Describe a movie or TV scene here

Learn how English grammar rules communicate ideas by looking at examples of English verbs in use. Discuss verb tense and active/passive issues here.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Post Reply
James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Describe a movie or TV scene here

Post by James Trotta » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Here's my video - it's a 3 minute scene from Seinfeld, an American comedy TV series that was popular when I was a high school kid in the 1990s. Not how I mostly use active verbs to describe what George, the main character, is doing. Can you spot the passive verbs (the verbs that describe what happens to George instead of what George does)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY

George is looking at the ocean. He seems sad. Then he meets his friends at a restaurant. George tells his friends that he has a lot of good qualities but that his life isn't so great. George orders chicken sald instead of tuna salad, hoping his life will change. Then George is told that a woman is checking him out. George says that bald men with no jobs who live with their parents don't talk to women, but he is persuaded to go talk to her. George tells the woman that he is unemployed and lives with his parents. Normally that would be a turn off, but the woman, Victoria, seems to be attracted to George.

hollyce
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:07 am

Re: Describe a movie or TV scene here

Post by hollyce » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:18 pm

Hello Sir James,
Its from the same Tv series Seinfeld. I had never been watching this movie before. But I chose to used this scene for our learning exercise.

They arrived at the front desk, and was asked their names. He said, his name is Seinfeld and his asking for his med size reservation. He was joking too, about her company need some small size, because she was small. While the woman was working on computer, theyre joking about Seinfeld will go on a date with an old woman. The woman had said, they run out of car. Seinfeld insist how come they have reservation if they dont have cars. He told the woman that its important that they will hold the car for reservation. Because everybody needs it and they can took it. He was told to wait, while the woman talked to his Boss. He was thinking that the woman just pretend to have a conversation. So He and her friend was copying the same thing and pretending. When the woman comes out, she said she really had a conversation and they offer him a New car.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Describe a movie or TV scene here

Post by James Trotta » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi Hollyce. You can call me Jim. I remember that episode. Here is your scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM
hollyce wrote:They arrived at the rental car desk, and were asked their names. He said, his name is Seinfeld and he had a mid size reservation. He was joking too, about his friend needing a small size, because she was small. While the woman was working on the computer, Seinfeld was asked if he would go on a date with an old woman. The rental car agent said, they had run out of mid size cars. Seinfeld asked how come they have reservations if they dont have cars. He told the woman that its important that they hold the car for reservation. Because holding the reservation is more important than taking the reservation. He was told to wait :D , while the woman talked to her Boss. He was thinking that the woman was just pretend to have a conversation. So He and his friend were doing the same thing and pretending. When the woman came out, she said she really had a conversation and they offered him a compact car.
I would add that I think the joke about his friend being a small is a little different then what you describe. The joke is that he had a reservation for a mid size but he got a small. It's kind of like he had reserved a woman instead of a car and he got the wrong woman.

hollyce
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:07 am

Re: Describe a movie or TV scene here

Post by hollyce » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:09 am

Thanks Jim,
Sometimes, there are some sentences that I dont really understand. It seems liked a simple sentence but has deep meaning. :lol:

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Describe a movie or TV scene here

Post by James Trotta » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:49 pm

That's totally normal with jokes like the one in your Seinfeld scene. Some jokes in English you will get, but some jokes you won't even know were supposed to be funny.

Good job on this assignment :)
hollyce wrote:Thanks Jim,
Sometimes, there are some sentences that I dont really understand. It seems liked a simple sentence but has deep meaning. :lol:

Naimah
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:53 am

Re: Describe a movie or TV scene here

Post by Naimah » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:42 am

The proposal: Andrew Rescues Margaret.


Margaret took a boat and she was driving too fast Andrew was in the boat too. Andrew asked her what is wrong. Margaret said I just want to get away. Margaret was keep driving fast. Andrew asked her again would You tell me what is wrong with you. Margaret didn't answer him and Andrew yell her name twice. Margaret said I forgot ok. Andrew said to her you forget what?
Margaret said I forgot what was it like to have a family, and I was on my own since I was sixteen. Margaret said I forget to have a people, who loves you and make you breakfast and say hey we love to come down for the holidays. Margaret said I screwed up your family is going to find out about our marriage is not reall. She said your family loves you. Andrew said my family is not going to find out. Margaret said if your grandmother finds out she will get heart attack. Margaret was let of go the wheels and Andrew took the wheels, while they were talking the boat hid the goosebumps and Margaret fall of the boat. Andrew though Margaret was in the boat. Andrew said I don't think that hijacking a boat is not appropriate to solve your frustration. Andrew looked back but Margaret was not in the boat. Andrew turned back the boat so he will look Margaret. Margaret was in the middle of the water and Andrew Rescued her.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Describe a movie or TV scene here

Post by James Trotta » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Can you search for a Youtube link :?:
Naimah wrote:The proposal: Andrew Rescues Margaret.


