Obong mountain past perfect class discussion

Learn how English grammar rules communicate ideas by looking at examples of English verbs in use. Discuss verb tense and active/passive issues here.

Moderator: Soon Mi

James Trotta
Site Admin

Obong mountain past perfect class discussion

Post by James Trotta » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:48 am

Here's the discussion thread for http://eslgo.com/classes/obong.php the Obong Mountain past perfect class. Ask questions about the class if you have them. If you're ready, try telling us a story using past simple and past perfect. Have fun :D I will help you with the grammar so you can learn from your mistakes.

hollyce

Re: Obong mountain past perfect class discussion

Post by hollyce » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:17 am

I been working in Riyadh before. I remeber the first time I step my foot on a plane. I was very nervous, I had never been to any country and I felt so lonely to traveled alone.It was 8 years ago, but I still have that feeling of loneliness to be far from my families.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:01 am

Hi there :)
hollyce wrote:I been working in Riyadh before. I remeber the first time I step my foot on a plane. I was very nervous, I had never been to any country and I felt so lonely to traveled alone.It was 8 years ago, but I still have that feeling of loneliness to be far from my families.
I'm not quite sure about your first sentence. Probably it should say:

I used to work in Riyadh. I remember the first time I stepped foot on an airplane. I was very nervous. I had never been to a foreign country and I felt so lonely traveling alone. It was 8 years ago but I still have that feeling of loneliness being so far away from my family.

Note how I changed the first sentence to past simple. That's correct if you worked in Riyadh but don't work there any more. Very nice use of past perfect to say you had never been to a foreign country. It reminds me of when I left America to go to Korea. I had been on planes before, but never a long flight. I had traveled abroad before but only Canada, Bermuda, and the Bahamas - all very close.

hollyce

Post by hollyce » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks Sir James,
Im glad, for your helped. For now, Im happy that I start ed learning. Please do correct my sentences if Im wrong. I really appreciate your time.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:51 pm

You're welcome. I'm happy that you've started learning too :)
hollyce wrote:Thanks Sir James,
Im glad for your help. For now, Im happy that I started learning. Please do correct my sentences if Im wrong. I really appreciate your time.