hair style regulation of korea student

Talk about your experiences in school and/or the education system in your country.
Inha(25)JeongNaRi

Post by Inha(25)JeongNaRi » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:52 pm

It is not exist any more but there was a rule to control the length of student's hair in most of middle and high school.

Very short hair cut like monk for boy's, and bobbed hair for girl's. Students were not supposed to let hair longer than that, and there was a punishment if they are not follow the rules.

The reason of this regulation is that long hair disturbs for study and neat hair style is adquite for student. I think this is ridiculous idea.

There is no connection between hair lengh and study, even though it is effect on study, it is unethical to repress student opinion.

In my case, that regulation was not disappeared untill I graduate highschool. I'm glad that middle and high school student can have their own free style now.

th0614

Regulation on hair style

Post by th0614 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:21 am

Well, you might be surprise to hear this, but not all of the students now have the freedom of choosing their own hair style. Many schools that I know still have the regulation. But I think this regulation has to exist. It is true that all of us need to have the freedom of choosing our own hair style, but when I think about it, I think they need to have some limit! As you know it is very difficult to control students from all the bad environment. And if a student gets a make-up and dresses up, and a fake ID (which exists everywhere), we cannot differentiate between student and adults. I think having a hair style like a student is very effective in this situation. They are curious about everything and they can't control themselves. There needs to be some regulation for them to control themselves and avoid certain places and things. I think this regulation has to exist.

Derek

Post by Derek » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:17 am

I somewhat agree that we should respect student’s own style. The most of middle and high school do not have hair style regulation. But I think hair style regulation is necessary for high school students because it will help them to concentrate study. An adolescent student pays much careful attention to their appearance. So he spends much time in a day on hair style instead of study. A girl at puberty wants to get unique hair style and spends money on dying hair or permanent. When I was high school student, I also hate the regulation. But short hair makes me spend a little time and pay more attention to study. Thus, hair style regulation is beneficial to student’s study.

hufs Meg

Hair regulation

Post by hufs Meg » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:27 am

I think hair regulation is necessary because teenagers are really sensitive of their appearance, so they can not pay attention on their study. When I was a middle and high school student, I hate that regulation because I thought long hair looks much better. When I went student teaching at high school, however, I realized why teachers had restricted student's hair. There is no hair regulation any more, so students can let their hair grow long. Teachers just demend to bind students hair, students never do that. They loosen their hair and keep seeing thier face and hair in the looking glass. Moreover, they doze over
sneaking behind their long hair during the class. Therefore, I think hair regulation is necessary for themselves.

Ashley

Post by Ashley » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:02 am

According to my own experience, hair style regulation in school is not an effective way to control students.
I graduated very strict middle school. At the front gate, teachers and head students were waiting with scissors to cut students’ hair. Although my school tried to control every student checking their appearance, their control couldn’t make the students study. Because their hair became so short that students couldn’t think anything else except their hair.

joejung323

Post by joejung323 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:14 am

I strongly disagree with the hair style regulation in schools.
Some people might say that giving them the freedom from restriction and regulation would harm them in many ways. Howewer, I think they have the rights to do what they want with themselves (their style). If you think about it, this is a democratic country and when the school wants to make a regulation, the school should ask for the students' opinions but Korean schools do not think of the students but only in their school reputation. I think all these small irritating regulations stress the students more, giving them less space for them to find their talent. Comparing Korean students to students overseas, they are hard workers and very studious but less creative and very introversive. I think this has got to do with all the unnecessary regulations of schools in Korea. To conclude, style is not something to be restricted or regulated. It’s one’s personality.

persiameneses

Re: hair style regulation of korea student

Post by persiameneses » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:37 am

There's really nothing wrong with having your own hair style, but it should be with limitation. If you are in school, i think its just appropriate to have discipline in everything you do, because this will be your training ground before you face the world after you graduated. I had never saw a working person (except for those super stars etc.) that has long hair, they always have a clean-cut style which gives them a lot more dignified aura. This is just my opinion and I don't intend to offend you or anyone. :)

ashleyraew12

Re: school stuff

Post by ashleyraew12 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:50 pm

well I live in Alabama. My school has hair regulations too. not as bad as the people in Korea. At my school the only thing they ask of us, is that we have natural hair colors. nothing exotic. like pink, blue, and green (etc.) I dont have a problem with this, but what I dont understand is that we can not wear jeans that have holes above the knee, yet we can wear shorts that come to our middle finger when we put our arms down beside us.. im positive that no one out there has long arms with fingers that come down to your knee. so we show more skin when we wear our shorts, but we cant have holes above the knee?? So I believe we should have the same "middle finger" policy for the holes in jeans.. it only makes sense....am I right ??

