Describe a personality using present and / or past simple

Learn how English grammar rules communicate ideas by looking at examples of English verbs in use. Discuss verb tense and active/passive issues here.

Moderator: Soon Mi

James Trotta
Site Admin

Describe a personality using present and / or past simple

Post by James Trotta »

Please post your descriptions here. You can describe a colleague, a family member, a celebrity, or even yourself.

Tibaijuka

Re: Describe a personality using present and / or past simple

Post by Tibaijuka »

My current personality differs greatly from the past. I used to exhibit low esteem but not anymore. However, I didn't know about low esteem until much later in my working life. Most of the time I would be less involved in group activities especially actively debating in meetings. I remember, one day, my boss reprimanding me for being indifferent about company affairs that fell outside my docket. He, then, advised me to be more proactive. My social life was greatly affected because I kept a distance from people; I had a few friends.

To overcome this problem, I started reading books on self esteem and being positive about life. In this way, I changed a great deal in the way I perceive life. In addition, attending seminars organized by motivational speakers also contributed to boosting my confidence. But, I am sure poor grammar was the major cause of this phenomenon: the reason I have been actively seeking for ways of improving my speech as well as writing skills. That is how I landed on this site.

But what surprises me is that I excelled at school throughout. I got good grades at every level of my education.

If anybody out there is facing a similar dilemma, I am here to advise you that your problem is not insurmountable. Take active steps to solve it, and it will be no more.

Naimah

Post by Naimah »

My mother is kind, humble, and loving person. She helps the people who need help. I remember When I was young my father came and he brought a lot of gifts, and my mother kept some dresses I really liked. after a few months man came and he asked my mother my family they need clothes and I don't have money to buy it. My Mom she went to her the room and she took a new dresses and she gave him. I said to her why are you giving him these beautiful dresses they live in the village she said they are really need it.
My mom always says to me before you were born. First I had two girls and than three boys and I became pregnant I said o please God give me a girl and I will name to her Nimco. Allah accept her prayer and she had me. I really love my mom and I miss her, although we live apart. She lives in Nairobi and I live Seattle, Washington. The last time I saw her it was 2013.

jai15

Post by jai15 »

Hey James
Thanks again for giving an opportunity to share about the courageous,stubborn,and the kindest woman
who devotes her life for her children. She is my grand mother,the oldest woman in our family.

Before going to talk about my grand mother,we should go seventy years back. In 1930's some villages in Southern parts of India
were not developed and most of the village people were ignorant. Their ignorance made them to believe that women's birth,their education,and their rights were immoral acts. You should believe that they killed or abandoned the new born girl babies
as soon as they born. Because a girl's Father had to give lot of money,jewels and lands to groom's family when his daughter
got into married.The poor farmers didn't have that much money. So they consoled their-selves Female infanticide was better than
to keep their daughter unmarried. In addition to female infanticide,there were lot of crimes against women. Women
were allowed neither getting educated nor going outside from home.The another cruel thing was child marriage.
Even if the groom was 30 years old man,he would marry a 6 years old girl by using her poverty and the social stress.

Now I come to the point,My grandma was born at one of those villages only. Unfortunately she was saved by her aunt who
has only one son.She promised my grandma's parents to accept my grandma as her daughter in law. So They didn't kill her.
My grand ma was 9 and my grand fa was 13 When My grandfather married to her.My grandma was just 15 when my mom was born.
My grandma birthed and raised her five girl babies where it was a crime to give a birth to one girl baby.
The courageous woman bravely said "I give a birth to this baby.
I donot know whether it is a boy or girl when I carry her.so it is my duty to protect her." She proved her words.
Even though my grandfather was working she started to make bamboo boxes which was used to carry some foods. At that time It was one of
the necessary thing in grocery shops.So this boxes were easily sold at acceptable price.Making a bamboo box is a time consuming job.
A well trained person,himself had taken 6 hours to make 2 boxes day.But she made 4 boxes in a day. It was shown her Hard working and persistence

When My grand ma sent my mom to school.Most of the village people opposed her.They warned my grandma that
no girl was allowed to go to school in this village.If you disobeyed our rules no one in the village would talk with you.
But My grandma was very stubborn.She sent her all five daughters to school. She continuously worked hard until her all daughters obtained
good position in the society.

