Do you think the eye contact is important in conversations?

If you want to get some interview advice, come on in. Also the place for discussing units 6 & 12 of Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students. And if you need advice for a different kind of conversation that doesn't fit into one of the other categories, ask here. Examples include but are not limited to how to fire someone, how to tell someone their zipper is down, etc.
(LOST) Jihan_Song

Re: Do you think the eye contact is important in conversatio

Post by (LOST) Jihan_Song » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:26 am

In short, it is the most significant thing for the conversation.

Eyes can send some messages that cannot be passed by words.

Not only with words but with body languages can the conversation be perfectly performed.

I never fail to miss the eye contact when it comes to communication between people, for I consider it important.

(sixzero7)leedaul

Post by (sixzero7)leedaul » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:03 pm

I somehow feel uncomfortable when I am forced to make eye contact. I think too much of it will backfire and might cause distrust.
Definitely there are some people who scare me by looking into my eyes too much. Of course avoiding eye contact is bad too, but I think it shouldn't be so strong.

(Aplus)LeeMinHyung

Post by (Aplus)LeeMinHyung » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:26 pm

The eye contact is really important for both the listener and speaker. Speakers may feel relieved to find that the listeners are trying to make eye contacts because it is a sign of concentration. Conversely, listeners do also think the speaker is really eager to talk to them when they are talking eye to eye.
What if we talk without eye contacts? Maybe our conversations will go astray. That's because we tend to be distracted when we do not see one specific thing; in this case, eyes of the speakers or listeners. And there's one more vital reason. Those who do not contact eyes during conversation look less confident than those who do.

(sixzero7)Leekwanhee

Post by (sixzero7)Leekwanhee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:44 am

I am not good at having eye contact with others.
But I think the eye contact is important in conversation.
Sometimes eyes are effective on expressing my opinion.
And eye contact means that I am focused on what you are talking about.
In colusion, I think the eye contact is a manner in conversation.

woogayeon(sixzero7)

Post by woogayeon(sixzero7) » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:58 am

Yes I think the eye contact in conversation is important . Because I think it can give the feeling of "belief" to each other. When person lie, their eyes are little trembling. Like this, the eyes tell us the truth .

(apple)Nam Jeonggeun

Post by (apple)Nam Jeonggeun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Absolutely.

Eye contact is a effective form of nonverbal communication. Because by eye contacting each other, they can exchange some social and emotional information. Also, people can give the sign that they are concentrating on the conversation to their counterpart by eye contacting. To put it another way, however, if you don't fix your eyes to those of the other, you may give some negative impressions. For example, your intention can be interpreted as being "shifty-eyed".

Plus, eye contact is an important element in flirting, which can serve to establish and gauge the other's interest.

(apple)parkminji

Post by (apple)parkminji » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:05 pm

I think the eye contact is confused culture between people.
The eye contact has cultural different.
In western, people gives importance about the eye contact because they give high grade to condidence and pride.
On the other hand, most of Asians feel the eye contact is difficult.
Except friendship, most of Asians feel embarassed when younger people make the eye contact to older people because they have conception of courtesy.
So the eye contact is not an common things.
Personally, I don't think the eye contact is important because when others watch my eyes during conversation, I am nervous.
I much prefer the people who watch the middle of eyes and nose which is the kind of official method in korea.

(apple)Joohoyoung

Post by (apple)Joohoyoung » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 am

I was a timid student who always avoided other people's face, especially eye.
However, I thought that it is hard to communicate with other people with this attitude.
So I tried hard not to avoid the eyes, and now I look on other people's eyes well.
Of course I can communicate with others better.

(102)TaeHyeon Lee

Post by (102)TaeHyeon Lee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:36 pm

I think eye contact means listener is interested in my speech and concentrates on listening my words.
So, in my opinion, Eye Contact is effective in communication and helps listener and speaker improve relations.

winner

Re: Do you think the eye contact is important in conversations?

Post by winner » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:24 am

Hi, i am in this forum, and i think it is very helpfull for us who are not english language native.
.../
.../

Return to “Interviews & other specific conversation types”