Error correction

Another very broad topic but a good place for discussions on units 9, 10, and 11 of Authentic English readings for Advanced Students. Please note that most grammar and vocabulary questions do NOT belong here. Check out the other boards for those kinds of questions.
James Trotta
Site Admin

Error correction

Post by James Trotta » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 am

There are several studies showing that error correction helps language learners produce more accurate language, at least in the short term. The type of error correction and the context in which it is used plays a big role in how it is received by students but I don't see much justification for holding onto the old "well we don't need error correction for learning L1 so it's not important for L2 either" argument. Any thoughts on error correction and whether it's useful for learning a second language?

201021658 kim hye won

Re: Error correction

Post by 201021658 kim hye won » Thu May 12, 2011 4:13 pm

As a student who learns English, I think we do need error correction. It might have chilling effect to students. But If I say something and nobody corrects it, then how can I know that the conversation is going well or not? How can I know that the person that I have a conversation with fully understand what I said or not? Also, without error correction, I think there is no way that I can know the subtle differences between similar sentences. In my opinion, the reason that people learn second language is to conversate with foreigners. So to conversate with others better I think we need error correction.

jungjinwon

Post by jungjinwon » Fri May 13, 2011 8:31 am

I support your opinion wholeheartedly. people are incompletion .

so pursuit of perfection is impossible.What do you say?

I think we are learning what we mistakes.

therefore Error correction is very useful to learn language.

and any part is effective. To success any thing, we should think this proverb "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. "

(apple) ohseunghyun

Post by (apple) ohseunghyun » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:23 am

This is a very interesting topic.
I've been thinking about the process of learning a foreign language.
There are thousands of books and opinions about this process, and I must confess that I have read only a few.
But, my idea is this: we learn a new language by being embarrassed in a group.

Considering language acquisition of children, they are exposed to their parents's language at first.
Out of trying to be a part of the group(family), they mimic the sound pitch, the sentence structures, and the often-used vocabularies of their parents. Then, they encounter a new group, their friends at school. They talk to each others with a language they learn in the former group(family), and find the differences among them. Some time to time, one come across a new vocabulary during conversation with pears. If he/she finds the language they are using is different from the language used in a dominant group, they slightly change a bit and try to blend in the group. So far, they have experienced two embarrassing moment; one in a family, another in a pear group.

This is not much different when it comes to learning a new language as a grown-up adult.
Living in a different country for an adult is as same as encountering a new group for a child. They both feel embarrassed from their lack of language skill and difference between others. So, by trying to synchronize with a dominant group (in learning a foreign language, dominant group is a new community in a foreign country), they memorize quickly as possible different sound pitches, sentences and structures, and vocabularies.

This might support the same idea as you mentioned above in your post, but i hope it will strengthen your argument.
And, I hope I understand more in the future about the process of learning a foreign language.

p.s. There are several people who master more than 7-8 languages, and I hope they don't have biological difference between normal people like us. haha (its poor joke)

Anyways, thanks for the interesting topic.