Battlefield Tourism(lacking seriousness)

Where have you been? Where are you going? This is the place for talking about chapters 1. 3, & 7 of Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students.
(starbucks)Han Hye Kyung

Battlefield Tourism(lacking seriousness)

Post by (starbucks)Han Hye Kyung » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 am

These days, many people often visit battlefield as a picnic spot with family or a date course with boyfriends or girlfriends. We can easily find these examples such as Namhan Sansung. People usually don't visit Namhan Sansung to feel the soul of soldiers and thank to their contribution unless they are doing their homework at universities. People visit those battlefield areas as good places to walk or chat with friends.
Do you think that it is better for battlefield areas to be familiar with people even in entertainmental way or this kind of trend among people should change? Do you believe that battlefield areas should be in solemn atmosphere remembering soldiers who died in fierce wars even though in this way, people cannot easily become friendly with battlefield and its history?

(starbucks)Kuk Hye Ran

Re: Battlefield Tourism(lacking seriousness)

Post by (starbucks)Kuk Hye Ran » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:37 pm

I believe that we should think again about battlefield tourism to inspire patriotism because our society is filled with individualism.
Individualism makes people estrange communal life. So, we do not intersted in national events except for individual events.
Hisrory education is very important through battlefield tourism. Educational institutions should,therefore, design histoty education programs like visiting tourist attractions where an important battle was once fought especially for children to feel gratitude to soldiers giving up their freedom and devoting for their nations.
In conclusion
Battlefield tourism is something that we can retrospect great events getting forgotten in history and mourn for all those who died in the battle

(101)Leeyerang

Post by (101)Leeyerang » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:33 pm

I think that battlefields should be remaind as it were in the battle. The reason people made it a tourism is to make people remember the history of the war and i think that the battlefied itself is a piece of history that is alive. But if these battlefields change its original purpose i think that there is no reason to remain the battlefield. It might rather be better to change it to another tourism place. If battlefields are remained it should be remaind as the original purpose.

(Aplus)parkjaeheung

Post by (Aplus)parkjaeheung » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Actually it's disgusting that people drink at Namhan Sansung. People at least show some respect to our forefather. People should think what historical place means. It's not for fun. It's for educate sources.

(starbucks)Han Sun Joo

Post by (starbucks)Han Sun Joo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:36 pm

I think Battlefield must be preserved as itself not commercial place or playground. we should keep in mind patriotism and honor to ancestor's the will of saving the country. If Battlefield is turned to playground, we can't have these important lesson.

(Aplus)kimyongsun

Post by (Aplus)kimyongsun » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:48 pm

I believe that we should preserve the battlefield to honor the soldiers' sacrifice. In these days, people are rarely interested in history and the importance of the patriots' sacrifice. Therefore, they often damage the battlefield and the sacred battlefield degenerated into a tourism business. I think that as one of the nations we should preserve the historic place and the government also should supplement the current maintenance.

(Starbucks)Cho Yoon Jeong

Post by (Starbucks)Cho Yoon Jeong » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Although I agree with the opinion that battlefields should remain its origin appearance and purpose, I certainly think that exhibiting the visual and auditory materials about the era the battle took place at the battlefield is much more efficient. Many tourists go to battlefields to feel the ancestors' labor toward the will to protect the motherland. However, without any background knowledge about the battlefield, the purpose of going there; to feel the ancestors' labor toward the will to protect the motherland becomes superficial because tourists do not have any idea why the ancestors had to fight. That's when tourists need visual and auditory materials. They can understand more thoroughly about the battlefield, and therefore achieve the purpose of visiting the battlefields.

(starbucks)Sim In Bo

Post by (starbucks)Sim In Bo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:46 am

Of coure, I agree with that battle field is solemn palce to remeber the soldiers who died in the batllefield for their country or dynasty. However, these days many people don't have the history or the battlefield. So I think we should maintain the entertaining part and develop new attracting part to draw people who don't have the interst to the history or battlefield. And it contributes to the people know the history about the battlefield and remember that.

(starbucks)HurJeongHo

Post by (starbucks)HurJeongHo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:28 am

Battle field's preservation and it's appearnce is important. But I think attitude is more important than how is battlefield's appearance. When we go to battle field, we should study about the battle, and the battlefield before going there. If we study about the battle first, we will have reverence mind so that do not take a mistake like a drinking alchol in battlefield, and we can learn soldier's sacrifce, battle's lesson more. I think this is actual purpose why battle field exist.

(Starbucks)Seungjae Lee

Post by (Starbucks)Seungjae Lee » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Well, I think it is important to promote the battlefields first. If nobody visits battlefields, the important history will fade away from people's memories.
Then the soldiers' sacrifices and struggles also will disappear from our memories. So inspite of being lacking seriousness, it is necessary to make the areas familiar.
After getting popular, we can reminds visitors of initial purpose of battlefield tourism - reminding people of our history - by constructing monuments or making programs
such as experiencing the historical events. Then the battlefield tourism will be more meaningful.

(sixzero7)jihyun park

Post by (sixzero7)jihyun park » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:27 am

I think that battlefields are preserved as solemn places. Because battlefields remind family of the deceased of painful memories. And if battlefields become known as picnic areas, there is no reason to be promoted as battlefields.

(sixzero7)woogayeon

Post by (sixzero7)woogayeon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 pm

I think it is better for battlefield areas to be familiar with people even in entertainmental way.
If people even do not visit the historical place, it will be just forgotten from people.
So I think even in entertaining way, it is better that people visit the place rather than just forgot about it.
If people forgot about it, the place can be get ruin cause no one care about it.

(101)soo0710

Post by (101)soo0710 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:41 am

Well i do think that people should advertise historical battlefields for tourist to visit but at the same time, they should promote it in a way to attract people so that they could have a place to chill and drink. Its still a battlefield where many of our ancestors have fought and lost their lives so despite its a tourist area, they should still show respect and actually visit these places in the remembrance of what has taken place in that area. they also consider the pain and distress the people from back then have been through. Its main historical because it has a meaning o us all so they should respect that part of our culture.

(apple)Nam Jeonggeun

Post by (apple)Nam Jeonggeun » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:24 am

I agree with you.
Of course, It is best to preserve the historic dignity of battlefields and also draw entertaining components from visitors when people sightsee battlefields. It's a win-win situation.
But people these days, especially adolescents, as you say, regard the tour to battlefields as just a picnic spot or a date course. This is an obvious problem, for,viewing our historical remains
without true consciousness to historical values as just object for amusement is as valueless as apathy toward history.

(apple) jung hyun chae

Post by (apple) jung hyun chae » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:39 am

I think that battlefield tourism should be maintained as a place where we can think about soldirs who made sacrifices themselves for the country. Some people say that they feel being imposed a patriotic spirit in battlefields. But I think battlefield can be an opportunity to consider the cruelty of war and an antiwar idea, so it depends on their original idea about war and country.