Age gap?

Talk about dating, breaking up, getting married, etc. This is where you can talk about units 2 & 4 in Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students.
LOSTminjukim09

Age gap?

Post by LOSTminjukim09 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:14 am

I am currently in a relationship and my bf is 7 years older than me.
When I was younger, I used to imagine this age gap would be perfect but it turned out that it has its problems.
Firstly I tend to expect something that I wouldnt to if he was similar age as me. I happened to have this stereotype that he should be super manly and always be the perfect guy just because I am way younger.
I know it's wrong but I just flip and blame whenever he makes a small mistakes. My bf is already pretty good to me like he would walk me home, cook for me, alwys say nice things to me.
I guess I am just getting spoiled.

Another thing is I so envy my friends that are campus couples. I mean even if they are not from same campus still they are both university students They are usually same age or just one year older or younger. They can study together, always have lots of things in common, share similar experience and mature together.

But with my bf, he has been there, done that, sometimes doesnt understand me having fun without him (like night out) and most importantly we have different daily routines.
But when i complain about these stuff he ll claim that I am way better off because he is patient and not playful and understand me better cuz he is mature.

Bottom line, what do u think about dating with somebody that is fairly older than u?

(starbucks)Eun-jae Rhee

Re: Age gap?

Post by (starbucks)Eun-jae Rhee » Thu May 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Well, unless he really does not have any commons to talk about, I think it is OK to meet a person though he is fairly older than me.
As you go through now, there can be distresses because of age gap.
But I recommend you to think different!
Your boyfriend is more competent than guys who are in your age.
His older age means he lived longer than I, so he must have depth in thinking earned by experience.
(I don't know it will be said for you to hear, but)He will do quite nice to you because he underwent trial and error. Now you are living on the fat of the land!
And you can go a drive and enjoy expensive hotel dishes that your friends dating with guy who are in same age cannot do.
Try to look at the bright side. I hope you overcome your problem well.

LOSTminjukim09

Post by LOSTminjukim09 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:25 am

Who said anything about him being rich and fancy dinners? Hes not that competent either:/

(starbucks)Eun-jae Rhee

Post by (starbucks)Eun-jae Rhee » Sat May 12, 2012 1:27 am

I thought he would have a job if he is at least 27-year-old(since I don't know your age, so I said 'AT LEAST'). And plus, the praise 'we have different daily routines' made me think he is a worker which is different with you.
If he has a job, he would be paid, so I thought you could enjoy what I mentioned.
I apologize to you for my misjudging. hope you not to be much displeased with it.^^;

(apple)Joohoyoung

Post by (apple)Joohoyoung » Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 am

i am a man who is 21years old
i am meeting a girl who is a year older than me
but, if a GF is years and years older than me,
i would be scared and feel distressed
because i want to take responsibility on dating with girl
so i pay more and protect her
However if she always treat me as a cute child,
i am gonna try to show my strength and it will make me feel tired.

(Starbucks)Cho Yoon Jeong

Post by (Starbucks)Cho Yoon Jeong » Tue May 15, 2012 5:46 pm

I think dating with someone who is fairly older than me is totally fine if I am in love with that person.
Dating should be with someone whom you passionately love. And what if that someone is quite older than you? doesn't matter because you still love him/her.
In a relationship, I think the only thing that matters is if they truely love each other or not.

(Starbucks)Cho Yoon Jeong

Post by (Starbucks)Cho Yoon Jeong » Tue May 15, 2012 5:46 pm

I think dating with someone who is fairly older than me is totally fine if I am in love with that person.
Dating should be with someone whom you passionately love. And what if that someone is quite older than you? doesn't matter because you still love him/her.
In a relationship, I think the only thing that matters is if they truely love each other or not.

(sixzero7)JungKarim

Post by (sixzero7)JungKarim » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:17 am

I think it does not matter how old a man or woman is. Even if a man or woman is apparenly older than a counterpart, it would be fine someone has younger or older than normal person. In case of my parents, they have quite big age gap. However, they get along with well in any time. This is because they share common hobbies, and especially my dad has younger mind than people of his age.
In Korea, a lot of people have stereotype that they would not get along with each other well if they have big age gap. I hope these people to abandon prejudice and rather encourge marriages without social stereotype.

apple-anyumi

Post by apple-anyumi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:01 pm

It's completely personal. Some might prefer it but some might not.
Some advantage exist, but sometimes some disadvantage could offset the advantages.

I think the difference of daily routines of two must be a huge hindrance.
But as long as you two had decided to start a relationship, that hindrance is what you have to bear.

I know a couple who have 23 years gap between them.
They are the most extreme case of couple who have a wide age gap.
They have their problem in their own way, but they are doing really well even now. They love each other, and sometimes fight just as normal couples.

Age gap is obviously what could matter depending on situations, but not what matters always.