ODB 5 Instructions (3 van den Hoven Focus Qs)

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their fifth homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Which articles have been most helpful and interesting for you so far?

Culture Definition & Lenses
50%
Fluent Fool
38%
Why English? The Historical Context
No votes
The Cultural Basis of Teaching EIL
No votes
Whose English Should We Teach?
13%

Total votes: 8

ICCdayoung

Re: ODB 5 Instructions (3 van den Hoven Focus Qs)

Post by ICCdayoung » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:18 am

ICC Jisu wrote:1. There are many viable answers: The English I speak, Everyday English, The English Grammar I was taught and a touch of Konglish, American English, British English, Standard English. I agree with all of them because each of them is definitely ENGLISH.

2. Though an international standard of English seems ideal, however, the reality is that no one yet has convincingly shown what this standard should look and sound like. The effort to quantify and qualify an international standard of English has been neglected. An international standard needs to be both internationally accredited, and serve as a tool enabling speakers all over the world to communicate meaningfully and intelligibly. Thus far the definition of such an international standard has been elusive.

3. According to her, we should offer input coming from a plurality of sources: 1) A blend of the variety of English that you speak, 2) the standard varieties embedded in text, and 3) sound bytes of the multiple varieties that can be accessed from guest speakers, movie DVDs from non-Hollywood industries, and downloaded radio broadcasts. In Korea, most students have been struggling to master American English. When I provide them with different sources of English, they would feel overwhelmed by new accent and pronunciation. And they usually make fun of Southeast Asian English. I think EFL teachers should offer a variety of World Englishes and try to have a lesson
free from prejudice.
I agree that without prejudice in English class.

ICCdayoung

Re: Whose English should I teach?

Post by ICCdayoung » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:23 am

ICC steve wrote:“Whose English should we teach?" is hard to answer. Perhaps your answers are "The English I speak", "Everyday English", "The English grammar I was taught and a touch of Konglish", "British English" "American English", or "Standard English". This is an interesting question. As an English teacher, we are so used to the English textbooks made by our government. We have considered them as "Standard English". If so, we need a clear explanation of "Standard English" from them.

According to van den Hoven, so far, the effort to quantify and qualify an international standard has been neglected. However, whatever criteria, an international standard of English needs to be both internationally accredited and serve as a tool enabling speaker all over the world to communicate meaningfully and intelligibly. If the key ingredients of Standard English are to communicate meaningfully and intelligibly, she argues that EFL teachers should input coming from a plurality of sources in classes in Korea: a blend of the variety of English that you speak, the standard embedded in text and sound bytes of the multiple varieties.

For me, I think I have input American English in classes consciously or unconsciously. I'm not sure, but we seem to teach American English in classrooms, which is Standard English just from our personal judgment. However, if we should teach Standard English whose criteria are to enable meaningful and intelligible communication around the world, and if our goal is to build communicative competence, we should expose our students to varieties of
English in EFL classes.
I think diversity is important in class, too.

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:22 pm

ICCwonhee wrote:
ICC Jisu wrote:1. There are many viable answers: The English I speak, Everyday English, The English Grammar I was taught and a touch of Konglish, American English, British English, Standard English. I agree with all of them because each of them is definitely ENGLISH.

2. Though an international standard of English seems ideal, however, the reality is that no one yet has convincingly shown what this standard should look and sound like. The effort to quantify and qualify an international standard of English has been neglected. An international standard needs to be both internationally accredited, and serve as a tool enabling speakers all over the world to communicate meaningfully and intelligibly. Thus far the definition of such an international standard has been elusive.

3. According to her, we should offer input coming from a plurality of sources: 1) A blend of the variety of English that you speak, 2) the standard varieties embedded in text, and 3) sound bytes of the multiple varieties that can be accessed from guest speakers, movie DVDs from non-Hollywood industries, and downloaded radio broadcasts. In Korea, most students have been struggling to master American English. When I provide them with different sources of English, they would feel overwhelmed by new accent and pronunciation. And they usually make fun of Southeast Asian English. I think EFL teachers should offer a variety of World Englishes and try to have a lesson free from prejudice.
Yes, you are right, but who can be EFL teacher.? Frankly, to be EFL teacher is almost impossibel for teachers who study and live in korea.

Why not? You definitely can become an EFL teacher in Korea! Not an ESL teacher :)

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 pm

1.“The English I speak”, “Everyday English”, or “The English grammar I was taught and a touch of Konglish”, “American English”, “British English”, and also “Standard English”. I just learned the English though the text book. I though that it is "Standard English"

2. Though an international standard of English seems ideal, the reality, however, is that no one yet has convincingly shown what this standard should look and sound like. An international standard needs to be both internationally accredited, and serve as a tool enabling speakers all over the world to communicate meaningfully and intelligibly. Thus far the definition of such an international standard has been elusive.

3. According to van den Hoven, we should offer input coming from a plurality of sources: â‘  A blend of the variety of English that you speak, â‘¡ The standard varieties embedded in text, â‘¢ Sound bytes of multiple varieties that can be accessed from guest speakers, movie DVDs from non-Hollywood industries, and downloaded radio broadcasts. I totally agree with her. I think there are a variety of English.

ICC kyoung a

Re: Whose English should I teach?

Post by ICC kyoung a » Sun May 15, 2011 2:17 pm

ICC steve wrote:“Whose English should we teach?" is hard to answer. Perhaps your answers are "The English I speak", "Everyday English", "The English grammar I was taught and a touch of Konglish", "British English" "American English", or "Standard English". This is an interesting question. As an English teacher, we are so used to the English textbooks made by our government. We have considered them as "Standard English". If so, we need a clear explanation of "Standard English" from them.

According to van den Hoven, so far, the effort to quantify and qualify an international standard has been neglected. However, whatever criteria, an international standard of English needs to be both internationally accredited and serve as a tool enabling speaker all over the world to communicate meaningfully and intelligibly. If the key ingredients of Standard English are to communicate meaningfully and intelligibly, she argues that EFL teachers should input coming from a plurality of sources in classes in Korea: a blend of the variety of English that you speak, the standard embedded in text and sound bytes of the multiple varieties.

For me, I think I have input American English in classes consciously or unconsciously. I'm not sure, but we seem to teach American English in classrooms, which is Standard English just from our personal judgment. However, if we should teach Standard English whose criteria are to enable meaningful and intelligible communication around the world, and if our goal is to build communicative competence, we should expose our students to varieties of English in EFL classes.
I agree with your thought. When I was my school days , I learned English from text book. I have thought it "Standard English".

leifaldrin

Post by leifaldrin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Great facts.i will really learn here.