Margaret took a boat and she was driving too fast Andrew was in the boat too. Andrew asked her what is wrong. Margaret said I just want to get away. Margaret was keep driving fast. Andrew asked her again would You tell me what is wrong with you. Margaret didn't answer him and Andrew yell her name twice. Margaret said I forgot ok. Andrew said to her you forget what?
Margaret said I forgot what was it like to have a family, and I was on my own since I was sixteen. Margaret said I forget to have a people, who loves you and make you breakfast and say hey we love to come down for the holidays. Margaret said I screwed up your family is going to find out about our marriage is not reall. She said your family loves you. Andrew said my family is not going to find out. Margaret said if your grandmother finds out she will get heart attack. Margaret was let of go the wheels and Andrew took the wheels, while they were talking the boat hid the goosebumps and Margaret fall of the boat. Andrew though Margaret was in the boat. Andrew said I don't think that hijacking a boat is not appropriate to solve your frustration. Andrew looked back but Margaret was not in the boat. Andrew turned back the boat so he will look Margaret. Margaret was in the middle of the water and Andrew Rescued her.
Margaret took a boat and she was driving too fast. Andrew was in the boat too. Andrew asked her what was wrong. Margaret said I just want to get away. Margaret kept driving fast. Andrew asked her again would You tell me what is wrong with you. Margaret didn't answer him and Andrew yelled her name twice. Margaret said I forgot ok. Andrew said to her you forget what?

Margaret said I forgot what it was like to have a family, and I have been on my own since I was sixteen. Margaret said I forget what it's like to have people who love you and make you breakfast and say hey we love to come down for the holidays. Margaret said I screwed up. Your family is going to find out that our marriage is not real. She said your family loves you. Andrew said my family is not going to find out. Margaret said if your grandmother finds out she will have a heart attack. Margaret let go of the wheel and Andrew took the wheel, while they were talking the boat hit :?: goosebumps :?: and Margaret fell off the boat. Andrew thought Margaret was in the boat. Andrew said I don't think that hijacking a boat is an appropriate way to solve your frustration. Andrew looked back but Margaret was not in the boat. Andrew turned back the boat to look for Margaret. Margaret was in the middle of the water and Andrew Rescued her.

Tibaijuka
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:45 am

Re: Describe a movie or TV scene here

Post by Tibaijuka » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:56 pm

It is 7:00 O'clock in Kampala. Peter has just arrived with the morning bus. Peter looks confused. He is looking around for his elder brother, but the bother is no where to be seen. Then, a lady approaches him and asks Peter weather he needs help. "Of course, I do," he replies. After narrating his ordeal, Peter is shown a gentleman seated a few meters away from where he is standing.Guess what, it is his brother wondering what is happening to Peter since the bus arrived long ago.

Peter runs to his brother, who had not seen him, and they hug each other happily. Thereafter, Peter is led to a waiting car, and off they drive. On reaching home, Peter informs his brother how he was worried after waiting for long without seeing him. The brother laughs it off to the annoyance of
Peter.

On seeing how the brother had prepared for his arrival at home, Peter breathes a sigh of relief and hugs him again.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: Describe a movie or TV scene here

Post by James Trotta » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:13 am

What is this scene from :?:
Tibaijuka wrote:It is 7:00 O'clock in Kampala. Peter has just arrived with the morning bus. Peter looks confused. He is looking around for his elder brother, but the bother is no where to be seen. Then, a lady approaches him and asks Peter weather he needs help. "Of course, I do," he replies. After narrating his ordeal, Peter is shown a gentleman seated a few meters away from where he is standing.Guess what, it is his brother wondering what is happening to Peter since the bus arrived long ago.

Peter runs to his brother, who had not seen him, and they hug each other happily. Thereafter, Peter is led to a waiting car, and off they drive. On reaching home, Peter informs his brother how he was worried after waiting for long without seeing him. The brother laughs it off to the annoyance of
Peter.

On seeing how the brother had prepared for his arrival at home, Peter breathes a sigh of relief and hugs him again.
It is 7:00 O'clock in Kampala. Peter has just arrived on the morning bus. Peter looks confused. He is looking around for his elder brother, but the brother is no where to be seen. Then, a lady approaches him and asks Peter whether he needs help. "Of course, I do," he replies. After narrating his ordeal, Peter is shown a gentleman seated a few meters away from where he is standing.Guess what, it is his brother wondering what is happening to Peter since the bus arrived long ago.

Peter runs to his brother, who had not seen him, and they hug each other happily. Then Peter is led to a waiting car, and off they drive. On reaching home, Peter informs his brother how he was worried after waiting for so long without seeing him. The brother laughs it off to the annoyance of Peter.

On seeing how the brother had prepared for his arrival home, Peter breathes a sigh of relief and hugs him again

:arrow: Thereafter makes sense but seems a bit too formal for the context. That's why I switched it to "then". "After that" would work too.

Post Reply