ODB 3 Instructions

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their third homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

How interculturally competent do you think you are?

completely
No votes
somewhat
63%
not sure
38%
not very
No votes
not at all
No votes

Total votes: 8

ICC_MyungYeon

Re: ODB 3 Instructions

Post by ICC_MyungYeon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Jason M. Ham wrote:Please answer the following questions (in a new topic) for your third ODB assignment. Remember to reply to two other posts as well (as usual). This should be completed by next class (4/8).
1. Do a quick online search for the definition of intercultural competence (or check your notes). What is intercultural competence?
2. What is necessary for a person to become interculturally competent? Do you possess any of these characteristics?
Regarding the first question, There is the definition of Intercultural competence as blow.
Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate with people from different culture effectively.
Plus, The most need to be interculturally competent is acceptance. I think that is also related to understanding the differences.
Becasue it should help people adapt in any nation by acceptance and understanding there culture.
Once I was in Canada, I remeber one experience about wating way. Especially for restroom case, In korea, we are lined-up each door. but In Canada is different. At that time i did not know that . so I was linned- up as I had been in usual. Fortanetly my friend tole me how to line-up in Canada.
As soon as I heared that I accepted it to adapt there. If I did not accept it, I would be a stranger and kind of rude.
As I experienced, I am very flexiable to accept other culture's differences. :)

ICCdayoung

Post by ICCdayoung » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:38 pm

intercultural competence is defined as a different sense, though is a field of study that looks at how people from differing cultural backgrounds communicate, in similar and different ways among themselves, and how they endeavour to communicate across cultures. Intercultural differences can be narrowed with 'positive perspective' for each other. One of many cultural difference examples is food. In France, eating monkey brains and goose liver. When viewed from different countries can be very loathe this food. French consume monkey brains and goose liver because they are great for health. Chinese often eat fried insects and pigeons. Although this is common in China, it is unusual for people with different cultures. However, this sould not be the reason for calling them uncivilized. Since the ancient times, Chinese have dreamed for long living. Insects are full of proteins, which made them popular and became one of the traditions. This also implies for eating pigeons. Therefore people should not view Chinese as uncivilized for their cultural differences. Therefore criticizing other countries with different cultures should not be done but rather viewed with positive perspective. Once people accept different cultures in positive attitudes, the various cultures also will be accepted naturally.

ICCdayoung

Post by ICCdayoung » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:47 pm

ICC_MyungYeon wrote:
Jason M. Ham wrote:Please answer the following questions (in a new topic) for your third ODB assignment. Remember to reply to two other posts as well (as usual). This should be completed by next class (4/8).
1. Do a quick online search for the definition of intercultural competence (or check your notes). What is intercultural competence?
2. What is necessary for a person to become interculturally competent? Do you possess any of these characteristics?
Regarding the first question, There is the definition of Intercultural competence as blow.
Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate with people from different culture effectively.
Plus, The most need to be interculturally competent is acceptance. I think that is also related to understanding the differences.
Becasue it should help people adapt in any nation by acceptance and understanding there culture.
Once I was in Canada, I remeber one experience about wating way. Especially for restroom case, In korea, we are lined-up each door. but In Canada is different. At that time i did not know that . so I was linned- up as I had been in usual. Fortanetly my friend tole me how to line-up in Canada.
As soon as I heared that I accepted it to adapt there. If I did not accept it, I would be a stranger and kind of rude.
As I experienced, I am very flexiable to accept other culture's differences. :)
These days, my country start standing out one line, before this campaign wasn't commonplace in Korea, I had such experiences in other countries before.

ICC Seunghyun

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 pm

1,Intercultural competence is the ability of successful communication with people of other cultures.
2, to become intercultural competent, people need to understand , respect their culture. Last February, I went to china for pleasure with my family. It was on the 15th of January in lunar calendar. The tour guide account for Chinese superstition. Chinese believe that fireworks can throw ghost out. According to guide, Chinese also like to do firework seriously. So government give a permission that people only enjoy it from on the 1st to 15th of January in lunar calendar. The day I went was the last day , they can do fireworks legally. After the sun went down, the firework sounded occasionally. As time went on, fireworks sounded more often. People did fireworks on the middle or corner of the street. I was scared because the sound was like explosion
Chinese spend money more than $100 in average for this moment. It seemed useless I thought. On the other, it was interesting of experiencing other culture directly. .

