ODB 1

This is where Jason's ICC students should post their ODB assignments.

Moderator: Soon Mi

How much intercultural experience do you think you have?

A lot
0
No votes
A fair amount
5
50%
A little
3
30%
Very little
1
10%
None
1
10%
 
Total votes: 10

ICCwonhee
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:27 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICCwonhee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 am

ICC steve wrote:Am I narrow-minded?

Two years ago I was so glad to have a native teacher in our school for the first time. I was assigned to take care of the new teacher. I did almost everything for him I could, including finding an ampartment, furniture, document works, and taking him to neighborhood and city tours, etc... He's American from California. I shared my office with him. We spent a lot of time together. Very frequently I took him out for lunch and dinner and always paid for the meals. Of course, he said, 'Thanks a lot for lunch or dinner'. Here are some problems related to the principle:gve and take. I'm not sure if i'm so narrow-minded. In a Korean way of thinking, if somebody treats you dinner, then most people think they owe the other person and try to retreat him later. That is one of Korean values and i think it's a good way to make a close relationship. However, he did not suggest having dinner on his charge. So let me ask you, "Is it typical of Western culture to say just "Thanks for inviting dinner", without retreating the other person?
I haven't had American friend, so i don't know exactly. But I have many japanese friends. Most of time when I meet them for meal I pay for them except Ducth Treat. Of course, I really want to say why don't we pay for oneself but you know, it makes me feel that i'm narrow-minded person. It's a totally korean man's way of thought. We should tell them that it's time to treat me like that.

ICC steve
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC steve » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:22 am

ICCwonhee wrote:I'd like to talk about an experience in Philippines.
Five years ago, i stayed at cebu and met a Filipina teacher. she had a qualification for teaching but she got a trouble with english pronunciation. It sounded like Tagalog. Many students wanted to change her class and i wanted also. But i had no chose because she was crying too much even in front of students. So, i tried to encourage her and said students moving your class are foolish, if we can't communicate with you how can we do it with people form non-english speakng country. Next day, she invited me for dinner. and i herad she thought that i love her from another teacher. I thank what i did for her is natual and normal in korea but in Philippines, thay take it more seriously. I learn something from this experience that the way to take emotion and to interpret can be quite different in each country.
You were very wise. There is a proverb, 역지사지, put yourself in the other's shoes. If there is a negotiation between your profit and the other's one, it's more desirable from a typical Korean way of thinking to put yourself in the other's position.

User avatar
Jason M. Ham
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Yeokgok, Bucheon, South Korea

Re: ODB 1

Post by Jason M. Ham » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:02 am

This is a great thread, guys. I've read it with interest. Keep up the great discussion. Has anyone had any experiences similar to what Stee described? I think it may depend on the individual involved. Did the teacher adjust to Korean culture smoothly--or did he go through a "rough patch?"

ICC steve
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC steve » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:12 am

ICC eunjeong wrote:
ICC Jisu wrote:In Japan, people are very careful not to cause any discomfort to others. I travelled Japan twice and saw a lot of people wearing flu masks. It looked really different to me because it's not that usual in Korea. Even though it was not such cold as in midwinter, it was like almost every one out of five people was wearing a mask in a subway. I wondered if Japanese are more sensitive to flu or the air is more polluted. But a friend of mine told me the main reason is that they want to make sure they are not causing discomfort to others by breathing out a contagious virus. Probably in Japanese culture, it is considered to be the most important to live in a big community and respect the others.
As you mentioned, it is important to have got a consideration for others. And in addition, we need to take a mask for our health nowadays. According to the weather forecast, there will be a wave the last cold snap from tuesday. Take care !
Don't get me wrong. Speaking of wearing a mask suddenly reminds me of some azummas who go hiking around our neighborhood. Who knows why they wear a weird mask like an alien?

ICC Jisu
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC Jisu » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:43 pm

ICC steve wrote:Am I narrow-minded?

