ODB 3 Instructions

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their third homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

How interculturally competent do you think you are?

completely
No votes
somewhat
56%
not sure
44%
not very
No votes
not at all
No votes

Total votes: 9

Jason M. Ham

ODB 3 Instructions

Post by Jason M. Ham »

Please answer the following questions (in a new topic) for your third ODB assignment. Remember to reply to two other posts as well (as usual). This should be completed by next class (4/8).
1. Do a quick online search for the definition of intercultural competence (or check your notes). What is intercultural competence?
2. What is necessary for a person to become interculturally competent? Do you possess any of these characteristics?

ICC Jisu

Re: ODB 3 Instructions

Post by ICC Jisu »

I found a clear definition of intercultural competence in wikipedia. Cultural competence refers to an ability to interact effectivly with people of different cultures.
Having first-hand experiences in other cultures helps a lot to be interculturally competent. We know that every culture has its own characteristics. But we don't know how different each culture is from others or ours. I have traveled several countries and sometimes stayed over for weeks. When I first saw all the shops and restaurants without their front doors in some region of Vietnam, it was really shocking. It looke like people eat and drink 'on the street,' not inside the restaurant. After I felt the summer heat and humidity, I could understand their way of life. As the air-conditioning is not good enough yet, they have to adapt to where they live. It took me time to get used to the cultural difference and to talk to Vietnamese without any streotypes.

ICC steve

Be open-minded

Post by ICC steve »

The answer to the first question on the ODB 3 is "Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate successfully with people of other cultures". However, the second question is quite tough to answer. I'm not sure what's necessary to become interculturally competent, but 'being open-minded" could be one of the answers. There is a proverb ' When in Rome, do like Romans do". When you visit or stay at a foreign country, all you have to do is observe and adapt to the new cultures with your open-mindedness. It means that you should try to avoid judging and evaluating their cultures from the viewpoint of your own country. The value of culture is relative, not the one measured by superiority or inferiority. You should be open-minded towards different cultures and respect them. Of course, there are sometimes chances that you can experience lots of misunderstanding from cultural differences. In those cases, in order to find the solutions to the misunderstanding, you can just observe the local people or you can come ask them honestly what it is to be polite or rude in certain situations in your country. Then you might be giving them an impression that you are willing to learn and accept their cultures with the open-mindedness. In a word, don’t judge which culture is superior or inferior. Respect them and try to learn what small C means. :lol:
Last edited by ICC steve on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ICC steve

Post by ICC steve »

ICC Jisu wrote:I found a clear definition of intercultural competence in wikipedia. Cultural competence refers to an ability to interact effectivly with people of different cultures.
Having first-hand experiences in other cultures helps a lot to be interculturally competent. We know that every culture has its own characteristics. But we don't know how different each culture is from others or ours. I have traveled several countries and sometimes stayed over for weeks. When I first saw all the shops and restaurants without their front doors in some region of Vietnam, it was really shocking. It looke like people eat and drink 'on the street,' not inside the restaurant. After I felt the summer heat and humidity, I could understand their way of life. As the air-conditioning is not good enough yet, they have to adapt to where they live. It took me time to get used to the cultural difference and to talk to Vietnamese without any streotypes.

You are such a diligent student ! I envy your travel experiences abroad. I'd like to ask you what you felt first when you saw people eating on the streets. How did you know why they are eating outside? By observation or asking the locals straightforward?

ICCseonhee

Post by ICCseonhee »

Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate with people from different culture effectively. To be interculturally competent, we might need language proficiency, understand potential differences of other culture and awareness of ourselves and others. That's what I found. and i thought intercultural competence is interconnected with `small c'. isn't it?
And I think i posses some chanteristics to be interculturally competent. I try to be open-minded when i encounter other culture and deepen my understanding of other cultures even though it is really hard to accept(for example Ramadan in Muslim-when i was in Dubai for business i was just dying of starving during Ramadan ). Usually I'm willing to enter other culture and understand them.
Last edited by ICCseonhee on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ICC Seunghyun

Post by ICC Seunghyun »

ICCseonhee wrote:Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate with people from different culture effectively. To be interculturally competent, we might need language proficiency, understand potential differences of other culture and awareness of ourselves and others. That's what I found. and i thought intercultural competence is interconnected with `small c'. isn't it?
And I think i posses some chanteristics to be interculturally competent. I try to be open-minded when i encounter other culture and deepen my understanding of other cultures even though it is really hard to accept(for example Ramadan in Muslim-when i was in Dubai for business i was just dying of starving during Ramadan ). Usually I'm willing to enter other culture and understand them.

so you couldn't have anything during ramadan ,even you are foreigner...? that's interesting...i will not go to muslim countries during ramadan...

ICC Seunghyun

Re: Be open-minded

Post by ICC Seunghyun »

ICC steve wrote:The answer to the first question on the ODB 3 is "Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate successfully with people of other cultures". However, the second question is quite tough to answer. I'm not sure what's necessary to become interculturally competent, but 'being open-minded" could be one of the answers. There is a proverb ' When in Rome, do like Romans do". When you visit or stay at a foreign country, all you have to do is observe and adapt to the new cultures with your open-mindedness. It means that you should try to avoid judging and evaluating their cultures from the viewpoint of your own country. The value of culture is relative, not the one measured by superiority or inferiority. You should be open-minded towards different cultures and respect them. Of course, there are sometimes chances that you can experience lots of misunderstanding from cultural differences. In those cases, in order to find the solutions to the misunderstanding, you can just observe the local people or you can come ask them honestly what it is to be polite or rude in certain situations in your country. Then you might be giving them an impression that you are willing to learn and accept their cultures with the open-mindedness. In a word, don’t judge which culture is superior or inferior. Respect them and try to learn what small C means. :lol:

i think your writing includs all about what interculturally competent. and good to read your opinion^^