ICC Seunghyun

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:34 pm

ICCdayoung wrote:intercultural competence is defined as a different sense, though is a field of study that looks at how people from differing cultural backgrounds communicate, in similar and different ways among themselves, and how they endeavour to communicate across cultures. Intercultural differences can be narrowed with 'positive perspective' for each other. One of many cultural difference examples is food. In France, eating monkey brains and goose liver. When viewed from different countries can be very loathe this food. French consume monkey brains and goose liver because they are great for health. Chinese often eat fried insects and pigeons. Although this is common in China, it is unusual for people with different cultures. However, this sould not be the reason for calling them uncivilized. Since the ancient times, Chinese have dreamed for long living. Insects are full of proteins, which made them popular and became one of the traditions. This also implies for eating pigeons. Therefore people should not view Chinese as uncivilized for their cultural differences. Therefore criticizing other countries with different cultures should not be done but rather viewed with positive perspective. Once people accept different cultures in positive attitudes, the various cultures also will be accepted naturally.

i think people in everywhere like to have healthy food. so people should not criticize what other people have as food.

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 pm

The definition of intercultural competence is "Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate successfully with people of other cultures". I think that every country has its own culture characteristics. There are different language, religion, values, history and etc. In order to understanding another cultures, it is a good way to have chances to travel another country. When I stayed France last year, I had a lunch with my family ,i saw next to the persons paid individually for example some person paid credit card the other person by cash. It was so interesting to me, when we paid individually we gather some money and then a person to pay a bill. Another experience is that I signed up for an english academy 3 years ago. As soon as I went to there, the academy closed. There were so many people already paid their tuition. Everyone didn't refund their tuition, even tough a native english teacher have no place to live in. While he was looking for a new job I helped him sincerely. Finally he got a job another english institute. He had a really open-minded even though he had a bad experience. He tried to understand our culture, values, history, our lives. He was a really considerative person. Could I have open-minded if I were him?.

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm

ICCdayoung wrote:intercultural competence is defined as a different sense, though is a field of study that looks at how people from differing cultural backgrounds communicate, in similar and different ways among themselves, and how they endeavour to communicate across cultures. Intercultural differences can be narrowed with 'positive perspective' for each other. One of many cultural difference examples is food. In France, eating monkey brains and goose liver. When viewed from different countries can be very loathe this food. French consume monkey brains and goose liver because they are great for health. Chinese often eat fried insects and pigeons. Although this is common in China, it is unusual for people with different cultures. However, this sould not be the reason for calling them uncivilized. Since the ancient times, Chinese have dreamed for long living. Insects are full of proteins, which made them popular and became one of the traditions. This also implies for eating pigeons. Therefore people should not view Chinese as uncivilized for their cultural differences. Therefore criticizing other countries with different cultures should not be done but rather viewed with positive perspective. Once people accept different cultures in positive attitudes, the various cultures also will be accepted naturally.
I agree with you. Every country has its own unique food culture. So it is an important thing to understanding their food culture.

ICCwonhee

Post by ICCwonhee » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:16 am

Intercultural competence is the level of skill of abilites communicate(interacts) successfully with people of other culture. To be interculturally competent, a person might need different languages, understand potential differences of other culture and awareness of self and others and language.
To become intercultural competent person, at first, you should open your mind toward opposite side of person from different culture. Because unless you know the rules other cultures practice, you will discover that you can't predict how the person of other cultures will behave even in similar situations which is you have in your country. So in this point of view, without unconditional receptive attitude, how would you bear impacts or shocks from difference of culture
I think I am good at adapting myself to new circumstance. For example, when I when to the Philippines, one of my Filipino teacher invited me her home for dinner. Truly, some food really looked unpleasant and the smell was unfamiliar to me. But I heard it is very rare for Filipinos to invite foreigner. So I tried to express my attitude as naturally as I could.

ICCwonhee

Post by ICCwonhee » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:22 am

ICC Jisu wrote:
ICC eunjeong wrote:Intercultural Competence is the ability to communicate with people from different culture effectively. To be interculturally competent, a person might need knowledge of language, understanding potential differences, and awareness of self and others. You should be open-minded to interact with people and know what their norms, beliefs, values and attitudes. Actually, I don’t have many experiences of meeting foreigners or living in overseas country. But I’d like to talk about tipping culture. Though tipping is taken for granted in Western cultures, it is a somewhat foreign concept to Korea. I remembered that I was embarrassed because I didn’t know how much I had to give a tip when I went on a honeymoon to Philippine. With the help of a guide, I sure tipped a hotel bellhop, a chambermaid and so on. Because it is the culture of the country, and I should follow it even though I feel awkward a little. Nowadays Korea is getting change, so you sometimes can see that someone give a tip to a waiter or a waitress for good service. If you are given a good service by a kind waitress in Korea, what will you do? Will you give a tip or not?

I have shown my friend around Seoul. She was born in Paraguay and has lived in America. So she never went through Korean culture except her family. When she got her hair permed and colored, she was trying to give a tip to the hairdresser. I was so embarrassed and told her not to do so. I hope this Korean culture wouldn't change. I don't want to spend extra money. :(
You are so funny.ã…‹ã…‹ As you know I have been working at my father's Motel. And a few foreign guests gave me some tip. It made me embarrassed at first but soon I felt nice. So why don't you try to give some tip, They will offer much better service than you paid. It'll help to create new better culture.

