Do you think psychological knowledge helps conversation?

If you want to get some interview advice, come on in. Also the place for discussing units 6 & 12 of Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students. And if you need advice for a different kind of conversation that doesn't fit into one of the other categories, ask here. Examples include but are not limited to how to fire someone, how to tell someone their zipper is down, etc.
(Starbucks)Seungjae Lee

Do you think psychological knowledge helps conversation?

Post by (Starbucks)Seungjae Lee » Sun May 20, 2012 3:43 am

Psychological knowledges help you know how the people think or their state of mind.
For example, leaning knees toward the door while conversation means he or she is boring and wants to stop the conversation. And when someone's eyes are up-left, he or she is like to being lying. For the right brain concerns human's imagination. These knowledges seems very useful but I think these might be obstacles on conversation. What if you know someone talking to you is lying?
What if you know the person wants to stop talking to you? Tell me your opinion.

(Aplus)kimyongsun

Re: Do you think psychological knowledge helps conversation?

Post by (Aplus)kimyongsun » Mon May 21, 2012 2:21 pm

In my opinion, psychological knowledge is very useful when having a conversation or delivering a speech, because you can properly stop talking. Sometimes, in order to deliver your message, it might be irritating, because not only the listener but also the speaker, you, will also lose the interest in making a conversation. However, if the listener doesn't pay attention to your talking and keep showing that he or she is not interested in your speech, it is more efficient to stop talking by recognizing the psychological knowledge. Also, keep talking to one who lose his or her interest in you speech is kind of wasting time, because that listener will never remember what you talked about later. Therefore, the psychological knowledge is very valuable when having a conversation with the others.

(starbucks)Han Hye Kyung

Post by (starbucks)Han Hye Kyung » Tue May 29, 2012 3:42 pm

There are obviously many books written about psychological state related to real action at conversation. However, I don't believe those are not all the fact because even though people have their own habits while having a talk, they are all different between people. Defining each action as some psychological seems a bit absurd to me. Looking upward may mean lying to someone but thinking to others. But, I think if I observe one person for a very long time in conversation, I might define his or her actions as certain psychological states. I believe that each person might have certain habits but they are all different from person to person.

[sixzero7]KimWonJu

Post by [sixzero7]KimWonJu » Wed May 30, 2012 5:07 pm

This situation can happen anytime, and it is queit useful. However it is really dangerous to apply those gestures to each person.
As people have their own characteristics and habits, we must be careful to deal with psychological knowledge in daily conversation.
We can get other's feeling or thinking without psychological knowledge, because all people have their experience from everyday conversation.

(101)seojiyun

Post by (101)seojiyun » Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 am

It could be useful in some cases, because you can guess the other person's state of mind roughly, even if it's not a certain thing. However, it would be dangerous to leap at a conclusion just by seeing some gestures. A person sitting in front of you is the only person who knows his(or her)own emotion. Hasty conclusion can lead to misunderstanding each other. People should just refer this psychological knowledge.

(lab102)yongmikim

Post by (lab102)yongmikim » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:57 am

I also read some psychological books and was very interested to know some habits that people do in specific situations.
However, I don't think people can apply all those rules to everyone.
And I think it will be hard to watch all those gestures and analize what all that means.
Wouldn't it be too difficult? :)

choyongbin

Post by choyongbin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:37 am

From experience i use this knowledge a lot it actually became a habit of mine. However, i have to admit my feelings do get a little hurt when i see the small gesture they make. It has its good and bad points. For example, you know when the conversation is dying so it alerts you to hurry and end the conversation.

Return to “Interviews & other specific conversation types”