POOR BRANDIZATION OF KOREAN FOOD

This broad topic includes diet, exercise, smoking, alcohol, and unit 5 of Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students.
Frontdoor(TAEYEON)

POOR BRANDIZATION OF KOREAN FOOD

Post by Frontdoor(TAEYEON) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB49s0Sa ... re=related

We Korea have an awful ability to develop a certain item which is absolutely valuable to be notified to the world. The creator of face book, Mark Zuckerberg, has said that he got an inspiration from the Korean social network site, “Cyworld.” What I want to say is our nation is enough intelligent to make excellent initial stuffs, “but” we are way too narrow-minded, and don’t give little eye on the world enjoying them among ourselves in the small well.

In New York, Korean food is pretty much well renowned such as Bulgogi and Bibimbap. However, its popularity is not more than that of Japanese or Chinese food. Some might assume that it is due to less famous national brand than those two ones. It cannot be an excuse, though. How about Thai, Indian food? They almost have been settled as American Food (the reason why I recognize “America” as a standard of gauging food popularity is that all different nation people gather in America called a melting pot.) I thought about the difference of Thai food and Korean when I ate lunch in a Thai restaurant in Boston. In fact, I was kind of a patron of that place. There was no special reason. It was d**n delicious! But do you know how terrible Korean restaurants are in Boston? Even though I am Korean, I was not able to recommend those places to foreign friends. It was shameful. Sincerity is the best feature of ours, but the only thing existing in their dish is trash full of chemical ingredients. Also, there was no attempt to globalizing taste especially in Boston where ivy-league universities gather together, which leads to a diversity of nations accordingly.

A Single person cannot achieve a goal to notify the world of our food. As a government department, food creator division should be introduced. Like public entrepreneurs, private and public sector should cooperate with each other to develop our excellent culture, “Korean food” as a brand.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Re: POOR BRANDIZATION OF KOREAN FOOD

Post by James Trotta » Sun May 08, 2011 9:26 am

Never had Korean food in Boston but in New York it's generally been alright. The problem is (maybe) that it's expensive. I mean we expect sushi to be expensive in America but we don't expect bibimbap to be pricey - it's just rice and vegetables so we think it should be cheap. In Korea it is, but in America it's not.

Also, many Korean restaurants also serve "Japanese food" like sushi - this might weaken the Korean brand by telling people that Korean food isn't good enough to stand alone.

scarlettO

Post by scarlettO » Mon May 09, 2011 12:31 pm

I occasionally watch cooking shows on TV, and seldom see any mention of Korean food. Most of the famous chefs that are televised prepare Chinese, Italian, American, or Mexican, with an occasional Indian or Thai. Maybe Korean television is different, but some reason, it doesn't seem to be advertised or marketed worldwide. In Rick Casey's travel shows, we see different food in different countries, but again, haven't seen Korean. I think too that many people have no idea what Korean food is either. I didn't until a friend I met here on the forum told me about different things and even sent pictures of the food. She was just one person though.

scarlettO

Post by scarlettO » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Just recently, I notice that Hugh Jackman hosts a Korean food show, Kimchee or something like that is the name of the show. Ming once in a while features some Korean, Chinese, etc., but there is still not enough advertising or marketing done here in the U.S.

philipsteele

Post by philipsteele » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:10 am

wow :o ...thats great... :idea: yea i heard about the Bulgogi and Bibimbap but didn't taste it..now my teacher assigned me to write an essays about korean food...so i think these information's will be more useful for me..thanks for sharing and expecting more.....;)

Mujer

Post by Mujer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:34 pm

JoseppeProg, Since I can't read Korean, could you translate your latest post for me. It is an interesting subject, and there are very few Korean restaurants or stores where I live in Texas. I have some idea from a friend Yuan Yui who used to post on this forum, but haven't seen or heard from her in a long time. She sent me pictures of some of the Korean food...bibimbap, etc. Thanks!