ICC steve

Post by ICC steve » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:06 am

ICC Jisu wrote:
ICC eunjeong wrote:Intercultural Competence is the ability to communicate with people from different culture effectively. To be interculturally competent, a person might need knowledge of language, understanding potential differences, and awareness of self and others. You should be open-minded to interact with people and know what their norms, beliefs, values and attitudes. Actually, I don’t have many experiences of meeting foreigners or living in overseas country. But I’d like to talk about tipping culture. Though tipping is taken for granted in Western cultures, it is a somewhat foreign concept to Korea. I remembered that I was embarrassed because I didn’t know how much I had to give a tip when I went on a honeymoon to Philippine. With the help of a guide, I sure tipped a hotel bellhop, a chambermaid and so on. Because it is the culture of the country, and I should follow it even though I feel awkward a little. Nowadays Korea is getting change, so you sometimes can see that someone give a tip to a waiter or a waitress for good service. If you are given a good service by a kind waitress in Korea, what will you do? Will you give a tip or not?

I have shown my friend around Seoul. She was born in Paraguay and has lived in America. So she never went through Korean culture except her family. When she got her hair permed and colored, she was trying to give a tip to the hairdresser. I was so embarrassed and told her not to do so. I hope this Korean culture wouldn't change. I don't want to spend extra money. :(
Tipping for services is not Korean custom, isn't it? But I think tip is already included in the charge. We just don't know that we pay some tip for their services indirectly. That is my weird reasoning. Anyway, I like the culture with no tipping.ã… ã… ã… 

ICC eunjeong

Post by ICC eunjeong » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:12 am

ICCwonhee wrote:Intercultural competence is the level of skill of abilites communicate(interacts) successfully with people of other culture. To be interculturally competent, a person might need different languages, understand potential differences of other culture and awareness of self and others and language.
To become intercultural competent person, at first, you should open your mind toward opposite side of person from different culture. Because unless you know the rules other cultures practice, you will discover that you can't predict how the person of other cultures will behave even in similar situations which is you have in your country. So in this point of view, without unconditional receptive attitude, how would you bear impacts or shocks from difference of culture
I think I am good at adapting myself to new circumstance. For example, when I when to the Philippines, one of my Filipino teacher invited me her home for dinner. Truly, some food really looked unpleasant and the smell was unfamiliar to me. But I heard it is very rare for Filipinos to invite foreigner. So I tried to express my attitude as naturally as I could.
I had a similar experience. When I stayed in homestay in New Zealand, one day, the owner cooked roast mutton for dinner. (I think that she wanted to treat to me.) It looked like a big pork hock and smelled like a roast dog meat in Korea. Its smell made me feel nauseous so I couldn’t eat it at once. I thank her for cooking first and I brought it to my room. Actually, I didn’t like it so I wanted to throw it away, but I couldn’t. Finally, I ate it with a red pepper paste which I brought from Korea.

ICC steve

Post by ICC steve » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:22 am

ICC kyoung a wrote:The definition of intercultural competence is "Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate successfully with people of other cultures". I think that every country has its own culture characteristics. There are different language, religion, values, history and etc. In order to understanding another cultures, it is a good way to have chances to travel another country. When I stayed France last year, I had a lunch with my family ,i saw next to the persons paid individually for example some person paid credit card the other person by cash. It was so interesting to me, when we paid individually we gather some money and then a person to pay a bill. Another experience is that I signed up for an english academy 3 years ago. As soon as I went to there, the academy closed. There were so many people already paid their tuition. Everyone didn't refund their tuition, even tough a native english teacher have no place to live in. While he was looking for a new job I helped him sincerely. Finally he got a job another english institute. He had a really open-minded even though he had a bad experience. He tried to understand our culture, values, history, our lives. He was a really considerative person. Could I have open-minded if I were him?.
How nice of you to help him with a new job!!! You know, we all have the same goal, which is living a happy life, but we have different ways to reach it, which could be cultural differences. I think we can understand, accept, and respect, sometimes, compromise with them.

ICC steve

Post by ICC steve » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:32 am

ICC eunjeong wrote:
ICCwonhee wrote:Intercultural competence is the level of skill of abilites communicate(interacts) successfully with people of other culture. To be interculturally competent, a person might need different languages, understand potential differences of other culture and awareness of self and others and language.
I had a similar experience. When I stayed in homestay in New Zealand, one day, the owner cooked roast mutton for dinner. (I think that she wanted to treat to me.) It looked like a big pork hock and smelled like a roast dog meat in Korea. Its smell made me feel nauseous so I couldn’t eat it at once. I thank her for cooking first and I brought it to my room. Actually, I didn’t like it so I wanted to throw it away, but I couldn’t. Finally, I ate it with a red pepper paste which I brought from Korea.
You guys are so nice. You must have some wisdom to not offend others' feelings in front of them, letting your feelings unnoticed. Their hospitality should be more valued than your unpleasantness at that moment, right?