Impression of 'Charlotte's Web' by E. B. White

Poetry, prose, and all that jazz. And unit 10 of Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students.
(106) Bora Im

Impression of 'Charlotte's Web' by E. B. White

Post by (106) Bora Im » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Although a form of 'Charlotte's Web' is a fable, in which animals are main character, White describes all characters on a basis of close observation. Therefore, readers can get to know spiders' habits as well as moral lessons. The story could be a good example which can teach children about real friendship and good virtues. Not only for children, but also for adults is 'Charlotte's Web' a fascinating story because of a main character's model. Charlotte resembles E. B. White's wife. The writer created such a nice character recalling his wife, and this fact makes the book even heartier because readers can guess that White loved his wife so much.

Then, what do you think about the story? Do you have any favorite children's story which you read as a child?

(106)이양우

Re: Impression of 'Charlotte's Web' by E. B. White

Post by (106)이양우 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Reading Charlottes's Web, by E.B. White, I realized that it was not the first time reading this story. I had a chance to read this story, and it was second time reading it. This time I tried to put more emphasis on checking author's style of writing. I believe that the writer does have a very special way of describing his characters. Expressions such as elegant and sexy were very refreshing since I have never thought of animals in that way. I was a good opportunity to have a new idea about animals.

(106)Seokjin Hong

Post by (106)Seokjin Hong » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Usually the children books that I read, gave me this impression that they were written mainly for children, and even when I read them years and years after, my thoughts on this matter remains the same.

But with Charlotte's Web, it's a story that can be read both by children and adults.

For children it could be a hearty, nice-to-read book.
For adults, it could be way deeper than that.

Either way, the book is written sophisticatedly enough to be enjoyed both by children and adults alike, even if the impression they get after reading it is different in many ways.

Children's books that I used to 'especially' enjoy when I was a boy, were the books drawn(more than written) by Eric Carle.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar was one of my favorites.

(102)Kim su yeon

Post by (102)Kim su yeon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:34 pm

I agree with you.The story is interesting and I think it can be read by adults as well as children.
Charlotte saves the life of a pig, Wilbur. It was interesting part.
I think in this story, we can find the value "love and commitment"

Return to “Art, literature, music, movies, comics, etc.”