When saying something, Is gesture really effective ?

If you want to get some interview advice, come on in. Also the place for discussing units 6 & 12 of Authentic English Readings for Advanced Students. And if you need advice for a different kind of conversation that doesn't fit into one of the other categories, ask here. Examples include but are not limited to how to fire someone, how to tell someone their zipper is down, etc.
(Starbucks)Young Il Seo

When saying something, Is gesture really effective ?

Post by (Starbucks)Young Il Seo » Tue May 22, 2012 3:13 pm

When people say something, they often say with gesture to convey their intention better.
For example, in other class, I recently watched the speech of Martin Luther King Jr. His speech is so passionate and he said with so many gestures. I think that the gestures helped to show his sincereness. Not only in formal speech, we can also find gestures in informal conversation between friends or something like that. However, some people often say that gesture is disturbing to focus on talk.

What is your opinion to gesture when saying something ? :shock:

(starbucks)Hong ji eun

Re: When saying something, Is gesture really effective ?

Post by (starbucks)Hong ji eun » Tue May 22, 2012 3:25 pm

well, the use of gesture is one of the effective ways to show your opinion i think. but too much use of gesture is not a good idea. becuuse as you said, it can be distribute others attention about your speech. so i think that moderate gesture is good ideal in your speech

(starbucks)joungyoonchoi

Post by (starbucks)joungyoonchoi » Tue May 22, 2012 3:51 pm

I think using gestures is effective to the extent of not going overboard. It helps emphasize certain points that the speaker is trying to get across, and it also help with the problem of 'where do i keep my hands while speaking'. Gestures, personally, also add animation to one's speech. Imagine someone making a speech standing straight with their arms by their side, and that the speaker is speaking in a language you're not that ccomfortable with. You wouldnt know what the important points he/she is trying to say.

(sixzero7)jihyun park

Post by (sixzero7)jihyun park » Tue May 22, 2012 4:35 pm

I agree your opinion that gesture is effective. By using gesture, meaning of the message would be more emphasized than it isn't
Also, when convey a message, If you use a gesture, the message will be conveyed dynamically. And in case that hard to say, gesture helps to communicate easily.

starbucks_KyungAOh

Post by starbucks_KyungAOh » Tue May 22, 2012 8:14 pm

I also think using gestures conveys our intention better. For example, if I nod my head while my friend talks, it will show that I am listening to her more clearly than I just say yes. Besides, saying with gestures are often used for teaching vocabulary to kids. When I teach a certain kind of word describing an action such as stroke one’s hair to kids, showing the action with gestures would be much easier and far more effective than just explaining the meaning of the vocabulary in words.

(apple)Parkwonho

Post by (apple)Parkwonho » Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 am

I think meaningless gesture interrupted me understanding.
Sometimes, There are many people who did meaningless gesture.
emphasis gesture and revealing emotion like face expression is good gesture, but meaningless waving hands is useless.

(Aplus)LeeMinHyung

Post by (Aplus)LeeMinHyung » Wed May 23, 2012 5:36 am

If we are not in a serious and solemn situation, i think gestures help us become much more effective speaker. Everytime I have to talk in front of the audiences, I try to use as many gestures as possible. I do not care for the distraction that gestures might bring because it is better to attract audiences than let them be bored.(I think speeches without gestures are really uneffective and dull.) Especially when we are chatting with our friends, using body languages is really helpful to make the conversation more fluent and funny.

And many politicians, entertainers, and celebrities are studying gestures for it is directly related to their popularity in case it is properly used. If it's not effective, why do they bother to do this?

(101)Sol a Kim

Post by (101)Sol a Kim » Wed May 23, 2012 7:22 am

I think proper gesture is effective when we say something. Because using too much gestures can distrub our concentration. But if you use it suitable gesture at the appropriate time, it can awake people's interest and cause the synergy effect. So, gesture is really effective only you use it properly.

(101)sohnjinjoo

Post by (101)sohnjinjoo » Thu May 24, 2012 4:31 am

According to presentation class I am taking this semester,
I've seen few video clips of great speeches by celebrities.
And most of them did gestures when they were having a speech.

I think gesture is not necessary element of speech
but it is one of the great ways to emphasize something.
Speakers in the video did gestures when they really needed to do it.
They didn't do it all the time. If there is way too much of it, it will distract people.

(apple) jung hyun chae

Post by (apple) jung hyun chae » Sun May 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I think there was a similar question of yours, asking effectiveness of gestures when we speak. So I searched an article about it.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/18/body- ... ould-know/
This article tells about importance of body language and some examples of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5316916.stm
This one is more interesting in that it says that body language of politicians can show their true feelings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5316916.stm
This video clip shows some celebrities' body language, and interpretation of them by the experts.

If you're strongly interested in these things, maybe those can gratify your curiosity.

(Aplus)kimyongsun

Post by (Aplus)kimyongsun » Sun May 27, 2012 4:21 pm

I also think that gesture is really effective to deliver our messages. In my case, I often use hand gesture while communicating. I found out that the listeners can focus heavily on my message by the hand gestures. However, I think that the other gestures like touching hair and shaking legs while talking is not helpful when it comes to the communication. Therefore, despite the light talking, you should practice the effective gestures.

(101)bibeksharma

Post by (101)bibeksharma » Mon May 28, 2012 2:01 am

gesture is important in a way because it shows your level of energy and communicating capacity to other people. Without body language one often looks clueless . Gesture itself explains a lot on the things that a person is trying to say.
so, i guess gesture is really effective.

(101)soo0710

Post by (101)soo0710 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:03 pm

I personally think that gestures play an important role when we talk to our friends or family. Like for instance, when we cant come with a word, we intend to twitch our hands or snap our fingers to try to come up with the word we were wanting to say. It actually helps though. It may be disturbing to some people, but once you are used to it, it is actually something normal among friends. I personally think when communicating with some one who doesn't speak your language, the best way to communicate with them is by using body language and gestures.
By using gestures, I actually feel closer to the person than usual because that means that they are actually comfortable being around you.

(sixzero7)Leekwanhee

Post by (sixzero7)Leekwanhee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:09 am

I think gestures are effective on saying something.
Gestures more effectly express what we want to say.
Not all words can describe what we want to say. They nees some help.
And I think gestures are not that much disturbing when we say something.

(apple)Joohoyoung

Post by (apple)Joohoyoung » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:01 am

No gesture during speech...
It can be seen as a robot :lol:.
When it comes to talking about serious things such as setting a price of the house, or talking about girl friend problem,
too much gesture can be disturbed.
However, most of the situation people get through need gesture to make atmosphere better.
Because we are not robots.

Return to “Interviews & other specific conversation types”