Two years ago I was so glad to have a native teacher in our school for the first time. I was assigned to take care of the new teacher. I did almost everything for him I could, including finding an ampartment, furniture, document works, and taking him to neighborhood and city tours, etc... He's American from California. I shared my office with him. We spent a lot of time together. Very frequently I took him out for lunch and dinner and always paid for the meals. Of course, he said, 'Thanks a lot for lunch or dinner'. Here are some problems related to the principle:gve and take. I'm not sure if i'm so narrow-minded. In a Korean way of thinking, if somebody treats you dinner, then most people think they owe the other person and try to retreat him later. That is one of Korean values and i think it's a good way to make a close relationship. However, he did not suggest having dinner on his charge. So let me ask you, "Is it typical of Western culture to say just "Thanks for inviting dinner", without retreating the other person?

Absolutely, not.
I don't think it was not because of a cultural difference. Maybe because of his personality?
My American co-teacher said she would buy me dinner when I paid for the bill.

ICCwonhee
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:27 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICCwonhee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:10 pm

ICC Jisu wrote:
ICC steve wrote:Am I narrow-minded?

Two years ago I was so glad to have a native teacher in our school for the first time. I was assigned to take care of the new teacher. I did almost everything for him I could, including finding an ampartment, furniture, document works, and taking him to neighborhood and city tours, etc... He's American from California. I shared my office with him. We spent a lot of time together. Very frequently I took him out for lunch and dinner and always paid for the meals. Of course, he said, 'Thanks a lot for lunch or dinner'. Here are some problems related to the principle:gve and take. I'm not sure if i'm so narrow-minded. In a Korean way of thinking, if somebody treats you dinner, then most people think they owe the other person and try to retreat him later. That is one of Korean values and i think it's a good way to make a close relationship. However, he did not suggest having dinner on his charge. So let me ask you, "Is it typical of Western culture to say just "Thanks for inviting dinner", without retreating the other person?

Absolutely, not.
I don't think it was not because of a cultural difference. Maybe because of his personality?
My American co-teacher said she would buy me dinner when I paid for the bill.

Of course, It can be different defending on one's personality. But i think most of korean man try to pay anything first. We can hesitate intentionally in this situation. That is why steve and i feel that korean mans usually are more genereous than others.

ICC Seunghyun
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:53 pm

When I was in tasmania - which is an island located down of the Australia-
I had to take a bus to go to school. Bus drive say "hello" or "hi" to every passengers. The bus driver was not smile for me. but it was still friendly.
I thought driver's greeting to people is because he's job is kind of service part. so he had to kind of people.
One day, I walked on the narrow street, the man who walked on the other side said me 'hello'. I was embarrassed because I didn't know him.
so I asked teacher in language school, she told me "we just do. so don't be nervous. you say hello back to people".
After knowing that it's their culture. I also tried to say hello to people.
later, I felt it was sweet.
I think greeting each other even they don't know each other could be the one of good way to make a good society.

ICC Seunghyun
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:14 pm

ICC_MyungYeon wrote:I'd like to talk my experience in Japan.
Once i travelled in Japnan by subway, I found that many Japanese did not use a cell phone to talk on the subway.
They were prefer to make a text massage.I heard that they did not want to disturb others by their talking expecially in the morning. So many Japanese tried to avoid to talk on the phone or talk with really silent voice on the subway.
My friends and I could not make a call there and if I talked on the phone, I shoud make a very silent voice to follow it.
It was quiet differnce from Korea. In Korea, we are very genouse to use a cell phone on the subway. Even they talk loudly.
I think, Japanese are more considered to keep the public rule to not disturb each others to make more pleasant enviroment.
it's too loud in the korea train. some people watch DMBs without earphones, talk loudly on the phone. it seems like that people are not care about around.
i don't like if it's too quiet. but we need to be more careful in public. :D

ICC Seunghyun
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 pm

ICCseonhee wrote:I'd like to talk about chinese.
According to my experience as a senior or trainer of chinese people - in my company there are many local crews so i had to work with them on the wing or train them to make them as a flight attendents- they always tend to give evidence of their behaviors especially wrong behaviors or mistakes. so it' was not easy for me to adjust to their behavior at the first time.
Once i try to fix them or point out their doings , they don't admit their mistakes or faults and also say nothing to sorry and then try to find excuses.
It's very significant difference between us and them. Usually when people find their mistakes they try to express thier sorriness and improve something. It is natural.
That's why I suffered with them. so I started to study chinese culture and thoughts. Studying other culture and their thoughts gave surprise and realization to me.
Chineses have been trained to find their primafacie evidence of the reason at any time of their life from childhood. It's because of their political and social backgrounds.
They think that if they admit their faults they must get punishment so never admit.
That's the point what I didn't know. After knowing that I could understand their thoughts and acts and also I tried to find other ways to train them and to make them better employee.^^

i wonder how you trained them?

