Do you think the eye contact is important in conversations?

If you want to get some interview advice, come on in. Also the place for discussing units 6 & 12 of Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students. And if you need advice for a different kind of conversation that doesn't fit into one of the other categories, ask here. Examples include but are not limited to how to fire someone, how to tell someone their zipper is down, etc.
(sixzero7)choiminji

Do you think the eye contact is important in conversations?

Post by (sixzero7)choiminji »

When I have a conversation with other people, I usually try to have eye contact.
However, some people feel some pressure to the eye contact.
It is the eye contact that show the recognizing each other and communicating.
There is research result that usually happy people are good at eye contact during the conversation.
Avoiding contact makes conversation go badly.
Do you also think the eye contact is important in the conversation?
(starbucks)Tae-Hun, Gu

Re: Do you think the eye contact is important in conversatio

Post by (starbucks)Tae-Hun, Gu »

I definitely do. Actually, I feel kind of disrespectfulness when someone avoid my eye contact. By looking in each other's eyes, I feel we're really having a sincere conversation. Some old people in Korea say looking directly in the eyes is somewhat rude, but I think they're wrong. I strongly believe that eyes do talk a lot as well during communication. So please do not hestitate to look in the eyeball of someone that you're speaking to.
(sixzero7)suhbokyung

Post by (sixzero7)suhbokyung »

yes, in conversation, eye contact is important part. i also keep i contact when talking with others. it shows you concentrate to others say. but, sometimes eye contact gives a burden to teller. so eye contact is important but i think proper eye contact will be good.
(sixzero7)kimseonsuk

Post by (sixzero7)kimseonsuk »

Yes, I think making an eye contact is very important.
Eye contact is the basic and simple etiquette in conversation.
During the conversation, if the listener doesn't make an eye contack the speaker think he/she is ignored and offensive and think the listener doesn't want to continue
the conversation with him/her.
(101)Sol a Kim

Post by (101)Sol a Kim »

Of course, I think the eye contact is important in conversations. Although Korean custom usually don't permit it in such circumstances that teacher or parents teach the children, I think in that case, it is also necessary. Because I believe that when I see the people's eye, I can recognize if the person is telling a lie or telling a truth. So in my opinion, by staring the children's eye, the teacher or parents can know the children's real mind.
Uncertain and anxious person shows shaking eyes, and confident and sincere person shows constant eyes. It is same when we do conversation each other. And by doing some eye contacts we can read the people's mind and can exchange our thoughts. And that's the reason why I think the eye contact is important in conversations.
(Aplus)kimyongsun

Post by (Aplus)kimyongsun »

I also think that eye contact is the most important communication skill, because it shows that you are participating in the conversation and you look confident in what you are talking about. Avoiding eye contact might seem that I am lack of confidence.When I was in high school, I was not good at eye contact. However, when I was preparing for the college entrance interview, I noticed that eye contact is very important in order to show I am confident. Now, I am good at eye contact and other people think that I am confident and have interest in the conversation. Therefore, I believe that eye contact is a very valuable skill in the conversation.
(101)sohnjinjoo

Post by (101)sohnjinjoo »

When I watch people doing presentation and if people just look at slides and read.
It was boring and It was hard for me to have interests on presentation.
Speaker can't have eye contact with every one of the people in the room
but by doing with most of people, it will give trust or sort of creditability to the audience.
Because people will feel that they are interacting with speaker
and also speaker can check whether the audience is really listening or feeling bored of it.
(101)Leeyerang

Post by (101)Leeyerang »

I agree with your statement. I think that eyecontact is an important element in having a conversation. Eye contact makes you know that the other person is concentrating on you and that the person is following what you are saying. If the person does not see your eyes when you speak, I think that it would be a bit anoying and I might be a little bit upset. However, too much eye contacting might make the listener a bit uncomfortable.
(starbucks)leehyeonsoo

Post by (starbucks)leehyeonsoo »

I think eye contact is very important in conversations, though I am having a hard time doing that.

I cannot easily look through other person's eyes because I am quite a shy person.
But I need to work on that problem and try to look the person's eyes
because I think it really helps the listener to believe me.
I think I need to be a little more confident in myself.
(starbucks)Han Sun Joo

Post by (starbucks)Han Sun Joo »

I think that eye contact don't means always good behavior. In korea, when people talk each other, the younger person can't see the eyes of the older person. If the younger person see the eyes of the older person directly, the older person think that it is very rude behavior. But in my opinion, when we talk to someone, we need to see her or his eyes. At this moment, it means I hear your saying and interested in your opinion. so except the situation like first example which I comments, eye contact is importatn factor in conversation.
(Starbucks)Cho Yoon Jeong

Post by (Starbucks)Cho Yoon Jeong »

I always try to exchange eye contacts with someone I am talking to or someone I am listening to because I heard that eye contact is one of the most basic and root manner in communicating with someone. Also, I think eye contacts expand reliance and good impression. For example, I feel much more interest and reliance toward people who talks to me while exchanging eye contacts rather than people who keeps avoiding my eyes.
(Starbucks)Seungjae Lee

Post by (Starbucks)Seungjae Lee »

Eye-contacting is very important in conversation because it implies many things.
First, eye-contacting means "I'm all ears". By staring other's eyes you can imply that you are concentrating on the conversation.
Second, you can look sincere in conversation. Because when someone lies his eyes shakes, staring firmly someone make he or she think you are sincere person.
And also people feels many things by eyes so it is very important to eye contact in conversations.
(starbucks)Han Hye Kyung

Post by (starbucks)Han Hye Kyung »

I definitely think that eye contact is important in many ways. First of all, making an eye contact makes each conversation participater to focus on talking more. If each person is looking elswhere rather than their conversation partners, the conversation would be very non-efficient. Moreover, making an eye contact is a way to assure other people are understanding the content of conversation. By watching into each others' eye, they can know if they are following the speaker's intention.
(101)seojiyun

Post by (101)seojiyun »

Yeah, I think eye-contact is the one of the most important aspects during the conversation. First, it gives feeling that the other side person concentrates him/herself to conversation. And through eye-contact, one can recognize the other side's emotion, reaction, etc. That's the basic thing of the mutual understanding, I think. And this is the reason why sometimes people want to have face to face conversation, rather to chat through mobile phone or internet.
choyongbin

Post by choyongbin »

Personally, i think eye contact is very important because it shows the other person that you are sincerely listening. However, its hard for me to make eye contact with others especially men that i am interested in, its just so awkward to keep looking at their eyes while we talk. I still have this problem and am trying my best to not look away.

Return to “Interviews & other specific conversation types”