Now My grand ma's first daughter,My mother is a famous document writer. Her second daughter is a clerk.third,fourth and filth children
are teacher,engineer and principal.Every one becomes self sustained person. They are in good status.The people
who disagreed with her,now astonish at the growth of her daughters. At present she becomes very old.She in enjoying
her retired life with her daughters and grand children.We all take care of her.She is a role model to her grand daughters.
She inspires us to face the life with self confidence.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

Good advice :D
Tibaijuka wrote:My current personality differs greatly from the past. I used to exhibit low esteem but not anymore. However, I didn't know about low esteem until much later in my working life. Most of the time I would be less involved in group activities especially actively debating in meetings. I remember, one day, my boss reprimanding me for being indifferent about company affairs that fell outside my docket. He, then, advised me to be more proactive. My social life was greatly affected because I kept a distance from people; I had a few friends.

To overcome this problem, I started reading books on self esteem and being positive about life. In this way, I changed a great deal in the way I perceive life. In addition, attending seminars organized by motivational speakers also contributed to boosting my confidence. But, I am sure poor grammar was the major cause of this phenomenon: the reason I have been actively seeking for ways of improving my speech as well as writing skills. That is how I landed on this site.

But what surprises me is that I excelled at school throughout. I got good grades at every level of my education.

If anybody out there is facing a similar dilemma, I am here to advise you that your problem is not insurmountable. Take active steps to solve it, and it will be no more.
My current personality differs greatly from the past. I used to exhibit low self esteem but not anymore. However, I didn't know about low esteem until much later in my working life. Most of the time I would be less involved in group activities especially actively debating in meetings. I remember, one day, my boss reprimanding me for being indifferent about company affairs that fell outside my docket. He, then, advised me to be more proactive. My social life was greatly affected because I kept a distance from people; I had a few friends.

:arrow: I had a few friends is good grammar, but it could be good or bad. I think you mean to say this as a negative so I would use "I had few friends" or "I had only a few friends." That way people will be more clear that you are talking about a problem.

To overcome this problem, I started reading books on self esteem and being positive about life. In this way, I changed a great deal in the way I perceive life. In addition, attending seminars organized by motivational speakers also contributed to boosting my confidence. But, I am sure poor grammar was the major cause of this phenomenon: the reason I have been actively seeking ways of improving my speech as well as writing skills. That is how I landed on this site.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

I hope you see her again soon :D
Naimah wrote:My mother is kind, humble, and loving person. She helps the people who need help. I remember When I was young my father came and he brought a lot of gifts, and my mother kept some dresses I really liked. after a few months man came and he asked my mother my family they need clothes and I don't have money to buy it. My Mom she went to her the room and she took a new dresses and she gave him. I said to her why are you giving him these beautiful dresses they live in the village she said they are really need it.
My mom always says to me before you were born. First I had two girls and than three boys and I became pregnant I said o please God give me a girl and I will name to her Nimco. Allah accept her prayer and she had me. I really love my mom and I miss her, although we live apart. She lives in Nairobi and I live Seattle, Washington. The last time I saw her it was 2013.
My mother is a kind, humble, and loving person. She helps people who need help. I remember When I was young my father came and he brought a lot of gifts, and my mother kept some dresses I really liked. after a few months a man came and he told my mother his family needed clothes and he didn't have money to buy them. My Mom went to her room and she took a new dresses and she gave it to him. I said to her why are you giving him these beautiful dresses? They live in the village. She said they really need it.

My mom always says to me, "Before you were born I had two girls and than three boys and I became pregnant I said o please God give me a girl and I will name her Nimco." Allah accepted her prayer and she had me. I really love my mom and I miss her, because we live apart. She lives in Nairobi and I live in Seattle, Washington. The last time I saw her it was 2013.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

Great effort :D and thanks for telling such an amazing story :D
jai15 wrote:Hey James
Thanks again for giving an opportunity to share about the courageous,stubborn,and the kindest woman
who devotes her life for her children. She is my grand mother,the oldest woman in our family.

