ODB 2 3 Focus Questions

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their second homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Which is more comfortable for you?

Listening/Speaking English
63%
Reading/Writing English
38%

Total votes : 8

Re: ODB 2 3 Focus Questions

Postby ICCdayoung » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:40 pm

What is culture? A culture is a particular society, especially considered in relation to its beliefs, way of life, or art. Our values, beliefs, and ways of interpreting the world are not absolute in the way that the laws of physics are, that they are a part of our upbringing and cultural heritage and vary accordingly.
How does culture influence behavior? Each culture is different behavior and feature. For example, In some cultures, group work is conceived of as a way of helping each student achieve individually In other cultures, successful group work results in the efforts of individuals to succeed as a whole.
What are some of the central beliefs and values of your culture? Korean have many affection. When my country was IMF time, people helped nation to collect the gold. Presently, Japan is troubled with Tsunamis, Korean donate money to them. This way, we overcome difficulties together, Although their live normally.
ICCdayoung

Postby ICCwonhee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:45 pm

1. what is culture?
Culture differently has made by unique way, adapting changed-environment in many of specific region. those ways of culture include people's life style, behavior and language in specific location. And, cultural difference have been shown obviously in the more distant country than close one's. I think It means culture could be moved to other lend, then in a repetition culture could be reformed by original inhabitant. Therefore, even in a small country such as korea, culture might be appeared quite differently by condition of location and weather that give effect on peolple's character and physical development.

2. How does culture influence behavior?
It is true that korean people are too much conscious of the eyes of others around oneself. Many korean believe that making a good impression in a job interview is as necessary as getting lots of experience to get a good job. so many korean people who prepare interview among them have plastic surgery. It is well shown that how much korean people are conscious of others. And, even in korea when many people buy a new car, they prefer good brand, high price and big size as much as necessity and efficiency because sometimes your car could be standards of judgment that who you are.

3. What are some of the central beliefs and values of your culture?
Before I say central beliefs and values of korean culture, i'd like to mention some part of confucian ideas which is undeniable that is one of the deep-rooted emotion of us. According to "The Three Bonds and Five Relationships" in Confucianism(삼강오륜), Firtst, "The son should keep moral rules for the parent"(부위자강) So, sometimes when parents make a wrong choice, sons and daughters try to bow to their pressure even you are adult. Second, "Husband and wife are kept properly distinctive"(부부유별). I thank this sentence means that Husband and wife have to show their respect one another for different point. but although there was lot of change, many korean men still believe that housework is normally for wife. and even housework is hard as much as outdoor work some men think that is easy and minor. Third, "Younger brothers should yield to older brothers"(장유유서) I have heard that In america, when people treat someone, they don't change their attitudes toward one's age. how much older or younger is not a big deal. But in korea, we can see easily what old men treat young men like servant even they don't know each other. These historical philosophy influence deeply in our culture and it is undeniable that these philosophy are one of the most powerful standards of interpretation for central beliefs and value of us culture.
ICCwonhee

Postby ICCwonhee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:01 pm

ICCdayoung wrote:What is culture? A culture is a particular society, especially considered in relation to its beliefs, way of life, or art. Our values, beliefs, and ways of interpreting the world are not absolute in the way that the laws of physics are, that they are a part of our upbringing and cultural heritage and vary accordingly.
How does culture influence behavior? Each culture is different behavior and feature. For example, In some cultures, group work is conceived of as a way of helping each student achieve individually In other cultures, successful group work results in the efforts of individuals to succeed as a whole.
What are some of the central beliefs and values of your culture? Korean have many affection. When my country was IMF time, people helped nation to collect the gold. Presently, Japan is troubled with Tsunamis, Korean donate money to them. This way, we overcome difficulties together, Although their live normally.

actually, I haven't got second question exactly. Did you mean that people from different country could be conducting differently in a same condition? If it is possible could you give me more example?
ICCwonhee

Re: Korea's food culture

Postby ICCwonhee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 pm

ICC kyoung a wrote:Culture is a huge concept. When I hear the word culture, I usually think about food. I would like to talk about food culture. Every country has its own unique food culture. We have a bunch of different foods in Korea that are intended to have positive effects on one's health. Dogs meat is one of them. The dog meat stew is called boshintang, and it is known to enhance one's energy level and even stamina. Many Westerners may be shocked that koreans eat dog, but it has been a part of Korean culture for hundreds of years. And there is a common breed of dogs that are eaten, which are normally grown on farms. It is not like we eat pet dogs we raise at home. Also other cultures eat exotic things that Koreans don't eat. I think that we could understand the culture of each other better if we learn cultures through various food culture.

I agree that food could be one of the most interesting culture. As you mention, culture has a enormous concept, so speaking of the food culture, i think that there must be many kind of story not olny different sort food but also way to eat or something. Here is a interesting story when i stay in Australia, there was a tree in house garden. It looks like papaya but the fruit taste sweet so weakly and the smell likes ginkgo nut. Then i thought who's gonig to have this weird fruit but i was wrong. one of neighborhood, Australian ask me to get this. It was kind of surprise of me because i thought foreigner except some country of asian never eat smell thing.
ICCwonhee

Postby ICC Jisu » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 am

ICC_MyungYeon wrote:I think the culture is people' base to live. I mean that the culture is effeted everthing for people such as living way , general moral even food.
Those elements make the standard rule to follow people. So people could follow the major culture which most people do.
Regarding Korean unique culture, I'd like to talk " respective way".
For exampe, Korean has various respective expression to talk. As many people know that once Korean young people meet older people, we have to use resfective language called "Jondeakmal".Becauce young people think older people know more than them and could teach them based on thire experience.
So we do that as a part of respective way.
Plus, once korean young people meet the elderly on the subway, they are automatically stand up and ask to sit their seat instead of them.
Becasue young people cares about the elderly who are older and weaker than them. It is a kind of respective way to express.It is not just for elderly.
It could be for pregnant women and disabled people. Actually this is not a obiligation but we are following it as a part of our culture.
Nowadays, this situations are deceasing , Because I think many korean go to abroad to have many culture expeerience. So they could be effected from that.
but It is still existed. I hope, korean's respective way should be existed longer as a good case . ^^

When I'm on the subway and an older person stands right in front of me, I feel I have to give up my seat for him/her. I like that culture and I am sad since more young people do not these days.
ICC Jisu

Postby mildrey8306 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:50 pm

i really enjoyed your article, it was very interesting to know about Korean's culture. i think culture means where are you from and who you are, but is is important if we are going to visit a foreign country we have to consider the its customs. also we can adopted other culture, for example i came from Cuba, but now i am living in USA, i try to do Americans thing like cook as they do, speak English as much as i can and so on.
mildrey8306

Previous

Return to ODB 2