James Trotta
Site Admin

Re: school stuff

Post by James Trotta » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Is that a public school with all those rules? In my school we had no rules but if a teacher found your shirt to be offensive they would make you turn it inside out or give you detention. If someone was walking around with their tshirt inside out you knew they were cool and had pissed off a teacher with some vulgar shirt.
ashleyraew12 wrote:well I live in Alabama. My school has hair regulations too. not as bad as the people in Korea. At my school the only thing they ask of us, is that we have natural hair colors. nothing exotic. like pink, blue, and green (etc.) I dont have a problem with this, but what I dont understand is that we can not wear jeans that have holes above the knee, yet we can wear shorts that come to our middle finger when we put our arms down beside us.. im positive that no one out there has long arms with fingers that come down to your knee. so we show more skin when we wear our shorts, but we cant have holes above the knee?? So I believe we should have the same "middle finger" policy for the holes in jeans.. it only makes sense....am I right ??

Daeun Lee

Post by Daeun Lee » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:59 am

I think some kind of regulation on students' hair style is neccessary for them. Of course, they have rights to be free in their appearance. However, too much expectant attitude can make the situation worse. I think school uniform and neat hair is the symbol of students. With those, we can distinguish middle and high school students from university students.

What's more, some degree of regulation can give more chance to change up at the first time of their university. High school students can expect new life in their college, which is totally different to back in their highschool lives. It's kind of privilege to freshmen.

Today many accidents are occur in middle and high schools. Teachers say that they are losing control over their students. And if the students' hair and clothes become free, controlling them will be more difficult.

(103)JunhoLee

Post by (103)JunhoLee » Fri May 31, 2013 5:47 am

When I was in high school, the short hair regulation use to exist until I was a junior but at the start of junior year, the regulation no longer existed. Surprisingly, many students continued to have short hair. Probably becuase short hair is amazingly convenient. I think it was possible because my high school was an all-boy school so we really didn't have to care about our looks. However, some students came to school looking the best they can and I never understood why they would do that. Anywyas, I personally loved having a short hair in high school, probably more so becuase it wasn't enforced

Section 106 – You Hyun Woo

Post by Section 106 – You Hyun Woo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:04 pm

I agree with your thought. When I was in high school as a junior, there is also hair regulation.
My thought is that school doesn't have enough reason to regulate all of the length of the student’s hair.
In the matter of efficient study, hair regulation doesn't help the student.

(103)Choi A Young

Post by (103)Choi A Young » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:57 am

I agree with your opinion.
I also think students have a right to let their hair grow.
Rather, the rigid inspection could give students a lot of stress.
Hair regulation doesn't fit with such open society.

(102) cho hye ryung

Post by (102) cho hye ryung » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:36 pm

I totally agree with your opinion.
When I was in a high school, I abhored this kind of regulation. When we come to think about it, there's no real reason we should cut our hair to study.
Many teacher say that because it befits the status of students. But I wonder what 'it befits the status of students' means. This regulation is just vestiges of Japanese imperialism in 1920's.
We don't have any valid reson to follow this. But when students or some progressive people give a valid reason why we should not follow this rule, they say 'A rule is a rule!'.
I suggest this kind of invalid social stereotype should be abolished and people should have a critical view of invalid rules.

(101)Limseounghoon

Post by (101)Limseounghoon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 pm

This is just what I want to say! I think hair style regulation is kind of vestiges of military rule. Actually, it does nothing.
Some teachers stronly stick to this regulation, because they consider it as a somewhat tradition. surely tradition should be preserved. But it is not a tradition rather evil custom. Therefore, now its a time to shake off it. I already passed the middle school and high school period. However, I hope nowadays children would not be victims of this rule.