ICCseonhee

Post by ICCseonhee »

ICC Seunghyun wrote:
ICCseonhee wrote:Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate with people from different culture effectively. To be interculturally competent, we might need language proficiency, understand potential differences of other culture and awareness of ourselves and others. That's what I found. and i thought intercultural competence is interconnected with `small c'. isn't it?

so you couldn't have anything during ramadan ,even you are foreigner...? that's interesting...i will not go to muslim countries during ramadan...
I could eat but i couldn't ..because they didn't work. every restaurants and markets were closed.-.-

ICCseonhee

Post by ICCseonhee »

ICC steve wrote:The answer to the first question on the ODB 3 is "Intercultural competence is the ability to communicate successfully with people of other cultures". However, the second question is quite tough to answer. I'm not sure what's necessary to become interculturally competent, but 'being open-minded" could be one of the answers. There is a proverb ' When in Rome, do like Romans do". When you visit or stay at a foreign country, all you have to do is observe and adapt to the new cultures with your open-mindedness. It means that you should try to avoid judging and evaluating their cultures from the viewpoint of your own country. The value of culture is relative, not the one measured by superiority or inferiority. You should be open-minded towards different cultures and respect them. Of course, there are sometimes chances that you can experience lots of misunderstanding from cultural differences. In those cases, in order to find the solutions to the misunderstanding, you can just observe the local people or you can come ask them honestly what it is to be polite or rude in certain situations in your country. Then you might be giving them an impression that you are willing to learn and accept their cultures with the open-mindedness. In a word, don’t judge which culture is superior or inferior. Respect them and try to learn what small C means. :lol:

I think you're already interculturally competent. because you have the important element that is `being open-minded'^^

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a »

I totally agree with you. When i went to Malaysia 3 years ago, there were some people wearing black long clothes. It looks Muslim, I had a little bit prejudice about them. It’s a shame but i couldn't be open-minded about them.

ICC eunjeong

Post by ICC eunjeong »

Intercultural Competence is the ability to communicate with people from different culture effectively. To be interculturally competent, a person might need knowledge of language, understanding potential differences, and awareness of self and others. You should be open-minded to interact with people and know what their norms, beliefs, values and attitudes. Actually, I don’t have many experiences of meeting foreigners or living in overseas country. But I’d like to talk about tipping culture. Though tipping is taken for granted in Western cultures, it is a somewhat foreign concept to Korea. I remembered that I was embarrassed because I didn’t know how much I had to give a tip when I went on a honeymoon to Philippine. With the help of a guide, I sure tipped a hotel bellhop, a chambermaid and so on. Because it is the culture of the country, and I should follow it even though I feel awkward a little. Nowadays Korea is getting change, so you sometimes can see that someone give a tip to a waiter or a waitress for good service. If you are given a good service by a kind waitress in Korea, what will you do? Will you give a tip or not?

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu »

ICC eunjeong wrote:Intercultural Competence is the ability to communicate with people from different culture effectively. To be interculturally competent, a person might need knowledge of language, understanding potential differences, and awareness of self and others. You should be open-minded to interact with people and know what their norms, beliefs, values and attitudes. Actually, I don’t have many experiences of meeting foreigners or living in overseas country. But I’d like to talk about tipping culture. Though tipping is taken for granted in Western cultures, it is a somewhat foreign concept to Korea. I remembered that I was embarrassed because I didn’t know how much I had to give a tip when I went on a honeymoon to Philippine. With the help of a guide, I sure tipped a hotel bellhop, a chambermaid and so on. Because it is the culture of the country, and I should follow it even though I feel awkward a little. Nowadays Korea is getting change, so you sometimes can see that someone give a tip to a waiter or a waitress for good service. If you are given a good service by a kind waitress in Korea, what will you do? Will you give a tip or not?

I have shown my friend around Seoul. She was born in Paraguay and has lived in America. So she never went through Korean culture except her family. When she got her hair permed and colored, she was trying to give a tip to the hairdresser. I was so embarrassed and told her not to do so. I hope this Korean culture wouldn't change. I don't want to spend extra money. :(

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu »

ICC steve wrote:
ICC Jisu wrote:I found a clear definition of intercultural competence in wikipedia. Cultural competence refers to an ability to interact effectivly with people of different cultures.

You are such a diligent student ! I envy your travel experiences abroad. I'd like to ask you what you felt first when you saw people eating on the streets. How did you know why they are eating outside? By observation or asking the locals straightforward?

After a couple of days in Hochimin, I thought people don't want to close the door due to the heat and humidity. And one Korean man told me that it's true. I also saw electric fans spining without their covers. It was shocking, wasn't it? I heard people think it's cooler when the fan is without its cover.

ICC steve

Post by ICC steve »

Actually, I had an experience that my friend got sick very seriously because of Ramadan. In fact, it happened about a week before Ramada starts. He was practicing fast in advance. He did not eat anything but some coffee. One day while he was driving, he got a problem in his stomach, which is 위경련,"acute stomach cramp". Fortunately, I took him to a hospital and he was safe after receiving emergency treatments. Anyway, I thought Ramadan means much more to Muslim than I might expect.

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham »

Interesting. Were you expected to observe Ramadan as well--even though you weren't Muslim? Or did you decide to fast on your own?
Aah. Oops, I see Seung-hyun asked the same question above. Good question, Seung-hyun. ;-)