Arlo Guthrie past perfect class discussion

Learn how English grammar rules communicate ideas by looking at examples of English verbs in use. Discuss verb tense and active/passive issues here.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Post Reply
James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Arlo Guthrie past perfect class discussion

Post by James Trotta » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:07 pm

This is the thread for asking questions about the past perfect presented here:
http://eslgo.com/classes/arlo-guthrie.php

Aziz
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:42 am
Contact:

Re: Arlo Guthrie past perfect class discussion

Post by Aziz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:18 pm

I will write some sentences about past simple and past perfect.
I went to the Tajik Agrarian University in 2005. I had finished a secondary school before it.
My grandmother had died before my grandfather died.
I was in Turkey in 2014 but I had been in Dushanbe before.
Two years ago, I went to my uncle`s home. I had never been before.
I worked in a bank one year ago but I had never worked before.


Let me ask you some questions. When we use past perfect could we use like (years ago) or we have to use it only in the past simple?
Another question is about present perfect. For instance I have never watched a movie before. Is it right? Or I watched it before.
The other question is about word BEFORE. Could we use word before in the Past simple? or we use it only in the past perfect?

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Arlo Guthrie past perfect class discussion

Post by James Trotta » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:20 pm

:D
Aziz wrote:I will write some sentences about past simple and past perfect.
I went to the Tajik Agrarian University in 2005. I had finished a secondary school before it.
My grandmother had died before my grandfather died.
I was in Turkey in 2014 but I had been in Dushanbe before.
Two years ago, I went to my uncle`s home. I had never been before.
I worked in a bank one year ago but I had never worked before.


Let me ask you some questions. When we use past perfect could we use like (years ago) or we have to use it only in the past simple?
Another question is about present perfect. For instance I have never watched a movie before. Is it right? Or I watched it before.
The other question is about word BEFORE. Could we use word before in the Past simple? or we use it only in the past perfect?
I went to Tajik Agrarian University in 2005. I had already finished secondary school.
My grandmother died before my grandfather died. (but you could say My grandfather died in 2010. My grandmother had died the year before)
I was in Turkey in 2014 but I had been to Dushanbe before.
Two years ago, I went to my uncle`s home. I had never been there before.
I worked in a bank one year ago but I had never had a job before. (worked - as in your original sentence - is OK grammatically but I guess you had done school work and other kinds of work)


When we use past perfect could we use like (years ago) or we have to use it only in the past simple?

Can you give me an example? I would say: I went to Alaska 10 years ago. Past perfect would not work there.

Another question is about present perfect. For instance I have never watched a movie before. Is it right? Or I watched it before.

Well both are grammatically correct. They just have different meanings. Let's use present perfect and past perfect together:

I have been to Alaska (present perfect to discuss an unspecified time in the past). I had never been that far north before (past perfect to describe a time before the present perfect thing).

The other question is about word BEFORE. Could we use word before in the Past simple? or we use it only in the past perfect?

Past simple and before can work together: I went to Seattle right before I went to Alaska.

Aziz
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:42 am
Contact:

Re: Arlo Guthrie past perfect class discussion

Post by Aziz » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:07 am

I went to the USA in 2010 but I had never been there before.
My girlfriend studied German year ago but she had not studied it before.
In second world war most people used a tank in order to destroy big buildings or towns but before they had never used it.

Here, I would like to ask a question. In last sentence I used (the word BEFORE) in the middle of sentence. Is it right?
Or could we say like. In second world war most people used a tank in order to destroy big buildings or towns but they did not used it before.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Arlo Guthrie past perfect class discussion

Post by James Trotta » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:51 am

Aziz wrote:I went to the USA in 2010 but I had never been there before.
My girlfriend studied German year ago but she had not studied it before.
In second world war most people used a tank in order to destroy big buildings or towns but before they had never used it.

Here, I would like to ask a question. In last sentence I used (the word BEFORE) in the middle of sentence. Is it right?
Or could we say like. In second world war most people used a tank in order to destroy big buildings or towns but they did not used it before.
I went to the USA in 2010 but I had never been there before. :D
My girlfriend studied German year ago but she had not studied it before. :arrow: My girlfriend started studying German a year ago. (We wouldn't say that she had never studied before because the first sentence says when she started - we already know that she had never studied it before she started studying)
In second world war most people used a tank in order to destroy big buildings or towns but before they had never used it. :arrow: In the second world war, most people used tanks to destroy buildings and towns. They had never used tanks before.

You could say "They used tanks in WWII but before they had never used them." I think this is possible in conversations but usually we would say ...never used them before.

Erika
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:43 am

Re: Arlo Guthrie past perfect class discussion

Post by Erika » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:39 pm

I had been living 40 years in Puerto Rico.
I decided to move to Florida.
They had never been in Europe and Australia.
Daniel did not participate in the classroom.
She told her mother that she won't go to the mall.
Chary left her daughter at school.

Please correct me.

Thanks.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Arlo Guthrie past perfect class discussion

Post by James Trotta » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:17 pm

Sorry for the delay :oops:

Just so you know, I suggest writing a story instead of sentences because with verb tense, a lot of times where you are in the story tells me which verb to use. So a sentence could be correct all by itself but not make sense in a certain spot in a certain story.
Erika wrote:I had been living 40 years in Puerto Rico.
I decided to move to Florida.
They had never been in Europe and Australia.
Daniel did not participate in the classroom.
She told her mother that she won't go to the mall.
Chary left her daughter at school.

Please correct me.

Thanks.
I had been living in Puerto Rico for 40 years when I decided to move to Florida. 8-) Good use of past perfect 8-)

They had never been in Europe or Australia.

Daniel did not participate in the class.

She told her mother that she won't go to the mall.

Chary left her daughter at school.

Post Reply