Before going to talk about my grand mother,we should go seventy years back. In 1930's some villages in Southern parts of India
were not developed and most of the village people were ignorant. Their ignorance made them to believe that women's birth,their education,and their rights were immoral acts. You should believe that they killed or abandoned the new born girl babies
as soon as they born. Because a girl's Father had to give lot of money,jewels and lands to groom's family when his daughter
got into married.The poor farmers didn't have that much money. So they consoled their-selves Female infanticide was better than
to keep their daughter unmarried. In addition to female infanticide,there were lot of crimes against women. Women
were allowed neither getting educated nor going outside from home.The another cruel thing was child marriage.
Even if the groom was 30 years old man,he would marry a 6 years old girl by using her poverty and the social stress.

Now I come to the point,My grandma was born at one of those villages only. Unfortunately she was saved by her aunt who
has only one son.She promised my grandma's parents to accept my grandma as her daughter in law. So They didn't kill her.
My grand ma was 9 and my grand fa was 13 When My grandfather married to her.My grandma was just 15 when my mom was born.
My grandma birthed and raised her five girl babies where it was a crime to give a birth to one girl baby.
The courageous woman bravely said "I give a birth to this baby.
I donot know whether it is a boy or girl when I carry her.so it is my duty to protect her." She proved her words.
Even though my grandfather was working she started to make bamboo boxes which was used to carry some foods. At that time It was one of
the necessary thing in grocery shops.So this boxes were easily sold at acceptable price.Making a bamboo box is a time consuming job.
A well trained person,himself had taken 6 hours to make 2 boxes day.But she made 4 boxes in a day. It was shown her Hard working and persistence

When My grand ma sent my mom to school.Most of the village people opposed her.They warned my grandma that
no girl was allowed to go to school in this village.If you disobeyed our rules no one in the village would talk with you.
But My grandma was very stubborn.She sent her all five daughters to school. She continuously worked hard until her all daughters obtained
good position in the society.

Now My grand ma's first daughter,My mother is a famous document writer. Her second daughter is a clerk.third,fourth and filth children
are teacher,engineer and principal.Every one becomes self sustained person. They are in good status.The people
who disagreed with her,now astonish at the growth of her daughters. At present she becomes very old.She in enjoying
her retired life with her daughters and grand children.We all take care of her.She is a role model to her grand daughters.
She inspires us to face the life with self confidence.
Before going to talk about my grand mother, we should go seventy years back. In the 1930's some villages in Southern parts of India
were not developed and most of the village people were ignorant. Their ignorance made them believe that women's birth,their education,and their rights were immoral acts. You should believe that they killed or abandoned the new born girl babies as soon as they born. Because a girl's Father had to give lot of money,jewels and lands to groom's family when his daughter got married.The poor farmers didn't have that much money. So they told themselves that Female infanticide was better than keeping their daughter unmarried. In addition to female infanticide,there were lots of crimes against women. Women were allowed neither getting educated nor going outside the home. Another cruel thing was child marriage. Even if the groom was a 30 year old man,he would marry a 6 year old girl by using her poverty and social pressure :?: .

Now I come to the point,My grandma was born in one of those villages. Unfortunately :?: she was saved by her aunt who
had only one son.She promised my grandma's parents to accept my grandma as her daughter in law. So They didn't kill her. My grandma was 9 and my grandfather was 13 When My grandfather married her. My grandma was just 15 when my mom was born. My grandma gave birth to and raised her five girl babies where it was a crime to give a birth to one girl baby.

The courageous woman bravely said "I gave birth to this baby. I do not know whether it is a boy or girl when I carry her.so it is my duty to protect her." She proved her words.

Even though my grandfather was working she started to make bamboo boxes which were used to carry some foods. At that time It was one of
the necessary things in grocery shops. So these boxes were easily sold at acceptable price.Making a bamboo box is a time consuming job.
A well trained person takes 6 hours to make 2 boxes a day.But she made 4 boxes in a day. It shows her Hard work and persistence

When My grand ma sent my mom to school, most of the village people opposed her. They warned my grandma that no girl was allowed to go to school in this village.If you disobeyed our rules no one in the village would talk with you. But My grandma was very stubborn.She sent all five of her daughters to school. She continuously worked hard until her all daughters obtained a good position in the society.

