Question thread for Raiders of the Lost Ark active passive quiz

Learn how English grammar rules communicate ideas by looking at examples of English verbs in use. Discuss verb tense and active/passive issues here.

Moderator: Soon Mi

James Trotta
Site Admin

Question thread for Raiders of the Lost Ark active passive quiz

Post by James Trotta » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:58 am

Here is where you ask questions about the Passive voice quiz from the Raiders of the Lost Ark movie: http://eslgo.com/quizzes/raiderspassive.php

Moregrace

Re: Question thread for Raiders of the Lost Ark active passive quiz

Post by Moregrace » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:31 pm

Am little bit confuse about these words: have, has and had are they not thesame?

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:45 am

Thanks for the question Moregrace :D
Moregrace wrote:Am little bit confuse about these words: have, has and had are they not thesame?
Have and has are present tense (I/you/we/they have, s/he has) while had is past tense. They can also be part of the verb (for example the present perfect is has/have + past participle - I have had trouble with learning Korean but right now I am doing well).

If you are having trouble with a particular sentence, please post it here. It's easier to explain language in context.

Moregrace

Post by Moregrace » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:54 am

Please, i want to know the meaning of present simple, present continuous, past simple, past continuous and past perfect. What does active and passive verbs means?

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:57 pm

I will try to help Moregrace :D
Moregrace wrote:Please, i want to know the meaning of present simple, present continuous, past simple, past continuous and past perfect. What does active and passive verbs means?
Let me answer the active passive one here since this thread is about active and passive. Active is when the subject does something: Indiana Jones escaped.

Passive is when something happens to the subject: Indiana Jones was captured.

Usually we prefer active - most of your sentences should use active verbs. But sometimes we use passive to describe what happens to the main character.

Now, you asked about present simple, past simple, present continuous, and past continuous. Try this http://eslgo.com/classes/grammar/englis ... erview.php and tell me if that helps.