Does it really work?

If you want to get some interview advice, come on in. Also the place for discussing units 6 & 12 of Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students. And if you need advice for a different kind of conversation that doesn't fit into one of the other categories, ask here. Examples include but are not limited to how to fire someone, how to tell someone their zipper is down, etc.
(101) jangkyungjin

Does it really work?

Post by (101) jangkyungjin » Tue May 22, 2012 1:51 am

There are many books talking about communication skill.
And among these books have a same advice, but also have a diffrent advice.
In addition, when i read those books, i think "i already know that!, it is natural thing."
So i wonder about such a advice is really work on realistic
What about your think?

(lab102)jounghwanpark

Re: Does it really work?

Post by (lab102)jounghwanpark » Tue May 22, 2012 2:29 am

I also think those books contain good theories on how to become an excellent communicator. However, you should realize that they are "theories" and to actually become a good communicator, or good in other things for that matter, you need "practical" experience. By practical experience I mean using those theories that you've learnt from books and trying it out when talking to people or making presentations.

apple-anyumi

Post by apple-anyumi » Tue May 22, 2012 7:37 am

It works only when we actually do it.
I totally agree that we often think that the words in those kinds of books is too natural and too obviously correct to be written and published as a book.
But the point is that we are actually not doing many of those advices. They are so obviously correct that tend to be overlooked.
We may know it but not do it. That's the problem, I guess.

(101)Sol a Kim

Post by (101)Sol a Kim » Tue May 22, 2012 11:28 am

I think in some cases, it really works but it do not work perfectly in our everyday life. Because though you stuided and memorized all the tips that are written on the book, if you are nervous and you can't say anything, it is useless. And all the situations don't flow as you thought. So I think you have to cope with the conversation each time depending on the situation. I think experience is best teacher and adviser in this case.

(sixzero7)Leekwanhee

Post by (sixzero7)Leekwanhee » Tue May 22, 2012 11:39 am

I think those books about communication skill have some effect.
When I read those books, I can refresh myself with the advice.
And I can recollect some communication skills that I forgot.
So reading books about communication skill is effective way to improve communication skill.

(starbucks)Tae-Hun, Gu

Post by (starbucks)Tae-Hun, Gu » Tue May 22, 2012 1:36 pm

I doubt it. They're their ideas which work for them, not you. Books should not be more than references. Try to find your own way of talking and acting.

(starbucks)Hong ji eun

Post by (starbucks)Hong ji eun » Tue May 22, 2012 3:33 pm

well, of coures the adivese written in the expertise book will be effective in our commuication. but the main point is, it's not easy to adapt in our realistic communication. so, we need to practice hard to create effective speech.

(starbucks)joungyoonchoi

Post by (starbucks)joungyoonchoi » Tue May 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Books should be no more than a trigger to find and develop your own personal communication skills! They serve as guidelines - and no more. The authors of those book try their best to share tips about conversation, but in a very generalized way. Those tips can be your starters, but they shouldn't be set hard as rules. Imagine we all had similar styles of communicating. How boring would our lives be?

(Aplus)kimyongsun

Post by (Aplus)kimyongsun » Wed May 23, 2012 2:37 pm

I think that some advice do help people to communicate effectively, but when you are overly focusing on those advice, you might lose the balance of your message. You might forget what you are going to tell due to those advice. Therefore, you should practice those skills in real life and classify what kind of skills are helpful for your effective communication. Through practicing the skills that are really appropriate for your communication, you can deliver your message more effectively in actual situation.

(101)sohnjinjoo

Post by (101)sohnjinjoo » Thu May 24, 2012 4:52 am

I think it is no use if you don't move it to action.
A theory, plan without act is merely a daydream, no matter how great it is.
I read books to improve my presentation skill and I had theory in my head
but my skill didn't get any better.
However I started taking presentation class this semester
and although I am not a genius of presentation but I found myself getting MUCH better.

(101)Leeyerang

Post by (101)Leeyerang » Thu May 24, 2012 6:55 am

I also agree with you.I think tha those kinds of books are useless since many people still know the skills but they can't do it in their behaviors. I think it won't help reading those kinds of books however, I think that it is an important thing to keep on practicing those skills that you once learned.

(101)bibeksharma

Post by (101)bibeksharma » Mon May 28, 2012 3:50 am

books can help you understand what an effective communicator is but in order to be one you need practice and experience. Books shows you the path and to walk on that is your decision.

(101) lee dae young

Post by (101) lee dae young » Mon May 28, 2012 8:59 am

I suppose that most of what the books say are something that we already know actually, too.

But, if a little bit of information can gives you a new perspective or idea, I think it will be worth reading.

(apple) ohseunghyun

Post by (apple) ohseunghyun » Mon May 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Considering my small experiment with the book called "How to Win Friends & Influence Others," I would say it actually worked.

I was doing my internship last year and it was actually first time that i got along with businessmen. I would be safe to say that i was struggling to find my niche on my team in my organization, so I tried to find some resource to get some tips. Reading a book is commonly recommened behavior for tips, so I decided to read the bible of all those social-relation books on a book store. On the ananlogue of that book, the author recommends readers to read that book more than three times until all the sentences and examples in the book finally come to the readers. So actually I did that. I read it three times. After that, I treid to adopt all those sentences and examples in my social relationship with other co-workers and bosses. At first, it seemed not really work. However, when the time passed, I realized that almost every people in my organization knew me and i found myself as a social butterfly. I could save much money because other co-workers bought my lunch many times. (I was an intern, so they knew very well that my paying was neither really decent nor enough for the commute & occational drinks)

So my answer is, "yes, it will definitely help you out." If you just find the classic of all those kind of books and read it many times, you will find that you are progressed for your socail life.

101 Lee Yun Hee

Post by 101 Lee Yun Hee » Mon May 28, 2012 4:55 pm

I think many of those advices in the book are not really useful,
because when we read them and tried to apply in real life, most of them were awkward
or so 'book-oriented' . Therefore, it was not suitable for me to use those tips in real world.
Also, there are so many things that we already know.
So to choose and decide what to accept by oneself is the key to get appropriate information from books.

Return to “Interviews & other specific conversation types”