Now My grand ma's first daughter,My mother is a famous document writer :?: . Her second daughter is a clerk. Her third,fourth and filth children
are a teacher, an engineer and a principal. Everyone has become a successful person. They have good status.The people
who disagreed with her, arenow astonished at the growth of her daughters. At present she has become very old.She is enjoying
her retired life with her daughters and grand children.We all take care of her.She is a role model to her grand daughters.She inspires us to face the life with self confidence.

misslarios

Post by misslarios »

Hi,
This time I will describe my parents. Both of them are amazing people. I am inspired by he hard work they constantly do. My father is an old man but he loves to exercise so he doesn't age. My mother is the party soul in our house. She is so happy and she constantly finds ways to inspire me and help me believe in my self. My dad is a hardworking man. He loves to work. He constantly inspire me to work hard for the things that I wanted to achieve.
My parents are one of God's greatest blessings in my life. I would love to be like my parents.

victoria

Post by victoria »

James Trotta wrote:Please post your descriptions here. You can describe a colleague, a family member, a celebrity, or even yourself.
Austin is a boy he have blond hair and blue eyes

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

Hi :)
misslarios wrote:Hi,
This time I will describe my parents. Both of them are amazing people. I am inspired by he hard work they constantly do. My father is an old man but he loves to exercise so he doesn't age. My mother is the party soul in our house. She is so happy and she constantly finds ways to inspire me and help me believe in my self. My dad is a hardworking man. He loves to work. He constantly inspire me to work hard for the things that I wanted to achieve.
My parents are one of God's greatest blessings in my life. I would love to be like my parents.
This time I will describe my parents. Both of them are amazing people. I am inspired by the hard work they constantly do. My father is an old man but he loves to exercise so he doesn't age. My mother is the soul of the party in our house. She is so happy and she constantly finds ways to inspire me and help me believe in my self. My dad is a hardworking man. He loves to work. He constantly inspires me to work hard for the things that I want to achieve.

MEW

Post by MEW »

My husband is a great husband, father, brother and son. He is caring and hard worker. He is a row model for our two boys. He works twelve hours day, but whenever we need him, he is ready to help. When I was in a school, he helped with kids their homework and other sports activities. He taught them how to drive the cars. He calls weekly his sister and mother to check on them.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

12 hours a day :o
MEW wrote:My husband is a great husband, father, brother and son. He is caring and hard worker. He is a row model for our two boys. He works twelve hours day, but whenever we need him, he is ready to help. When I was in a school, he helped with kids their homework and other sports activities. He taught them how to drive the cars. He calls weekly his sister and mother to check on them.
My husband is a great husband, father, brother and son. He is caring and he is a hard worker. He is a role model for our two boys. He works twelve hours a day, but whenever we need him, he is ready to help. When I was in school, he helped the kids with their homework and other sports activities. He taught them how to drive. He calls his sister and mother weekly to check on them.

Ocan

Post by Ocan »

Hello everybody,

I don't want to speak my family because I don't use to talk about my feeling. The story of James, make me think of my first teacher. She should learn read.
She took her home his spare time the kids like me who had difficulty learning to read. She asked nothing and it was free. Her teaching job she did completely. Today, when I think, I was very lucky to have had such teacher. I like read and learn thanks to her.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta »

We like teachers :D
Ocan wrote:Hello everybody,

I don't want to speak my family because I don't use to talk about my feeling. The story of James, make me think of my first teacher. She should learn read.
She took her home his spare time the kids like me who had difficulty learning to read. She asked nothing and it was free. Her teaching job she did completely. Today, when I think, I was very lucky to have had such teacher. I like read and learn thanks to her.
She took the kids like me who had difficulty learning to read to her home in her spare time. She asked nothing and it was free. She did her teaching job completely. Today, when I think, I was very lucky to have had such a teacher. I like reading and learning thanks to her

Khanhquynh

Post by Khanhquynh »

I love my mom so much. Althought when I near her I never talked these that. My mother is very gentle in personality even conversation with someone. I impress plain character because when she was young, she has endured the most difficult to take care of family and think of solve these problem in the life. My mother always happy and pround of us anyhow. But sometimes, I made my mother so sad because childish character in myself. Afterwards, I don't said: "Sorry, I'm wrong" but my mother still worried every time I have to go away. My mother rarely spend time to go out with her friend so I don't agree. I want my mother to love herself more as we love her.