partner's specification. For example, marriage bureaus rate one's class according there annual income, family background, level of education and even appearance. This shows people find a partner who has similar specification with themselves. So in some ways, 'meeting each other with a view to marriage' may be better than 'marry for love'.

lingjiang

Re: Dating and marriage

Post by lingjiang » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:56 am

it might due to today's situation.too much competition . some young people want to find a easier way to live to success.
and some succesfull people do not have much time to put in their relationship.
marry same background people will be better chioce.
but i think most of us want marry for love.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:47 am

I don't think it's because of today's situation because wasn't marrying someone of the appropriate class even more important in the old days in Korea?
lingjiang wrote:it might due to today's situation.too much competition . some young people want to find a easier way to live to success.
and some succesfull people do not have much time to put in their relationship.
marry same background people will be better chioce.
but i think most of us want marry for love.

LOST yewoo

Post by LOST yewoo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Marrying someone of the similar class has an advantage.
People who grew up in similar environment have close value, level of education, way of life.
This means possibility of conflict would reduce and satisfactory of married life would be increased.
That's why people look for their marriage partner who grew up in similar environment these days.

Lost Baek Haewon

Post by Lost Baek Haewon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am

I think people prefer to marry people from similar backgrounds, people with similar jobs.
And that has not much changed from the past. I believe the preference in favoring a person with specific traits attributes to people being more realistic when it comes to marriage. Marriage is about dedicating one's life to the other. It accompanies duty and resposibility. Thus, for a successful marriage, I think people consider various factors to be more careful.

(Lost)Ju

Post by (Lost)Ju » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Partially, I agree with your idea.
As you mentioned, many people nowadays consider their partners' specification as a way to increase the potential of their successful life after getting married. Yeah it's not bad idea in some ways. In fact, I know some couples who've got married recently and they really thought about the other's background such as their parents' job, where they live, and so on. I think that's kind of essential because just dating and marriage are wholly different issues.
Marriage is real, not something like just what we can see or imagine in the movies or dramas.