Any habitual gestures when nervous?

If you want to get some interview advice, come on in. Also the place for discussing units 6 & 12 of Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students. And if you need advice for a different kind of conversation that doesn't fit into one of the other categories, ask here. Examples include but are not limited to how to fire someone, how to tell someone their zipper is down, etc.
(starbucks)Han Hye Kyung

Re: Any habitual gestures when nervous?

Post by (starbucks)Han Hye Kyung »

I have habitual gestures of grabbing my hands together tightly when I am nervous. I try to get away with my nervous feeling by putting strength on something else like that. But sometimes this makes me hurt if I get too nervous and grab my hand to strongly. But this helps me when I become blank and have to think hard becuase this gesture somehow makes me to focus. Although it would be better to get rid of nervousness by talking, this would be possible to well-trained speakers. Since I'm not one of those, I found other way to get rid of nervousness, grabbing hands together.
(A plus) Lee hansol

Post by (A plus) Lee hansol »

I heard from many friends that I usually lower my head and avoid eye contact when I am nervous.
I didn't realize until they told me, but I became know that it is true.
I also thought it is not so good habit, so I tried to not do it as you.
But it was very difficult and I failed to change the habit, either.
I also know that it would be seem bad for others, but I think habit couldn't be changed easily.
choyongbin

Post by choyongbin »

I get butterflies in my stomach and tend to talk so fast that others ask me to repeat it.
(102)TaeHyeon Lee

Post by (102)TaeHyeon Lee »

When I was nervous, I touched my hair with my hands.
Changing my habitual nervous gestures, I clenched my fists when I spoke.

Return to “Interviews & other specific conversation types”