ICC Seunghyun
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:27 pm

ICC kyoung a wrote:I have been to many countries and I really like traveling.
For me, it is about learning other countries, histories and cultures.
The most memorable place I have ever visited was Rome.
There were so many fantastic historical places and lots of food and so many kinds of fruits. I loved try to tasting foreign food and tropical fruits.
I had a lot of greasy food in Rome. I had to go to a toilet frequently.
Whenever I went to a toilet I had to pay for using it and I feel like that it is too expensive.
In korea, we are able to use a toilet without paying.
I was embarrassed to pay for using it and I realized that I live in more convenient place to using public toilet^^*

yes,, right i paid money for restroom ,too. so i went to restroom in hotel before starting a day travel.
i tried to have small amount of water. and i had to drop by restroom when i was in the restaurant..

ICC Seunghyun
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:38 pm

ICC steve wrote:Am I narrow-minded?

Two years ago I was so glad to have a native teacher in our school for the first time. I was assigned to take care of the new teacher. I did almost everything for him I could, including finding an ampartment, furniture, document works, and taking him to neighborhood and city tours, etc... He's American from California. I shared my office with him. We spent a lot of time together. Very frequently I took him out for lunch and dinner and always paid for the meals. Of course, he said, 'Thanks a lot for lunch or dinner'. Here are some problems related to the principle:gve and take. I'm not sure if i'm so narrow-minded. In a Korean way of thinking, if somebody treats you dinner, then most people think they owe the other person and try to retreat him later. That is one of Korean values and i think it's a good way to make a close relationship. However, he did not suggest having dinner on his charge. So let me ask you, "Is it typical of Western culture to say just "Thanks for inviting dinner", without retreating the other person?

i also don't like this situation. i would like to say "let's split the bill" to foreigner friend . but it's hard to say it, isn't it? we also need to say our giving and taking culture even it's little bit difficult.
i think they would understand korea's culture.

ICC Jisu
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC Jisu » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 am

ICC steve wrote:
ICC eunjeong wrote:
ICC Jisu wrote:In Japan, people are very careful not to cause any discomfort to others. I travelled Japan twice and saw a lot of people wearing flu masks. It looked really different to me because it's not that usual in Korea. Even though it was not such cold as in midwinter, it was like almost every one out of five people was wearing a mask in a subway. I wondered if Japanese are more sensitive to flu or the air is more polluted. But a friend of mine told me the main reason is that they want to make sure they are not causing discomfort to others by breathing out a contagious virus. Probably in Japanese culture, it is considered to be the most important to live in a big community and respect the others.
As you mentioned, it is important to have got a consideration for others. And in addition, we need to take a mask for our health nowadays. According to the weather forecast, there will be a wave the last cold snap from tuesday. Take care !
Don't get me wrong. Speaking of wearing a mask suddenly reminds me of some azummas who go hiking around our neighborhood. Who knows why they wear a weird mask like an alien?

Yes, it's very fun! I think that's a part of Korean older ladies' culture and it's getting popular these days. They all look the same wearing a mask and a cap which cover all their faces. Also they are walking really actively! I don't know why, either.

ICC kyoung a
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:57 am

Re: ODB 1

Post by ICC kyoung a » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:35 am

ICCdayeong wrote:When i went to Japan for sightseeing, it looked simmilar to Korea. Tokyo city image like to Seoul.
However, Japane was a little different.
First, Whenever I visited famous restorants crowded with local people, the food was always saulty and fishy.
For example, They made meat sause raw to use egg.
Second, young japanes wore comic costumes. So, I felt in animation.
when I went to Daehangno several years ago, some students were wearing like cartoon character. It was weird and funny to me.

Locked