whats your opinion on inter-racial marriage?sixzero7)

Talk about dating, breaking up, getting married, etc. This is where you can talk about units 2 & 4 in Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students.
choyongbin

whats your opinion on inter-racial marriage?sixzero7)

Post by choyongbin »

i think race is irrelevant in marriage, it's commitment and love that make the relationship.However, in some cases there is a clash in culture between the family's. I think race is just about the smallest part of a relationship. I've never understood the objection to inter racial marriage, if you love someone you have the right to express your love, whoever you are.

(apple)LeeJaiyeul

Re: whats your opinion on inter-racial marriage?sixzero7)

Post by (apple)LeeJaiyeul »

Personally I think marriage isnt only about love. When two VERY different cultures are together, even though the person him/herself is great, there will be many conflicts. I think it's ok if you really are ready to understand your partner's differences. But if you're not ready and you only consider love as the most important quality for marriage, may be difficult

Apple-GyeYeonCho

Post by Apple-GyeYeonCho »

I agree with U. I think race is not that important. But, many people in korea think interracial marriage is very horrible. I think it's because of the wrong cognition from korean history. One point which many korean always proud of is that korea is a single-race nation. Especially adults. To them, mixed race is not allowed. However, many people in new generation changed their thinking. So maybe next generation I think, the wrong cognition about inter-racial marriage will become much more improved. :D

(Starbucks)Young Il Seo

Post by (Starbucks)Young Il Seo »

I think inter-racial marriage is quite desirable. Everybody have a right to express their own emotions. When men and women fall in love with devotion, there are no obstacles between them. That is, race or birthplace doesn't matter. But, practically, inter-racial couples would face many difficulty especially in Korea. Racial prejudice still exists in Korea. So we can easily find negative eyes toward different race around us. In addition, in school, bullying to different race is often found. Unfortunately, they are only too true. The words I said don't mean that I'm against inter-racial marriage. But what I want to say is that people who want to marry with different race should consider not only their present happiness with lovers but exterior conditions in future carefully.

(apple)phamchiduc

Post by (apple)phamchiduc »

There is a clash in between the families because usually the parents of the spouses are quite concerned about the couple's future. Not only the couple, but also their children as well. Inter-racial marriage is a beautifl thing, i agree. But not everyone seems to see so. The real side of the society we live in, is actually the ugly side - which includes prejudice and criticism. Parents just don't want their children and their grandchilren having to go through all that living their lives. That's why they oppose, or have their clashes as you mentioned. Still going forward with it would be a challenge, and would also be setting one of the greatest examples for life itself.

A+bakyeoeul

Post by A+bakyeoeul »

I agree with you and I think it is another problem to be resolved, the bias and mal-conceptions, as there are practical changes. Of course you don't put up with those, that's what makes changes.
The prejudice are learned, though deep rooted, but not surprisingly things that are right are acquired, too. Practicing those is one of the ways to fight the prejudices. No one could cite some instinctive antipathy to beat what is deserve to be conceded. I think what is instinctive is the love one has for another.

woogayeon(sixzero7)

Post by woogayeon(sixzero7) »

I agree with your opinion ,too. I think race is irrelevant in marriage.
It is true that there are a lot of serious factor relevant to marriage. There is mant factor in marriage, but I think the most important factor in marriage is "Love". It is major factor in marriage. The others are minor one. However there can be clash in culture between the family's. But If who are trying to understand and embrace each other by the power of love, I think they can solve that clash enough.

(sixzero7)Leekwanhee

Post by (sixzero7)Leekwanhee »

I also agree with your idea.
I think racial is irrevant in marriage.
But my parants don't think like that.
They don't want me to marry different racial person.
Because it is hard for them to talk with foreigner.
They also think that foreigners can't understand our Korean culture.
So I sometimes worry about my marriage.