online conversation during class

Talk about your experiences in school and/or the education system in your country.
elevenoclock_kyungAOh

online conversation during class

Post by elevenoclock_kyungAOh » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:47 pm

According to the article on NY Times, “Speaking up in class, Silently, Using the Tools of Social Media”, Twitter and some other backchannels are being used by about 2 percent of teachers and professors in America and nearly 50% of them think that this technology would positively affect students’ learning. I am also in favour of using the online conversation during the class. I believe the social media interaction will increase students’ participation because they can feel comfortable to speak up when they type something down instead of having class discussion.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Re: online conversation during class

Post by James Trotta » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:18 pm

I know some professors use social media to get their students interacting with people from different cultures. I see the advantages of Facebook and message boards like this one but I don't get Twitter.

boxcar

Re: online conversation during class

Post by boxcar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Twitter is handy because the information shared there is in micro chunks. I don;t know if it's the times we live in but personally my brain processes these micro chunks of information much easier than reading a full novel. Short attention span maybe? lol